UPDATE- Shooting at Browne’s Beach

DSC_0702
The suspect seen here receiving medical treatment was shot by police

Police have confirmed reports surrounding a shooting incident, which occurred at the popular Browne’s Beach, St Michael this afternoon.

A release issued by lawmen said the shooting occurred at about 12:55 p.m. as two officers attempted to apprehend a man for “selling illegal drugs”.

“During the arrest, the suspect armed himself and attacked the police officers who feared for their lives; one officer drew his service firearm and shot the suspect in his right arm.

“The suspect was immediately taken to the hospital for medical attention by police officers.

“Both officers also sought medical attention for their injuries. The matter is being investigated,” the police statement added.

So far the victim has not been identified by name.

DSC_0734
There was a heavy police presence at Brownes Beach immediately following the shooting.

49 Responses to UPDATE- Shooting at Browne’s Beach

1. Jean-Marc Cozier
    Jean-Marc Cozier December 1, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Why the officer miss and only hit his arm ? Drugs on the beach full of kids !

2. Rickie Brown
    Rickie Brown December 1, 2014 at 8:21 pm

just scary!! as a tourist there I just have not heard of so much danger in Barbados!!!

3. Karamel Gem
    Karamel Gem December 1, 2014 at 8:22 pm

While being arrested he armed himself??????? Please explain

4. Jason Greenidge
    Jason Greenidge December 1, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Thing is I work in the tourism industry.. This is not good Barbados. .. Right in front Hilton…. And I bet the tourist is buy the most weed….

• Nicholas Bott
      Nicholas Bott December 2, 2014 at 12:59 am

Not this tourist from Canada!!!

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley December 2, 2014 at 6:21 am

There has always been weed available to buy on beaches for years, and for someone that works in tourism your insulting mouth will certainly not endear yourself to one tourist, I suggest you aim for a career change

• Jason Greenidge
      Jason Greenidge December 2, 2014 at 6:35 am

So I am the bad one for telling the truth… And the one who shot a human for a plant is all cool for doing it… Hmmm

5. Alana Blackman
    Alana Blackman December 1, 2014 at 9:10 pm

not good at all…stop the shooting pls!!!

6. Nelson Darwin
    Nelson Darwin December 1, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Armed himself, doubtful… Reached for officer’s firearm or in a position to injure the officer, likely.

7. Glendon D. Barrow
    Glendon D. Barrow December 1, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Well. Time to drop the hammer and reeducate the lawlessness so we can enjoy Los Barbados once more.

8. Kyle Proverbs
    Kyle Proverbs December 1, 2014 at 10:30 pm

That explains all those sirens we heard in the distance from pebbles beach today

9. Adrian Reid
    Adrian Reid December 1, 2014 at 11:19 pm

We want more police like that one today if them can’t understand the laws of the land shoot them my family , my friends, and I want to live in peace

10. Bryan L
    Bryan L'Ecuyer December 1, 2014 at 11:21 pm

What’s going on with all these shootings lately ????

• Dianna Carle
      Dianna Carle December 2, 2014 at 11:44 am

The deterioration of morals, values, principals, value of human life….just like everywhere else in the world….and it will get worse !!

• Shay Sofine
      Shay Sofine December 2, 2014 at 3:53 pm

How about no jobs and survival mode has to kick in at some point…when u or the family is hungry no telling what you will do to feed them…the government has so much to do with the state of countries these days

11. David Grazette
    David Grazette December 1, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Barbados has to crack down hard, no matter what crime getting out of hand.

12. Nicholas Bott
    Nicholas Bott December 2, 2014 at 1:03 am

I guess I should pack bullet proof swim trunks for our next holiday in Bim. If we wanted this kinda nonsense, we might as well take our holidays in Jamaica.

