Goodbye to Blues

DSC_8630
Marleen Knight touches her husband’s face for the final time.

Scores of relatives and friends, many of them dressed in blue, turned up this morning at the Abundant Life Assembly to bid farewell to 57-year-old Selwyn ‘Blues’ Knight, a man described by eulogist Bryon Gill and Reverend Kevin Hunte as a devoted family man.

Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 2.35.36 PM
Selwyn Knight was shot dead on March 15.

Knight and his son Junior were shot by an off-duty police officer in Dash Gap, Bush Hall, St Michael on March 15, as they tried to recover items from Jamal Skeete who had broken into their nearby Queen Mary Road, Bank Hall home.

Neither Commissioner of Police Tyrone Griffith nor any senior member of the Royal Barbados Police Force attended Knight’s funeral.

DSC_8689
Part of the congregation. Many people donned blue in memory of Selwyn ‘Blues’ Knight.

In his eulogy Gill told those gathered, including parliamentary representative for St Michael Central Steve Blackett, that Knight loved his family.

He also recalled that Knight struck up many good relationships with patrons at Harbour Lights nightclub where he worked for several years as a bartender.

In his brief sermon, Reverend Hunte said Blues loved his grandchildren just as much as he loved his children.

During the two-hour funeral service, calypsonian Colin ‘Observer’ Reid paid tribute in song with a beautiful rendition of the song He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother.

Also paying tribute in song were Angel Savoury who sang His Strength is Perfect and Natalie Thomas who performed You Raise Me Up.

Knight’s widow Marleen sat quietly during and before the funeral service but when her husband’s body was taken from the church and placed in the waiting hearse, she wailed loudly and had to be consoled by her sister Virene Mayers and a friend.

DSC_8613
MP for St Michael Central Steve Blackett came out to support the Knight family.

55 Responses to Goodbye to Blues

1. MariaMaria Angel
    MariaMaria Angel April 4, 2015 at 2:53 pm

RIP

2. Baj Beau
    Baj Beau April 4, 2015 at 2:58 pm

There are no words that one can really say that will comfort you. The only words that i can utter is that i hope that God grants you and your family the comfort that you seek. R.I.P Selwyn Knight.

3. Baj Beau

RIP Mr Knight

13. Jude Willis
    Jude Willis April 4, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Rest In Peace !! ..Healing Prayers to his Family and Friends

14. Angel Maloney
    Angel Maloney April 4, 2015 at 3:15 pm

This is so heartbreaking R.I.P we the ppl of b’dos need n want justice for Blues

15. Maria Leclair
    Maria Leclair April 4, 2015 at 3:20 pm

My sincere condolences to all family and friends, may he rest in peace.

16. Sherry Ann Thankful
    Sherry Ann Thankful April 4, 2015 at 3:48 pm

This is so sad I pray the family will get closure to this case, it is hard losing someone but under these circumstances is worst

17. Hazel Harrison
    Hazel Harrison April 4, 2015 at 3:50 pm

May he rest in peace and rise in glory.life WILL come full circle..none of us go unpunished for our deeds

18. Taitu Tiye
    Taitu Tiye April 4, 2015 at 3:52 pm

The whole island is saddened by this. I pray comfort and justice for the family.

19. Louisa Brewster
    Louisa Brewster April 4, 2015 at 4:00 pm

God bless, sending our sincere condolences x

20. Frank Fowler
    Frank Fowler April 4, 2015 at 4:04 pm

You mean the RBPF is so insensitive no one saw it fit to send a representative to show some type of respect?? Shameful. Rest In Peace Mr. Knight

21. Tracey Griffith
    Tracey Griffith April 4, 2015 at 4:09 pm

So sad… My condolences goes out to entire family. May his soul RIP

22. Lorraine Selman Gilkes
    Lorraine Selman Gilkes April 4, 2015 at 4:11 pm

My condolences to this family. I am in partly the same

23. Kathryn Serieux
    Kathryn Serieux April 4, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Justice for the Knight family. This article saddens me so much. A unnecessary loss of life; so much grief; and blatant disrespect from the RBPF.

24. Mhizz Joan Moore
    Mhizz Joan Moore April 4, 2015 at 4:45 pm

I want to see how long them gine tek before them charge that ,………………. For his murder

25. Nyckee McDowall
    Nyckee McDowall April 4, 2015 at 5:08 pm

this is a really sad day for Blues Family and Friends, you will be miss…. tears, may U RIP….

