Call for justice

Folks protest alleged cop beating for a confession

GEORGETOWN –– The Central Police Station and the New Amsterdam Magistrates’ Court were on Monday the centre of protest action. On the protest line were relatives, friends, colleagues and fellow villagers of murder accused Deon Sunthgolam, who is charged with the killing of popular businessman Terrence Malcolm McLean, aka “Scatchy”, 62, of Lot 6 Sheet Anchor, East Canje, Berbice.

They are claiming that Sunthgolam, a goldsmith himself and McLean’s business partner, was ill-treated and beaten to have him sign a confession statement. They are also protesting the length of time the police took to produce the medical report.

Residents protesting in front of the New Amsterdam Magistrate’s court.
Residents protesting in front of the New Amsterdam Magistrate’s court.

During Sunthgolam’s first hearing before Magistrate Rhondell Weaver, attorney-at-law Charrandass Persaud raised the issue of his client being beaten into giving a confession. He had requested that his client be taken for a medical examination, which was granted by the magistrate. However, when the matter was called again yesterday, the police were unable to produce the report.

Attorney Persaud expressed his frustration, saying the police might be withholding the report “for their own sinister reason”.

The matter was put down for December 24.

Among the placards that the residents displayed were Stop Police Corruption, Stop Beating Innocent Persons For Confession, Stop Police Abuse, Prisoners Have Rights, We Need Justice, No Justice No Vote. The protest was supported by members of The Alliance For Change.

According to an AFC member, the family members will be sticking with the protesters in their call for justice. They said they were able to meet with the top brass of the police force who promised to have the matter investigated by members of the Office of Professional Responsibility.

Sunthgolam, 38, a father of one, of Canefield Settlement, East Canje, Berbice, is accused of murdering McLean between December 1 and 3
at his home.

Persaud had stated that his client went to the station after he learnt that he was being sought by the police.

He was surprised to meet his client in court on the day he was charged. He alleged that his client is unable to read and write properly and was badly beaten and made to sign a statement.

A post-mortem conducted on McLean’s body on Thursday at the Port Mourant Hospital by Dr Vivekanand Brijmohan gave the cause of death as shock and haemorrhage due to multiple stab wounds.

McLean, who lives alone, was found dead at home around 8 a.m. on Wednesday with suspected stab wounds. The body was partly decomposed.

Source: (Kaieteur News)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *