Residents say Barrow’s childhood home an eyesore

It’s that time of year when Barbadians remember the Father of Independence as they celebrate Errol Barrow Day.

It’s also the time when complaints resurface about the dilapidated state of the house in The Garden, St Lucy where Barrow was born.

DSC_0281This year was no different and nearby residents again complained to Barbados TODAY about the house being overrun by bush, being home to chickens and other animals.

Rendel Maxwell, 66, who has lived in the area for over 30 years, said the house was in that state for a long time, but got much worse after tropical storm Tomas in 2010.

“The bush took over a long time ago, I think they should push it down because they are not going to fix it,” he said.

However, some other elderly residents believe Government should restore the house and market it as a tourist attraction.

DSC_0285Brenda Gittens, Calvin Goodridge and Durant Hinds all agreed that the house was in desperate need of attention and should not be left to just rot.

The house was recognized in 1989 as a historic landmark and a plaque was erected on the structure by Sir Lloyd Erskine Sandiford, the Prime Minister at the time.

25 Responses to Residents say Barrow’s childhood home an eyesore

1. Elke Hassell
    Elke Hassell January 21, 2015 at 3:48 pm

But they got Sir Grantley Adams HOME Nice and SHINE SMFH

2. Sharon Antionette Broomes
    Sharon Antionette Broomes January 21, 2015 at 3:52 pm

His people n power. Let them see it.

3. Princess Jan
    Princess Jan January 21, 2015 at 4:00 pm

One word…. demolish

4. Antonio A Antonio
    Antonio A Antonio January 21, 2015 at 4:01 pm

I WANT MY INCOME TAX FROM LAST YEAR

5. Antonio Phillips-Griffith Bsc
    Antonio Phillips-Griffith Bsc January 21, 2015 at 4:02 pm

come on we should fix this place it has significant value…..its the birth place of the first prime minister and father of Independence

6. Cherylann Bourne-Hayes
    Cherylann Bourne-Hayes January 21, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Fix it up make it a historical place have significant photos all about the home. Than again you would have to guard it from thieves.

7. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce January 21, 2015 at 4:54 pm

A good little communty project. The building can be refurbished by experience volunteer skilled workers including training for young people. The materials should be donated by the businesses in Bim. The money spent by the government flying around to no way product conferences and luncheons at the Hilton could of been used to refurbish the building. HeKnows make an effort and get the project started and completed in time for Bim’s 50th Independence.

8. Veronica Straker
    Veronica Straker January 21, 2015 at 5:14 pm

I’m sure Mr. Errol Barrow family have more than enough wealth that they themselves can repair this house s it doesn’t become a financial burden to the people of Barbados. At the end of the day it belongs to his family and descendants .

9. Steve L Murray
    Steve L Murray January 21, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Wow

10. Radcliffe Loxc Broomes
    Radcliffe Loxc Broomes January 21, 2015 at 5:44 pm

SHAMEFUL

11. Gloria Mendes
    Gloria Mendes January 21, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Is this the way to honor the memory of our father of independence ?

12. ch January 21, 2015 at 6:50 pm

100% correct @ Veronica.
    The derelict building is a health hazard too and, as such, should be demolished.

13. Cynthia Blackman
    Cynthia Blackman January 21, 2015 at 6:56 pm

I went to visit last weekend and I was totally amazed when I saw it .. I posted my comments on Monday’s paper after mention was made of him at The Church Service..Really sad situation..

14. Cynthia Blackman
    Cynthia Blackman January 21, 2015 at 6:59 pm

The sentiments expressed in this article are more or less exactly what I posted on Monday’s paper

15. John Fayne-Cleaver
    John Fayne-Cleaver January 21, 2015 at 7:10 pm

& this is the Barbados National Trust’s headquarters!

Interesting!

16. Keisha Weekes
    Keisha Weekes January 21, 2015 at 8:19 pm

I see you people just comment without facts…last time I heard they were family troubles/ issues with the property… The government can’t just take up someone’s house or property without the family’s permission…

17. Keisha Weekes
    Keisha Weekes January 21, 2015 at 8:19 pm

18. Anderson M. Pilgrim
    Anderson M. Pilgrim January 21, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Question is who currently owns the property. It should be made into a museum but if it is private property the government has no control.

19. Kaya Fayida
    Kaya Fayida January 21, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Gv it to me I’ll mk it a home

20. Janette Reifer
    Janette Reifer January 21, 2015 at 8:36 pm

I only hope that the taxpayers money is not going to be spend on this house. Enough money has been wasted on things that is not the taxpayers concern already. Let The Barrows deal with their own business. What government can do is to hold a meeting at this house and summons up Mr. Barrow to ask his advise on how to get the country out of the financial curriculum. .

21. Elaine Crichlow
    Elaine Crichlow January 21, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Sad

22. Olutoye Walrond January 21, 2015 at 11:06 pm

I fully understand the recognising the contribution of someone for the contribution they’ve made, but I’m struggling with this apparently widespread notion that where they lived should also be recognised.

23. Olutoye Walrond
    Olutoye Walrond January 21, 2015 at 11:10 pm

I fully understand recognising someone for the contribution they’ve made, but I’m struggling with this apparently widespread notion that where they lived should also be recognised.

24. jr smith January 22, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Our father of the nation, some people are very disrespectful, It was , great , fantastic, wonderful, bajans forked out $300,000 for some fake ass preacher from the US. name Benny Hinn.