Griffith: Teachers not being fair

A former secondary school principal is baffled by a request from the Barbados Secondary Teachers Union (BSTU) for its members to start receiving pay to correct Caribbean Examinations Council (CXC) School Based-Assessments (SBA).

Anglican priest Reverend Keith Griffith, the retired head of what was then the St James Secondary School, which subsequently was renamed the Frederick Smith Secondary, said the request was not fair, reasonable or justifiable.

Griffith said today he had difficulty understanding why the BSTU was making a case for compensation when teachers were already receiving a salary for full-time employment. His comments came at a morning ceremony where he was honoured by a decision to have the auditorium at his former school bear his name.

Reverend Keith Griffith
Reverend Keith Griffith

“My view, though I have left the system, is that that examination is integral to the curriculum and to learning. Yet I have some difficulty when a case is being made for payment, bearing in mind that the persons are already in full time employment and are being paid by the state to teach,” the former longstanding educator said.

“I am not saying they are wrong or they are right. I am saying I have a difficulty in understanding their position. Maybe I will never understand it,” Griffith said. “I will live by that. I will stand by that and, if I have to suffer for that, let me suffer for it and that is personally how I feel about it.”

Recently, BSTU president Mary-Ann Redman said the umbrella Caribbean Union of Teachers was demanding that CXC compensate teachers as correcting the SBA’s was an additional responsibility. The BSTU has served notice that teachers will not be correcting SBA’s from the end of this academic year.

Reverend Griffith reminded teachers at his former school that the values and standards which promoted education should not be compromised. He told them that their role was critical to the performance of the school.

“Any deficit on your part in respect of these [values and standards] will contribute to an immeasurable loss on the part of students and the school in general,” he warned.

29 Responses to Griffith: Teachers not being fair

1. Cynthia Blackman
    Cynthia Blackman March 25, 2015 at 9:15 am

I agree with Rev Griffith . that’s my feelings also . However can I ask….Are You are correcting work your children did under your supervision.. as a Teacher .? Or are you going OUT OF your area?? Out of your area YES but in your AREA no. As One Teacher said what he makes is not MONEY but Children to be able to make a contribution to the WORLD .

• MariaMaria Angel
      MariaMaria Angel March 25, 2015 at 4:05 pm

I make both, because I have two children to support, rent and other bills to pay and last I check none of the pious people who believe teachers should not care about money, has every given me a cent of their own to help with my survival.

• Lucia Aniela Parris
      Lucia Aniela Parris March 25, 2015 at 4:12 pm

SBAs are projects with specific criteria which children do on their own and then bring it to their teachers for guidance…they are extensive projects and require a lot of time to mark … Mind you this is in addition to the regular homework tests and exams. Now teachers are expected to enter the marks on CXCs behalf… That can’t be fair or considered part of your work load.

2. Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne
    Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne March 25, 2015 at 9:57 am

Mr. Griffith and other retired teachers like himself can offer to correct for free…we have scores of retired teachers that can take the burden off clasroom teachers….there is an idea….

3. Olutoye Walrond March 25, 2015 at 10:09 am

“Yet I have some difficulty when a case is being made for payment, bearing in mind that the persons are already in full time employment and are being paid by the state to teach.”

Yes, Mr. Griffith, you are right: they are being paid to teach, not to correct examinations set by an external agency.

The CXC is not part of the education system of Barbados. It sets its own exams and pays people to correct them.

4. Lucia Aniela Parris
    Lucia Aniela Parris March 25, 2015 at 10:56 am

teachers are not paid for overtime but have to take home work. All of you critics leave your work at the workplace. Why should teachers be any different?!

• Keisha Weekes
      Keisha Weekes March 25, 2015 at 3:15 pm

LOL @lawrence….Your comment is a bit harsh

• Lucia Aniela Parris
      Lucia Aniela Parris March 25, 2015 at 3:27 pm

What generous vacations U talking about? The ones filled with workshops or the ones where you spend time and effort looking for materials and planning for the upcoming year… Come again @lawrence… I like to hear wunna talk… Cuz as vacation start yall love to ship the children off to a camp…. And half Yall critics would never last a day teaching

• Sabrina Brathwaite
      Sabrina Brathwaite March 25, 2015 at 3:45 pm

When it comes to Teachers respect is due. I was thinking of doing that as a career, but not anymore. Its the hardest job on earth. So those who can tolerate it respect!!!!

• MariaMaria Angel
      MariaMaria Angel March 25, 2015 at 6:16 pm

@ Lawrence Griffith.., why don’t you and the other parents come and clean the schools. It is your children who make the mess.lol

5. Frederick Walcott
    Frederick Walcott March 25, 2015 at 11:30 am

Are teachers really compelled work overtime? What about best use of the paid downtime enjoyed during school hours?

• Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne
      Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne March 25, 2015 at 11:59 am

What downtime do you think teachers get during school Frederick???do tell…

• Frederick Walcott
      Frederick Walcott March 25, 2015 at 12:27 pm

I asked the question, Marsha Peppa Fly. The story or truth of the matter is not for me to tell.

• Lucia Aniela Parris
      Lucia Aniela Parris March 25, 2015 at 12:32 pm

There is no downtime, no settle in time …not when dealing with children of varying abilities… Eating lunch is reduced to a rushed experience which is still interrupted by whatever may arise… If you don’t work at home or overtime your children will be left at the school unattended… Worksheets and experiments cannot be prepped for etc.

• Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne
      Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne March 25, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Frederick this is my issue with the arguments on these issues….everybody becomes an expert and many, like you admit, have no idea how and what teachers do….but I’m glad we make it look so easy…

• Frederick Walcott
      Frederick Walcott March 25, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Noted with thanks, Lucia. Is that your experience or a true representation of teacher experience 100% across the board?

• Frederick Walcott
      Frederick Walcott March 25, 2015 at 12:56 pm

I am not aware of admitting to anything, Marsha Peppa Fly, but you may have hit the nail on the head when you claim that people have no idea. That will always happen when questions are asked to fertilise dialogue or expose any inadequacies and all that is ever forthcoming are vague aggressive / defensive responses. Tell the story, tell the truths.

• Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne
      Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne March 25, 2015 at 1:05 pm

I do not mind when people who feed children, wipe their noses and run classrooms off personal funds get frustrated with the constant public cussings…..it wears after a while…are there a few bad teachers in classrooms absolutely….are there still the majority of teachers who care and go above and beyond?? ABSOLUTELY….stop waiting for people to tell the story…i you intend to be a part of the debate educate yourself and then others through your efforts.

• Frederick Walcott
      Frederick Walcott March 25, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Marsha Peppa Fly, it’s not for the want of me hoping and trying but I am none the wiser and honestly have a challenge with the logic in the advice you offered. If you are a teacher, good luck with your expectations.

• Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne
      Marsha Peppa Fly Hinds-Layne March 25, 2015 at 1:58 pm

and there is why it is hard to tell the story…because some people simply do not want to hear it told….I wish you good day.

• Frederick Walcott
      Frederick Walcott March 25, 2015 at 2:34 pm

• Frederick Walcott
      Frederick Walcott March 25, 2015 at 2:37 pm

NO.. our minds are confused with your confusion.

• MariaMaria Angel
      MariaMaria Angel March 25, 2015 at 4:18 pm

I don’t get any down time during school hours
      Hell, I don’t even get a lunch hour. According to the ministry, I have to supervise them while they are eating. During which time, I can’t eat because I busy teaching children table manners that are obviously not taught at home. Then when I finally get to send them out to play and sit down to eat muh cold food, I am bombarded with children complaining about who hit them, curse them, injured, vomit etc on the playing field. So then I have to leave muh cold food uneaten and deal with the problem, and this happens regularly 4/5 times a week. Hell, I can’t even go to the bathroom. The children does come looking for yuh!

• MariaMaria Angel
      MariaMaria Angel March 25, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Don’t believe me? Go spend the day at a Primary School. Walk with extra strength Tylenol.

6. MariaMaria Angel
    MariaMaria Angel March 25, 2015 at 4:25 pm

A man on here reasons that teachers get “down time” at school. I really would like to know where Bajans get all of these ASSumptions about teachers from.

7. Trina Lowe
    Trina Lowe March 25, 2015 at 5:23 pm

There goes my former principle. 🙂 Truly happy to see you here. It’s great to know you are alive and well.There is NO OTHER like him. Thanking you for your distinguished leadership. For you have shaped a vision of academic success for all students, created a climate hospitable to education and cultivated leadership in others. >>Had to mention.k.l, RN.

8. karen March 26, 2015 at 8:05 pm

When my children where at primary school I would go to school with them. One day with the oldest one withthe youngest. That way I was able to know what was going on with my children and help the teachers. I did this because when I was going to secondary school ,they was a teacher who would say we don’t have to learn she only got she dogs to worry about. I love teachers anyway because of this experience. I think they need teacher assistance. When you don’t get time to eat or go to the bathroom you get sick. I got diabetes from this along with other factors. As long as teachers are doing what they are supposed to I have got there back. If they are not I agree with Mr Griffith.