Mum of eight cries out

Her hungry little ones must sleep on sponge

A St Michael mother is appealing to the public for help with feeding, clothing and providing a better shelter for her eight children. Harriett Hackett, 44, is struggling even to send them to school.

And mum and children are forced to live in a house at Mayers Road, My Lord’s Hill, St Michael, that is in dire need of repairs, leaving them exposed to the elements –– and rodents. In a home that is lacking proper furniture, some of the children must sleep on sponge laid out on the floor of a clustered bedroom.

Harriett Hackett, a mother of eight, struggles each day to support her children.

The bathroom and toilet, situated outdoors, are also in horrible condition.

The pit toilet that the Hackett family uses.
The pit toilet that the Hackett family uses.

Hackett said sometimes her light and water were turned off because she was unable to pay the utility bills.

When a Barbados TODAY team visited the home yesterday afternoon, the sight of the house was heart-rending. Hackett’s cry that she was facing hardships and needed help was evident.

Harriett Hackett in the kitchen, before  the stove she sometimes cooks meals on.
Harriett Hackett in the kitchen, before the stove she sometimes cooks meals on.
This area of the house is used as living room and bedroom.
This area of the house is used as living room and bedroom.

The mother, whose eldest child is 20 years old and youngest, five, said she loved her offspring, and that she did the very best she could to support them, with the limited assistance she got from the Welfare Department, from her own mother, and others who would sometimes lend a hand.

The unemployed mum said that though she was relentlessly trying to find a job, she had not worked “in years”. Hackett said she would gratefully accept a job offer, because she “can work”.

But the reality is Hackett’s appeal needs to be answered. And the mother is not unmindful that there are others like her “out there” living in similar conditions with the very same challenges.

“I try to do what I can do for my children. I do the best that I could; send them to school to learn and get a good education and make something out of themselves.

“But sometimes it does be hard for me to even give them something to eat. Sunday, I didn’t have anything;
and I had to send to my mother for things.

“Look, them coming home from school now and I have to see what is there to give them,” Hackett said as she watched four of her wards –– two girls and two boys –– run in.

She said beds, food items and repairs to the house were among her most immediate needs.

Sponge used to make a bed.
Sponge used to make a bed.
The kitchen.
The kitchen area.

“Most of the times when [the chidren] go to school, the teachers tell them that they smell stink. Sometimes they come home and tell me, and say that they don’t want to go back to school at all . . . . I just need some help,” Hackett pleaded.

The mother claimed that she had approached the former Member of Parliament for her  area on her plight, but she had never got a response.

anestahenry@barbadostoday.bb

88 Responses to Mum of eight cries out

1. Elke Hassell
    Elke Hassell March 18, 2015 at 11:51 am

Eight Children! You Must Know your circumstances before you decide to have 8 children, sad as this story is but people need to think sometimes.

• Niccolo Costa
      Niccolo Costa March 18, 2015 at 12:16 pm

‘__’

• Prince Tazz
      Prince Tazz March 18, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Like seriously???

• Hyacinth Benskin Saroop
      Hyacinth Benskin Saroop March 18, 2015 at 1:50 pm

she look preg again.. is alright to feel sweet but the man den go long and left woman n where is the father

• Hyacinth Benskin Saroop
      Hyacinth Benskin Saroop March 18, 2015 at 1:50 pm

• Sterlin Blackman
      Sterlin Blackman March 18, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Wear her shoes before you criticize You self righteous lot

• Mark Wrd
      Mark Wrd March 18, 2015 at 4:07 pm

You’re an ass @ Elke Hassell .She is asking for help not criticism .

• Julie Leenders
      Julie Leenders March 18, 2015 at 4:13 pm

I agree 100% feel sorry for the kids , they didn’t ask to be born , but not for her one bit , think she wants to look up what the word contraception means

• Elke Hassell
      Elke Hassell March 18, 2015 at 7:14 pm

People ain’t criticizing and are not being self righteous here, most of us want a load of kids ourselves (I did) but could not afford to have more than 2 or 3 financially or otherwise. You want to be able to allow your kids a good upbringing and future, without having to suffer the consequences of adults irresponsible actions. While you are working your back side off to provide for your children, making sacrifices in your live to devote everything to them (gladly), you as a woman take responsible measures to keep it that way (contraceptives are free by the way), it is only natural that you have a problem understanding why some women feel it o.k. to birth numerous amounts of kids knowing full well that their situation cannot provide from them adequately. Everybody has a choice in live but one has to live with the choices one makes without having to rely on those that restricted theirs because of commonsense.