• Shay Sofine
      Shay Sofine December 2, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I been travelling to jamaica 2 times a year and never heard of a shooting at a popular beach…jamaica is amazing

13. Toni Carter Watson
    Toni Carter Watson December 2, 2014 at 3:13 am

Nicholas Bott you still can’t compare us to Jamaica and I know if you was to visit you would have a blast of vocation

14. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce December 2, 2014 at 4:08 am

To Serve and Protect. The Officers should of shoot off he fingers and he toes and make the moron swim off the shores of Barbados instead of wasting tax payers money patching he up at the QEH. He sitting down on that stretcher like a tourist on a cruise ship he need pushing off the highest point of Bim.

15. Sheron Fenty December 2, 2014 at 4:16 am

It hurts to see the damage the lawless are doing in this country with their ignorance,It is sad very sad indeed.

16. Diane Masey
    Diane Masey December 2, 2014 at 4:16 am

What with all the shootings and mosquito scare , really makes you think twice about spending your hard earned money on a holiday

17. Tracy Mclean
    Tracy Mclean December 2, 2014 at 4:20 am

We booked barbados for summer 2015 all this violence is making me think again

• Shay Sofine
      Shay Sofine December 2, 2014 at 3:49 pm

The west coast is really amazing….JS

18. Ezekiel Baker
    Ezekiel Baker December 2, 2014 at 6:22 am

These crimes isn’t new, Barbados is fasting becoming one of the most dangerous place to visit now, plush it’s a divided nation, the have and the have not, look at the west coast I were there July,

19. Queenie ShaSha
    Queenie ShaSha December 2, 2014 at 6:27 am

i think that crime exists everywhere right…bim is full of human beings not saints …we offer beautiful views and hot weather and nice beaches…we never said that there arent criminals here and ish wont happen….get real tourists .i go nyc etc and i dont don a bullet proof vest and we kno how crazy america iz

• Shontora December 2, 2014 at 9:39 am

i agree with u.

20. Ezekiel Baker
    Ezekiel Baker December 2, 2014 at 6:37 am

Queenie ShaSha, I know Barbados is beautiful, I love the people, culture everything there, when start visit in the early nineties, all I could hear we were the intelligent slave, I couldn’t believe what I were hearing, I have traveled allover the world and there is criminal doing wicked things, but it wasn’t hidden.

21. Queenie ShaSha
    Queenie ShaSha December 2, 2014 at 7:05 am

well take ur head out of the clouds boo

22. Ryan Videodv
    Ryan Videodv December 2, 2014 at 7:12 am

Ppl may get mad bout what I going to say..I born in Barbados..Live now in Europe I live here 17 yrs visited home 4 times since I been here.I went home when last was 2005 ..My Holidays with family is spent in Spain or Spanish Islands ..Greeks islands also and Turks islands.When I go to Spanish islands safe as a bank safe. Greeks too.Turks do not play..They tourist islands safe.Next year the whole my wife family was planning to let’s make a big family trip 3 different families in all 10 ppl plus meeting my own family at home. .This getting call off I do not want to feel responsible for any thing happening to them in Barbados. So next year Greek island one I never visit.miss home but for a bullet not for me.

• Highly Flavoured Kelalicia
      Highly Flavoured Kelalicia December 2, 2014 at 10:21 am

To me what your saying is stupid. I tired hearing wunna born and breed Bajan talking alot of crap about our country all over the world have crime even if you ain,t come here nobody wouldn,t miss you cause you is a mock Bajan.

• Ryan Videodv
      Ryan Videodv December 2, 2014 at 11:34 am

What ever ..

23. Shelly-Ann Walkes December 2, 2014 at 7:51 am

Crime happen all over the world not only in Barbados. I don’t understand all this hysteria. Thank god the guy was caught and arrested and I hope will be rehabilitated both physically and also mentally. I pray that the police will have a full recovery.

24. Veronica Wieser
    Veronica Wieser December 2, 2014 at 8:33 am

ryan banks get robbed also and you are more likely to get chikungunya than get shot in bim. i would like to know what the suspect armed himself with while being arested.