26. Nyckee McDowall
    Nyckee McDowall April 4, 2015 at 5:08 pm

27. Mari Buckley
    Mari Buckley April 4, 2015 at 5:24 pm

I do not know you my love but my heart goes out to you and your family. RIP

28. Liz Forde
    Liz Forde April 4, 2015 at 5:29 pm

So sad

29. Lynda Bonnett
    Lynda Bonnett April 4, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Police still on duty at the port

• Beverley Headley
      Beverley Headley April 4, 2015 at 7:09 pm

What did u expect? Its Barbados you all living-Bajans talk too much with no action-only in Barbados that so much injustice goes unpunish.

30. Vincybajan Holder
    Vincybajan Holder April 4, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Rip blues we will always remember u my man I can still remember those days hanging out @ ur house great times

31. Maiesha Selman Bradshaw
    Maiesha Selman Bradshaw April 4, 2015 at 5:54 pm

SO sad…

32. Andrew The Voice April 4, 2015 at 6:18 pm

This is shameful. RBPF is a disgraceful institution, even those police in Fergusson showed up to show respect to the family.

33. Mieshell Burke
    Mieshell Burke April 4, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Rip in peace blues justice will be serve

34. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce April 4, 2015 at 7:27 pm

So

35. Allan Headley
    Allan Headley April 4, 2015 at 7:35 pm

We must have Justice for Blues .RIP

36. Valdine Turton
    Valdine Turton April 4, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Rest in Peace Selwyn Knight, may justice be serve, two things puzzle me, (1) when the son told his mom to call the police, if she did called how did this off duty officer got there first to killed Mr.Knight, shot his son and the thief got away, I smell a rat, (2) And I heard the thief got caught after and got time already and there are some people do worse and still waiting to be sentence, is this a way to keep him from ratting/ keep mouth shut. I hope they help support his wife and family after killing him.

37. Tanya Fable
    Tanya Fable April 4, 2015 at 7:45 pm

So so sad. My condolences to the family

38. June Cadogan
    June Cadogan April 4, 2015 at 7:59 pm

I. Can’t imagine how u feel my love but It is so hard to loose a love one that. Cruel way..You have my sympathy…God needed another angel…I didnt know blues bit I know

39. June Cadogan
    June Cadogan April 4, 2015 at 8:00 pm

But I know his wife for years!!

40. Niki Godalone
    Niki Godalone April 4, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Prayers to y’all. Salvation in Christ

41. the legend April 4, 2015 at 9:13 pm

My condolences to the Knight family. it really amazes me how barbarians are quick to jump on a bandwagon without all or any FACTS in a matter. It always a sad thing when people die after all Winston Hall was one of the most notorious criminals in barbados and people were saddened by his death. So before all of you put blame where it might not belong try to get some FACTS. The only FACTS that we have is that a man died and that only four people actually know what happened: the officer, the burglar, the son and God.

• Olutoye Walrond April 5, 2015 at 10:44 am

Here are some facts, Legend:

1. Someone burgarlised a home and stole property.
      2. The home owner and his son tracked down the culprit and
      were in the process of retrieving their property.
      3. Someone appears on the scene with a gun.
      4. No questions asked, he starts shooting
      5. The only people shot were the victims of the burglary.
      6. The burglar is quickly arrested, arraigned and jailed.
      7. The shooter is still walking free.

Are those enough facts for you?

42. hl friend and Co worker April 4, 2015 at 9:20 pm

It is wrong what happened and I am sadden to hear and see that justice is not being served… but God will serve is own justice and as for my friend blues… I will miss you..I know you r looking over your family from above. ..

43. Karen F-Glasgow
    Karen F-Glasgow April 4, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Calling for justice for Selwyn knight

44. Alphonso Elijah
    Alphonso Elijah April 4, 2015 at 9:50 pm

How give the family justice and jail his murderer or hang him. A life for a life. Moses law all the way. Stop trying to justify the unjustifiable.

45. Marge Bajanz Ebony
    Marge Bajanz Ebony April 4, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Sad indeed , may he rest in peace and may the family finds justice

46. Roger Manning
    Roger Manning April 4, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Sad story, which has not ended yet. Be strong Knight family, because you will have a battle ahead.

47. Ralph Talma April 5, 2015 at 11:02 am

I am saddened for the family and pay them my deepest respects. A pity a representative of the Police did not attend the funeral. I wonder when the police officer involved will be charged and bailed. As I said before, if he is found innocent, then so be it, but at least the people would see that some action had been taken.

48. Sue Donym April 5, 2015 at 12:04 pm

I wish the best for the Knight family. I think it quite inflammatory for B’dos Today to report that no senior member of RBPF attended. How could they possibly be sure of this?
    That aside, when will the shooter be charged? Can we now focus on how he is treated and why? Not even wounding or public endangerment pending an upgrade of charges? Does his freedom have any implications for the way the investigation is handled? No restriction of movement? Has he been barred from possessing a firearm? The silence is horrific