• StacieF March 18, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Everyone knows that she should’ve known better and be a little more responsible, but the issue at present is that she needs help… not your criticism… We all “know better” but still mess up sometimes and even have weaknesses which vary and range from gambling to unprotected sex. To add to the matter we really don’t know this lady and what circumstances lead her to this position… could have been abuse. Every thing isn’t always so cut and dry… give people a break.

2. Mhizz Joan Moore
    Mhizz Joan Moore March 18, 2015 at 12:02 pm

when will women stop havin unprotected sex wid random men that say i love u just to get a lil crutch from them n then the does move on left the to deal wid it hmmm

• Mhizz Joan Moore
      Mhizz Joan Moore March 18, 2015 at 12:14 pm

hmmm well he want neuterin an she tubes want cuttin, dont mind it a lil too late, but rather late than never :p

• Bonnie Belle
      Bonnie Belle March 18, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Let’s stop assuming that her kids are for different men. Let’s assume that she was married and had right kids for her husband who has since died. Let’s assume said husband was the breadwinner and now he has passed she is left to raise eight children on her own without any assistance or savings or job to fall back on.

• Mhizz Joan Moore
      Mhizz Joan Moore March 18, 2015 at 4:08 pm

lets assume not to assume :p

• Honey Adamz
      Honey Adamz March 18, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Jus becuz u wud do it int mean she did. Jus stupid

• Mhizz Joan Moore
      Mhizz Joan Moore March 18, 2015 at 6:37 pm

this heifer will be up next askin for help with her 12 kids all with different daddies :p

3. Magz Malinda Mapp
    Magz Malinda Mapp March 18, 2015 at 12:03 pm

I’m sorry for the kids in this situation not the mother. Where are the father/fathers of these kIds? Why keep bringing kids in the world and can’t provide for them? It’s so quick to cry help to the public , y u didn’t use contraceptive. Now u using the kids to cry for help. You should go look for the father/fathers. I’m not sorry for this lady at all, I’m sorry for the innocent kids. Because of her ignorance they are suffering smh

• Daphne Thomas
      Daphne Thomas March 18, 2015 at 3:02 pm

I agree with you, don’t feel sorry for her at all, but the kids did not ask for this, they had no say in the matter. I hate to see children suffering due to the mistakes of their parents.

• Magz Malinda Mapp
      Magz Malinda Mapp March 18, 2015 at 3:13 pm

My point. All my sympathy goes out to the kids. From what I understand she look pregnant again smh.

• Honey Adamz
      Honey Adamz March 18, 2015 at 5:13 pm

U stupid.

• Honey Adamz
      Honey Adamz March 18, 2015 at 5:14 pm

An d woman int pregnant fool. Jus stomach big

• Magz Malinda Mapp
      Magz Malinda Mapp March 18, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Honey Adamz is stupid I stupid why I know it wouldn’t take me getting pregnant eight times and know I can’t take care of them to know I should get my act together. Stupid is her for putting her kids n herself in this situation. So let my stupid self help the kids cus that’s how stupid I am 😉

• Magz Malinda Mapp
      Magz Malinda Mapp March 18, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Neka we are all stupid, she’s the smart one lol. I won’t stoop to ppl below me level…. I’m still gonna help the kids and I’m still gonna stick to my opinions.

4. Lynda Bonnett
    Lynda Bonnett March 18, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Really?????did she lie down in the sun and get pregnant over and over and over?????? 8kids?.I keep saying women need to empower themselves and be independent as things are getting hard on all of us.old as that house is;it could have been kept cleaner.all the kids could hold chores and keep their house cleaner…chaaaa

• Magz Malinda Mapp
      Magz Malinda Mapp March 18, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Seems like everyone dumb or stupid to you Honey Adams but everyone could see who’s actually Dumb and stupid. Because people opinion don’t fit you, you want to lash out at everyone smh. My mother have eight kids. The different fathers and she got up off her ass n work a farm, she work supermarket, she took care of elderly etc. She made sacrifices to make sure she took care of her responsibility cus we didn’t ask to come in this world. It’s quick to cry help but what is she doing other than ask for help to make the situation better. You’re a blatant fool and ur IQ is way below average.