25. Claire Gibson
    Claire Gibson December 2, 2014 at 9:05 am

Shari

26. Denis Weekes
    Denis Weekes December 2, 2014 at 9:52 am

We need a gun court. Get caught with a gun you go to jail indefinitely.

27. Highly Flavoured Kelalicia
    Highly Flavoured Kelalicia December 2, 2014 at 10:30 am

Some of these comments sickening me though.How the hell Barbados becoming one of the most dangerous country.We ain,t no way near Trinidad or Jamaica don,t talk bout America .Wunna don,t hear we going no schools or any malls and killing people and then some of you people talking bout cancelling wunna trip to Barbados . OH PLEASEEE, and that Ryan Videodv you is a mock Bajan crying down your country .

• Shay Sofine
      Shay Sofine December 2, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Would you want to go on vacation to a small country like Bim when every day you hear one or more shooting…and on a beach where tourist bring their children…people who do not live there can only go by what they see in the paper everyday….but honestly if I was visiting I’d be more scared of the drivers than gun men….JS

28. Clare Seale
    Clare Seale December 2, 2014 at 10:48 am

waittt Montana?!

29. Ryan Videodv
    Ryan Videodv December 2, 2014 at 11:43 am

I know the bullets real ..Some you just lucky you not passing by the same places the ppl getting shoot and if you eyes good at following a bullet leaving a gun that all good ..You who talk they live every day in bim so you know who bad gun man maybe not ..When I was home all the time I would know the same and things change faster than in my time at home no one would had dare a day time killing or shooting today day or night if ya lucky ya lucky..So all the ppl get shoot there by the shop involved in drugs.. And in time home you would think 2 twice to whack a white tourist to rob today…them do not care.

30. Robert December 2, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I am sicken by all the guns and people causing problems on the island. Tourism is being hurt by these people and that make is even more difficult for locals to keep jobs. I agree Barbados is a very safe place BUT we want to keep is safe and that means keeping the peace. I do not have answers just a lot of concerns.

31. John-What Ever
    John-What Ever December 2, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Another shooting, in Barbados

32. Tracy Mclean
    Tracy Mclean December 2, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Shay Sofine we are going to sandals, not sure which coast it’s on.

33. Leeann Jordan
    Leeann Jordan December 2, 2014 at 4:07 pm

south coast of the island Tracy Mclean

34. Diana December 2, 2014 at 8:11 pm

If you want to compare apples for apples: New York City has a population of 8.5 million people. Barbados has 277K. Barbados is becoming a very dangerous place to visit for such a tiny island with small population. Canadian city of Hamilton has 520K and might get a mention of 1 shooting a year. Barbados is almost 1 shooting a week. Very sad indeed. I do not feel it is a safe place to visit for a beach holiday any longer. The majority of Bajans are super nice but the few bad apples that are gun crazy, are ruining the reputation for the island. I was so surprised to see they have police officers in the stores downtown and guards in gas stations. I had no idea it was so bad there. I was told it was a safe place to spend $5000-$10000 on a family vacation. At least in Jamaica you stay on a resort and are protected. But Barbados is a place to go about, z vans, buses or rent a car and explore. It will hurt tourism for sure.

35. kay-rani rosita December 2, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Well said Highly Flavoured Kelalicia.

@Ryan Videodv, I am so ashamed of you. Keep your opinions to yourself and your ignorant mouth shut.

36. Paul December 2, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Ryan Videodv, i shame of you too. How could you let someone run you out of your own yard Barbados is your home , i live here in Canada for the pass 20 odd year i see guns all different types of drugs , pimps and hoes, see i leave Barbados as a ghetto yout and understand the hustle people have to do. it aint easy take a look at cost of living all over,dirty money is better than tax money cause the taxable money goes to the Government and what them do with it put u back on the hustle people have to do what them have too. The weed legalize wouldn’t worth anything love my Bim be back soon nothing or nobody gine stop me

37. seagul December 7, 2014 at 9:14 am

A gun court needed—but a small reward for each gun handed over to the authorities.