Ram’s plea

Put down the gun, entertainer tells youth

Popular entertainer Peter Ram Wiggins has called on the country’s youth to put down the gun and turn to meaningful self-employment. Wiggins who won Best Nation-Building Song for his The Pledge, or Blue, Yellow And Black, as it is affectionately referred to, back in 2003, is very concerned about the impact increasing crime is having on his beloved country.

In an interview with Barbados TODAY, while participating in the St Philip Carnival on Independence Monday, Peter Ram made it clear that although people were suffering because of the tough economic situation, turning to a life of crime was not the way to go.

Peter Ram
Peter Ram

“I know that it hard; but the youths have to learn to work with it. I know it hard; but the little that you got you work with it. Buy some drinks and go and sell. When breadfruit season in, get a couple of breadfruits and go and sell; ackee season, go and sell, instead of robbing the poor man that feeling the same pressure . . . . It makes no sense,” Wiggins argued.

The entertainer who is a popular household name locally, regionally and internationally, said he had a grip on the pulse of the people, as he “regularly limes on the block”.

He explained: “I am on the block every day, and you can hear the men planning what they going to do, what they are not going to do; and it rough. But still you got to hold order too, and you got to keep it real.”

He believes the police are doing all they can to maintain law and order.

“If you check it, from the time a man get shoot, by the same day or the day afterwards the police arresting a suspect. Once upon a time your could have blamed the police; but why blame the police?” he questioned.

Peter Ram says something must be done about the tough situation facing the country and its nationals, and he holds it must come by way of change in Government.

“I would like the people to protest so that election will get called and the BLP [Barbados Labour Party] could get in. Mia Mottley will be the next Prime Ministress [Minister].

“Barbados needs a change; and if they don’t change, it will get worse, because I am on the streets, not in the office. I am on the blocks and the corners. I speak to people every day and they are talking about the things that are happening –– people getting robbed, people getting shoot; and it getting worse,” he explained.

He was quick to point out that he meant “no disrespect”, but that the status quo could not remain as is.

“People [are] suffering hard and it real bad. No disrespect, they have good people in the Government. Michael Lashley is my boy, but the way things going . . . .”

Ram shook his head, adding: “People getting laid off. I got family and bedrens [friends] that get lay off and nothing at all for the amount of years that they put in.  All the taxes that coming off of this and coming off of that; now you cannot even get a free ticket to go to a fete; you got people putting tax on complimentary tickets. So it getting harder and harder for real.”

TEN QUESTIONS TO WIGGINS

Entertainer Peter Ram
Entertainer Peter Ram

What does Barbados mean to you?

Barbados means a lot to me; that’s where my roots come from; my first love.

What is an authentic Bajan? What defines a Bajan?

A Bajan is someone that really stays true to their culture; that keeps it strictly Bajan in cooking, in dressing, in partying, and talking –– the dialect. Just keeping everything Bajan and don’t stray away like some people who go to New York for two weeks and come back talking Yankee.

So authentic Bajans are real Bajans, no matter where they go; and everywhere they go, they just fly the colours all the time.

Name your favourite Bajan saying.

Wuh yuh does do? I gine in town an’ buy sumting fuh muhself. How yuh keepin’?

What Bajan food do you love most?

Cou cou an’ flying fish; and I love a flying fish the ole time way, bend back with the head and the tail stick thru; [and] conkies.

What is your favourite Bajan tradition?

Everything Bajan that will cover that because there are so many.

What is your favourite spot on the island?

Anybody that knows me knows that I put up the most pictures of Barbados on my Instagram, but my favourite place is the countryside; love the beaches.

What is your favourite Barbadian song?

My favourite song is The Pledge; Blue Yellow And Black –– put it up! Not being bias, but it is bigger than me.

How do you celebrate Independence Day?

I go to schools and make sure that the children enjoy themselves due to the fact that I won the Nation Building in 2003. So I just go to any school that wants me to perform and sing the same nation building song. I love signing for children, and to make children happy is a joy to me.

What would you change about Barbados?

The Government . . . . People suffering hard and it real bad. No disrespect, they have good people in the Government. Michael Lashley is my boy, but the way things going –– people getting laid off! I got family and bedrens that get lay off and nothing at all for the amount of years that they put in. And all the taxes that coming off of this and coming off of that now you can’t even get a free ticket to go to a fete. You got people putting tax on complimentary tickets.

So it getting harder and harder for real.

What is your wish for Barbados as it celebrates 48 years of Independence?

I would like the people to protest, so that elections will get called and the BLP get in. Mia Mottley will be the next Prime Ministress. Barbados need a change, and if they don’t change, it will get worse, because I am on the streets; not in the office. I am on the blocks and the corners. I speak to people every day and they are talking about the things that are happening –– people getting robbed, people getting shoot –– and it getting worse.