5. Nicole Brathwaite
    Nicole Brathwaite March 18, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Weather she should no better or not when someone is asking for help you don’t nock them further down you help tht Jesus asking for help and you refusing life knocks us all down at some point finger pointing is not the solution we waste food and clothing every day just help the lady and her kids please we don’t need the bad talk

• Savannah GodsGift Angel
      Savannah GodsGift Angel March 18, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Sometimes it’s easier to point fingers when you are NOT in the situation of the person complaining, sad that we as mothers/parents have to watch another mother suffer with her children, but they won’t be children for long, they gonna grow up and am really praying that these children make something good of themselves and realize the struggles their mother endured to get them where they at……. I WOULD GLADLY DONATE to this family, and start by giving groceries……. it is not ok, but it is the reality……. we never know where we will end up in life, all seems well now

• mick March 18, 2015 at 7:06 pm

I agreed savannah

• compassionate one March 19, 2015 at 9:10 am

Thank you very much Savannah Gods Gift Angle for your intelligent comment ,there so much ugly people here with ugly comments,what is the gain in beating her into the ground women who abort they kids instead of bringing them into this world always think there are smarter because the world only see them with 1 or 2 kids she has 8 kids there are a blessing no matter what circumstances they came into this world,i pray she get the help she need..

• Nicole Brathwaite
      Nicole Brathwaite March 18, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Well said savanna it could me you or someone we no and we would want help to same them

• Greitcha Smith
      Greitcha Smith March 18, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Point taken,Misses Savannah GodsGift Angel and Nicole Brathwaite. Please tell us what you plan to do to help this lady so that we can follow your example.

• Princess LaBorde
      Princess LaBorde March 18, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Very well said..

• Nicole Brathwaite
      Nicole Brathwaite March 18, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Tht the problem don’t worry wht others are doing go and do on your own free will tht the problem great chance smith

• Sabrina Wilkinson
      Sabrina Wilkinson March 18, 2015 at 3:58 pm

amen

• Honey Adamz
      Honey Adamz March 18, 2015 at 5:13 pm

I hate ignorant ppl. Patrick Marshall u don’t know what dat woman been thru in life. Ppl said d same to my mother. She has 5 from 5 men n she had it ruff too ppl need to stop seeing negative in ppl thr are women who don’t know nothing but struggle .. Put urself in her shoes. I know she probably feel bad she had to ask fr help especially from ppl dat she int kno

• Sandell Edwards
      Sandell Edwards March 18, 2015 at 9:24 pm

Well said Honey Adamz either help de lady or shut up and let who can do what little they can. People are so insensitive . Either give graciously or shut up.

6. Donnah March 18, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Unfortunately this family needs more than monetary assistance and “things”. Sometimes we feel good “giving” without regard to the root problem. These children have been in this situation for a while. Their most immediate need is a sanitary place to live and food to eat. Only then can they raise their heads above the situation and make a better life for themselves.

7. Heather Cole
    Heather Cole March 18, 2015 at 12:29 pm

The bottom line here is that regardless of the circumstances the children and their mother need help. I am ashamed of that teacher. She or he has knowledge of the suitation and did not help. You are an advocate for any child whilst they sit in your classroom. I would have gone beyond the call of duty instead of turning up my nose.

8. Sandra Moore-Brewster
    Sandra Moore-Brewster March 18, 2015 at 12:33 pm

I would love to donate some items to Ms. Hackett. I live in New york though, Could someone please give more information about how i can contact her or have thse items sent to her. We live in a world where we would rather judge than help. Children do not ask to be here neither do they have control of their situation. This woman obviously needs help … please lets not judge her.

• Monique Tull
      Monique Tull March 18, 2015 at 12:38 pm

contact the newspaper

• GoodGirl GoneBad
      GoodGirl GoneBad March 18, 2015 at 2:21 pm

I also live in NYC and would like to donate some items.

• Arlita Strose
      Arlita Strose March 18, 2015 at 3:05 pm

The Nation go online

• GoodGirl GoneBad
      GoodGirl GoneBad March 18, 2015 at 3:18 pm

I contacted the person who wrote this article, anesta henry.

• Susan Banfield
      Susan Banfield March 18, 2015 at 4:36 pm

I do as well
      I also have clothing that wud possibly fit her younger ones
      My only issue is getting them home

• Susan Banfield
      Susan Banfield March 18, 2015 at 4:36 pm

I do as well
      I also have clothing that wud possibly fit her younger ones
      My only issue is getting them home

• GoodGirl GoneBad
      GoodGirl GoneBad March 18, 2015 at 5:00 pm

you would have to send a package or small barrel. I have clothing as well but will probably wait until i visit during crop over.

9. Ashanda Coward
    Ashanda Coward March 18, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Most of some of you guys are cruel and harsh, I felt so bad reading this. Anyone can have hardship, having the 8 children is not the big issue here helping out is. You can’t undo the children gosh man have a heart. Look at someone not from here offered to help you people are are cruel.

10. Nicole Brathwaite
    Nicole Brathwaite March 18, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Bajans can find money to help others but when they own ask for help all they get is nasty talk charity begins at home were the government why haven’t they took the lead and put them in a house wht kid of teach do bim have telling kids they smell bad but they want respect and more money please get this right bim the world is watching

• Melissa S Rollins
      Melissa S Rollins March 18, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Its about that!! Some people are being a bit too rude with their comments but you cannot tell people how to spend their money its theirs! True we need to help one another near or far! But women need to wake up!( It takes two tango but its us that are left with baby!!) When you decide to have a child you decide to be responsible for said child!! Now, look nobody is perfect but have 8 children in this day & age without a very good income & savings ( you could have a good income & lose your job!!) is very irresponsible! If you have two its easier for someone to help but 8 is alot! But this family does need help, i hope this mum is going to teach her children to do better
      The teacher obviously come from a cow! Because, they should kindly questioned the child & find out was going on!And help!@ Teaching is not just about Maths & English its about teaching them life! That teacher should be suspended, by doing that they could have seriously dented a child that is through a lot self esteem!!

11. Magz Malinda Mapp
    Magz Malinda Mapp March 18, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Wait no one is saying that it’s ok to see the kids suffering Ashanda.Anyone could meet hardship yes but it’s clear this woman is ignorant beyond measures. 8 kids smfh. When she kept spreading her legs to dead beat men she wasn’t calling for help. Now she created this problem and we the people who giving our two cents on the matter are “cruel”. No she’s cruel for what she did to her kids. No one is saying they won’t help but she need to help herself also.

12. Leah Husbands
    Leah Husbands March 18, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Smh, a lot of us if we look back, come from very large families, how many of our grand parents had 8-20 children, forget how many children she has. She is human, things have happened that we are not privy to. We need to realise she needs help and education going forward!

• Danielle Reid-Melillo
      Danielle Reid-Melillo March 18, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Back in the day the men used to stick around and do their job even if they were poor! Different times now can’t compare. Some of these women need to wait until they get married to get children and if they can’t afford them abstain or use protection and there’s always the morning after pill if you screw that up!

• Leah Husbands
      Leah Husbands March 18, 2015 at 1:18 pm

That may have happened in your case but in lots of those old time days women were married and the men still left them with lots of children. Marriage does not mean a man will stick around. They walk away whether or not they are married. A lot of ppl never knew their fathers cause they didn’t stay. That statement is not fair.

• Richelle Bourne
      Richelle Bourne March 18, 2015 at 1:41 pm

I agree Leah Husbands but come on you learn from others mistakes and if that isn’t good enough you learn from your own. If you can hardly feed 1 or 2 children why would you get 6 or 7 more? Common sense would say the bread can no longer divide in 6 and last 2 days but it has to go further and last shorter. It would make you ask how would you eat and feed these kids as well.

• Alison Branch
      Alison Branch March 18, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Not to mention that a generation or two ago large families were fed off the land and the animals they reared. They certainly couldn’t wait on handouts!