22 Responses to Ram’s plea

1. Doria Alleyne
    Doria Alleyne December 4, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I agree with you Ram 100%.Good luck and Jah blessin g

2. Melissa Paquet
    Melissa Paquet December 4, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Thank you for standing up. More entertainers need to stand up!

3. Melissa Paquet
    Melissa Paquet December 4, 2014 at 12:37 pm

God bless you!

4. Francis McClean
    Francis McClean December 4, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Plain and simple talk

5. Brian Hurley
    Brian Hurley December 4, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Good Call Ram, we can only hope they listen.

6. Susan Banfield
    Susan Banfield December 4, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Sombody had to tell them. Real talk

7. Nola Henry
    Nola Henry December 4, 2014 at 1:09 pm

talk d tings that’s we business tho

8. Ketala Gittens-Roachford
    Ketala Gittens-Roachford December 4, 2014 at 1:12 pm

We need to stand up together … Look at the protest going on in the USA .. We as bajans just grumble nd still end up paying the taxes … we can make the change nd we kno where it starts.

9. Princewill Chibuike
    Princewill Chibuike December 4, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Im African but I love Barbadians, esp a parish called Christ Church, could someone add me up please

10. seagul December 4, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Mr. Ram, You should know by now that it doesn’t matter which party is managing the rock the economy will remain same because all politicians are beholden to west-minister, so be honest with the block. Protesting would be costly and useless.Promoting a new party and more accountability in legislature is a good way.
    We also need to get off the fete culture, with all respect, there is too much ministry. …one

11. Bajan Jay
    Bajan Jay December 4, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Yea good luck with that. Sad to say but this is only the beginning and I’m staying positive.

12. jr smith December 4, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Bajans love cricket, but simply, old saying you keep your eyes on the ball, which ball, in general we are so laid back , we can even come forward.
    Bajans have sat back in bim and allowed everything to ,slip away and pass them by, depending on casting a vote as the only real thing they do in they lives and depend solely on the politicians to tell them where to sit when to stand and so on.
    Bajans will always say they wouldn’t change they way of life for anything, I agree, but at what costs ,these are hard times the chickens are home to roost, we need to take our history focus on this get ourselves together and fix this broken bimshire.
    The sugar cane industry was an annual event ,many bajans look forward to when, lives are change for the harvest period
    now all that’s there ,1 factory which we are not so sure will exist in the future.
    Our rum industry, what a history, again what’s going to become of that. BAJANS HAVE GIVEN SWEAT AND TEARS ,FOR BAJANS TO START FROM A SOLID BASE,WHICH KEEPS US AHEAD OF THE GAME,WHEN OTHERS ARE TRYING ,WE WENT DONE THAT GOT THE T SHIRT , THATS OUR PRIDE
    I have a strong bajan heritage,very proud of that I love my people, we need to fix Barbados first

13. JackBaeur December 4, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Now he is speaking of ppl going to the states once for a stay returning and speaking like a Yankee.but what about ppl like him who profess to be so much a BAJAN but still always trying to sing like a Jamaican.CHK YOURSELF PETER RAM

14. Wendy Odle-Harvey
    Wendy Odle-Harvey December 4, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Good word. Hope they listen to your sound advise!!

15. Wendy Odle-Harvey
    Wendy Odle-Harvey December 4, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Why don’t you Bajans stop looking at what’s going on in the U.S. It’s a whole different culture and beliefs and standards. Please BARBADOS be unique man. You need to look to line up you life with the word of God and not the United States.

16. Ryan Burke
    Ryan Burke December 4, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Real talk… Straight talk!

17. Stanley S Grant
    Stanley S Grant December 4, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Yeh ramma for real good call

18. Tony Millington
    Tony Millington December 4, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Good job, just hope that the young men follow his advice

19. wain dread December 4, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Follow his advice and sell without a licence or vote for the BLP. I am not sure that the alternatives given here are attractive. Offer the youths job training, teach them life skills, budgeting and priorities. This article/interview may have good intentions, but the message was tarnished by political party plug. The truth is, what we are experiencing at this time is global and just as it is in the USA. The Opposition would rather see the Government fail than to see the country prosper.
    Can Ram or any other man give us the agenda that the BLP proposes to solve this situation?

20. Viteline Edwards
    Viteline Edwards December 4, 2014 at 7:34 pm

These are the end times

21. William Bourne
    William Bourne December 4, 2014 at 10:28 pm

thanks, Ram. More people who influence the youth need to get on board as well- maybe, just maybe, it would make some difference