• Sabrina Wilkinson
      Sabrina Wilkinson March 18, 2015 at 3:48 pm

GOD BLESS HER WITH THOSE 8 KIDS FOR A REASON STOP BRINGING HER DOWN SHE ASK FOR HELP NOT FOR YOU GUYS TO JUDGE HER

• Sabrina Wilkinson
      Sabrina Wilkinson March 18, 2015 at 3:48 pm

• Leah Husbands
      Leah Husbands March 18, 2015 at 5:02 pm

I am by no means excusing anyone, however do we know her circumstances? We don’t, how do we know she didn’t have all those children from one man and he went along and left her,how do we know her mate didn’t die leaving her in this state? how do we know how she grew up, being poor, she got one but as time went on she was able to support the others, but with the bleak out look of bim she just isn’t able right now. I mean, it’s not like she is in the paper every year, maybe she was working and lost her job, maybe her first child was working and lost their job. If ppl that are educated lost their jobs in this climate why ppl with not as much education can’t lose theirs. All in all we don’t know the circumstances. Whatever the circumstances are she has come out asking knowing that people in bim will ostracise her, ridicule her and all that to at least get help. She also has said that she would like a job which means she is not begging for money she wants a means of sustaining herself and her family. Have a heart ppl, stop judging!

• Honey Adamz
      Honey Adamz March 18, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Thank u Leah.

13. Margaret Lorde
    Margaret Lorde March 18, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Now I’m confused. If she hasn’t worked in years why does she have a five year old.? Condoms are cheaper than raising a child. This situation didn’t just happen overnight and a really loving parent would not continue to have more offspring seeing their hardships. In reality I’m sure she has never been able to adequately provide for her family given what I see here.

Where are the children’s father or fathers? Baby making isn’t a one person exercise so at some point there must be some kind of effort made on their parts as well. The victims here are the children who’s parents have failed them miserably. The father or fathers need to be located and their participation in the relief effort enlisted.

At what point I wonder when an individual like this says this has to stop…certainly eight children on in such conditions isn’t an intended choice. Why has the teacher rather than highlight the children’s odor not contact authorities to intervene on their behalf? Isn’t a teacher supposed to be a concerned individual.

Sadly, there are other situations not dissimilar to hers across this country, and truth be told giving her one off help won’t resolve the real issues either. She needs long term comprehensive assistance and because there are so many others in need, I don’t know that she will be any better off six months down the road even if she gets some help now.

• Michelle Carter
      Michelle Carter March 18, 2015 at 1:24 pm

I so agree with you it will not change unless counseling and self development programs along with others are implemented to break this vicious cycle for her and the children.she needs more than material help.

• Magz Malinda Mapp
      Magz Malinda Mapp March 18, 2015 at 2:17 pm

My point exactly. The problem need to be fixed. Helping get wit solve might help prolong the problem to. She need to make a stand n find these fathers and take measures for them to help.

14. Dione Norris
    Dione Norris March 18, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Hmmm. I’m 29, educated, unemployed, no children, ‘fallen on hard times’, but dismissed by welfare because they said I’m ‘capable of work’. Had i been in the same situation with 6 kids i would be SET FOR LIFE! Government house, welfare assistance, the works. What does this say? It’s better to foop bout and breed for a million men and beg d guvment to help muh, than to go about life aspiring to be independent while making intelligent decisions.

• Melissa S Rollins
      Melissa S Rollins March 18, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Dionne, i can totally understand how frustrating your situation is!!I was in the same boat in the UK! Worked hard, lost my job not by any means my fault! Went to welfare for help none!! But i been breeding like a sow i would have been set!! Its actually a bit soul destroying!! But keep your chin up & keep being smart! Times are hard but keep looking & it will get better!! Bless!!Stay positive!!

• Dione Norris
      Dione Norris March 18, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Thank you sugar. I will continue to fight the temptation 🙂

• Honey Adamz
      Honey Adamz March 18, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Shut up. Who feels it knows it. My mom was in her shoes n if not fr her I wudnt b WHR I am today. Educated. Own house n car. Engaged. An she gt help from ppl who didn’t blast her with negativity. She had 5 so what. Ya’ll CNT judge WHR u never been.

• Dione Norris
      Dione Norris March 18, 2015 at 5:56 pm

You seem personally offended by whoever does not show the compassion you would like. Kudos for you being able to rise above your situation. You are one of the lucky ones. Now I will ask a rhetorical question, HOW MANY TIMES do you have to ‘feel it to know it’ We are all fully aware children have a way of surprising us, but at some point a sane thinking person says ‘Enough is Enough’ Don’t get mad with the people who are saying that, 8 children at 44 who aren’t financially supported, could have been avoided!

• Melissa S Rollins
      Melissa S Rollins March 18, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Firstly, this a public forum & once she went to the papers its public so here we are voicing our opinions! This is not the first lady tofind herself in this situation! As you said Honey how feels it knows, but we know that if you put you hand in a fire it will burn, do we ladies have to continue to do this to know? We really need think is this right for us or our children!!
      In this day it is irresponsible unless you are a very good income to have 8 children! You cant just keep popping out babies & then cry help!! I love kids but i dont have any because i knew was not in situation for them! Back then when i was struggling i knew that i could eat ramen noodles everyday but that is not best for a child! Ok, things do happen but you cant keep doing the same thing! Even after child 5 & things were not bad she could have maybe thought to the future! Kids are getting bigger what if they want to do better, university or what of they are sick, let me stop here & to help my five.
      I am not saying i would not help this lady because for my belly to be full & children starving does not sit well with me ! But really i hope young ladies coming up read this story & take heed! Think of your children, they are your responsibility not anybody else!! Children do not need to latest clothes or i pads to grow up happy, healthy & do well. But, they need love, discipline, basic healthy food, clean clothes & education! If you cannot do that you should control the baby shop!

15. Sharon Antionette Broomes
    Sharon Antionette Broomes March 18, 2015 at 2:06 pm

I hate to hear or read when people asking fuh help and bajans always starting to cried the person down. Remember the tables can turn anytime.

• Jason Belle
      Jason Belle March 18, 2015 at 5:56 pm

God forbid any of these folks on here ever need assistance in anything, ever. So selfish and snarky.

16. jr smith March 18, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Sad but this is her fault, and she looks pregnant again, she is not serious,about her life style, find the fathers , you cannot keep imposing this kind of situation on others, this woman is very irresponsible,

17. jr smith March 18, 2015 at 3:26 pm

I feel very for the kids, but no sympathy for her. I may consider contributing something , but is she responsible enough.

18. Sherryll-Ann March 18, 2015 at 4:06 pm

I know it takes a village to raise a child but where is the father of these children? He also needs to take responsibility for the children he brought into this world. After all he planted the seed, the mother is not the only one. I say help her but also find thefather so he is given the opportunity to be in his children’s lives

19. Terrilyn March 18, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Why some of y’all dragging this woman futher down is beyond me, i guess all of wunna windows clean, this behaviour is exactly why more ppl like her don’t come forward, whose to say that things weren’t better with her before now? I guess all u negative ppl have never had to fall r ask for assistance to get back up. Donate something other than negativity!

20. Cece March 18, 2015 at 4:44 pm

we as women need to educate and empower ourselves. we need to learn how to fish, in doing so we can help ourselves. handouts only last so long. a proper education can levitate poverty. look at our parents who grew up very poor, without the basic needs and they have made something for themselves. what type of job can support a mother and eight children ranging from young adults to five years of agel.

21. Jason Belle
    Jason Belle March 18, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Thanks BT would be wonderful to have a follow-up piece even if it’s in the fb page for more details.

22. Alex Alleyne March 18, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Sad situation, but she breed again ? .

23. Patricia Bowen March 18, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Having so many children is not a crime but are blessings. The way they were brought into the world were not ideal and God saw that. He however in love and wisdom formed each one of them specially with their own gifts and talents. They have a purpose in this world and by God’s standard they are special. Don’t dare judge the mother who may be directing her prayers to heaven. Unlike some of us this mother may have been a product of deep seated or generational issues that would require a touch from God.
    You may be surprised to discover that God is daily looking for watchmen on the wall, who are willing to pray and fast for this family so their burdens will be lifted.
    Which one will you be? The Priest and Livite who looked the other way and walked past or the Good Samaritan who offered to help.
    I will be helping.
    Pat

24. Patricia Bowen March 18, 2015 at 9:32 pm

With heartfelt prayers going to God for this family it makes a life changing difference. I will pray a simple prayer as a start and believe God to do the rest. Here goes:

Dear Heavenly Father, you are the greatest, most merciful, loving and kind God. Thanks for loving us despite our imperfections. Forgive us for our many mistakes in casting stones at what confronts us in the physical which is often hidden from us in the spiritual. Father cover this young lady and her children under the blood of your son Jesus. Protect them from the snares of the enemy. Break the cords of bondage over them and cause your light to shine upon them. Cause the mother to arise and walk through the Jordan and experience the blessings that is available to her and her family. The blessings which comes through our inheritance promised by you dear God and now through the death of Jesus is now available to all who trust Him.

25. first lady March 18, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Now just in cased I missed it y was the reason she ain’t work in years! This is a sad situation but when would our women learn in the long run the only person who gets hurt is these innocence children! I honestly think if she was working all those years she wouldn’t have had so many children. I truly hope she and the kids get the help they needs

26. Aldo March 18, 2015 at 9:51 pm

We’re is the father of these kids child support court still open

27. Krystal McCarthy March 19, 2015 at 10:25 am

I hope that some of y’all that commenting so much shore don’t ever need help

28. Ranee March 19, 2015 at 11:31 am

I know the situation isn’t the best but as a woman and mother my heart hurts thinking of it, this lady needs help for her and her children and yes some family planning, but how about someone offer her a job, the children are in need they are innocent in all of this and for teachers to say those things smh imagine 8 broken children becoming 8 broken adults…… don’t kick a man when he is down even if you think he deserves it …..Dear God i pray that this lady gets deliverance from her situation, I pray for her and all the other women out there in this situation I pray that the children not become victims of their situation nor this cruel society. Amen Please help if you can we as people are tooo selfish sometimes.

29. Angela March 19, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Definitely this lady should be helped. At this point the clock cannot be turned back. So she has 8 children- many people had that many and endured hardship but we lived in different timess, people would help each other. I knew of a family of 9 chidren, husband left and did not provide support – god mother, neigbours helped and my aunt hired the mother to do her laundry so that she could have some money. There is a possibility that the lady could have self esteem issues, could be mentally delayed or suffering from depression. We need to show more empathy for our fellow man, as we are our brothers’ keepers. I have 3 children from the same man, got divorced but by the grace of God and being taught the lesson of independence at a young age was my saving grace. I hope that she will get some counselling along with any financial help.

30. David Eversley March 19, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Everyone here is absolutely “correct” in their opinions…but how do we move forward. We have assumed too many things, such as her personal state of mind to cope with her own struggles & make good decisions (just saying).

The “Good Samaritan” offered assistance to the Jew, yet they were not even on speaking terms culturally. However, he did so without wondering whether it was the man’s fault that he was in that condition. We could point fingers forever at issues. Let’s just help as though we were in her situation.

If someone purposefully jumps in a well, do we leave them there? If someone jumps off a building and still manages to stay alive, should we not offer assistance? I believe we should focus on helping the lady and her kids period…then perhaps offer some follow-up counsel (as an intangible
    donation as well?).

We have all made mistakes at different points in our lives, albeit in varying areas. How dare we jump on someone’s weakness or fault when we too have messed up in other areas ourselves? I guess in this context, this woman has made her ‘issue’ public. therefore, we all exercise our right to comment negatively or positively; sounds familiar?

I pray that we the people of Barbados arise and assist such persons so that from the giving to the receiving not necessarily be a public matter, but from knowledge of the situation and from a heart of compassion.

Well done Mr. Dasilva!

31. samo March 20, 2015 at 2:40 am

Yeah we all know eight children is nufff!! However I still feel bad for those children. Going to school hungry n then to be told u smell stink hmmmmmm. As a teacher y not give them some cream r perfume and make them feel special. Everybody cant b rich r fortunate enough to provide all needs but good gosh dont criticize her efforts to make better for her children. I wish her the best of luck and I hope n pray better comes for those young children.

32. buffbay March 20, 2015 at 9:04 am

ppl we all is one let us join hands and help a sister times hard it is not getting easy $10 can make we a fool something we sent money on stupid thing why not give it to some one the needs help one of these kids go to school with my son and I give him something this morning to take to school to help