PM wants takeover explanation for public

Prime Minister Freundel Stuart has urged the management of Cable & Wireless Communications and Columbus International Inc. to explain their proposed merger to customers and do what is in the best interest of the public.

He offered the suggestion recently as he met with the Chief Executive Officer of C&W Philip Bentley, Chief Executive Officer of Columbus Communications Brendan Paddick, and Head of Government Relations at C&W Chris Dehring, at Government Headquarters.

Prime Minister Freundel Stuart meeting with the Chief Executive Officer of C&W Philip Bentley.
Prime Minister Freundel Stuart meeting with the Chief Executive Officer of C&W Philip Bentley.

Stuart said he had met with the management of both companies separately some weeks ago, and was following very closely what had transpired as a result of the plan by C&W, which operates in the Caribbean as LIME, to takeover Columbus, parent company of rival Flow.

The Prime Minister pointed out that in previous years, there were traumatic changes at C&W that were not properly explained that negatively affected the employees and customers. As a result, he advised the companies, customer confidence could not be restored by promises alone, but by an improved quality of service and an introduction of a range of services far superior to what was offered before.

He said the telecommunications companies could count on Government’s cooperation if the intention was to bring a higher level of service to customers in Barbados.

According to him, Government’s interest was to ensure that there was healthy competition in Barbados, that the customers were able to enjoy a high level of satisfaction, and that the employees were treated fairly and respectfully.

Bentley gave the assurance that the proposed merger would provide customers with improved service and vibrant competition, as well as an opportunity to develop their employees. He insisted that they would “do the right thing” in Barbados.

Paddick said Columbus came to the Caribbean to invest and change it, not dominate the region. He stressed that the company had a people-centred approach, was committed to Barbados, and had already invested millions of dollars here.

Dehring added that the merger would be positive for the region, as it would be left with two strong competitors.

Source: (BGIS)

9 Responses to PM wants takeover explanation for public

  1. Sandra Madea Straker
    Sandra Madea Straker November 27, 2014 at 2:08 am

    bahahahahah…it talking

    Reply
  2. Carolyn Robertson
    Carolyn Robertson November 27, 2014 at 5:55 am

    Take the politics out of this and use what you said you are a book lawyer and not a telephone one and give the answers to the public we are waiting

    Reply
  3. Anderson N Bowen November 27, 2014 at 6:22 am

    Seriously !!!
    How absurd of a statement can you make at paragraph 5 “improved service and vibrant competition”.
    Vibrant competition with whom may I ask?

    Then Tweedle Dumb on the other side chirps in the final paragraph “Dehring added that the merger would be positive for the region, as it would be left with two strong competitors.”

    Please don’t tell me that he is talking about Digicel!

    If it were Flow taking over Lime I would have been prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt but I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in Cable & Wireless.

    Reply
  4. Sheldine Dyall
    Sheldine Dyall November 27, 2014 at 6:36 am

    These business should not be allow to come to Barbados for a short time set up business and then pull out in just over a year. they should be make to pay they (Flow) customers bills for the next 5yrs. Or Lime should be allowed Flow customers to pay Flow rates or reduce they rates.

    Reply
  5. René Holder
    René Holder November 27, 2014 at 7:20 am

    Simple answer in my opinion
    Columbus International Inc is $1.17 billion in debt. C&W is buying them out before their competitor does. Why is this so hard to understand?

    Reply
  6. Cisco Wolf
    Cisco Wolf November 27, 2014 at 8:06 am

    “He said the telecommunications companies could count on Government’s cooperation if the intention was to bring a higher level of service to customers in Barbados.” – Just the intention is required????

    Reply
  7. Neisha Rock
    Neisha Rock November 27, 2014 at 8:10 am

    Oh lawd! Prepare for the big words that the average man wouldn’t understand. Get ya dictionary

    Reply
  8. jr smith November 27, 2014 at 11:56 am

    The cellular phone industry is always accuse of being a cartel.
    Our government minister for telecoms, should pass on to C&W what type of services, he wants and expects for the people of Barbados.
    We should not accept services, as to what they introduce in other islands. Our people are not starting from a low base as like so many islands/countries around the world.
    Do not allow C&W to force us back in a corner.

    Reply
  9. Patrick Blackman November 27, 2014 at 1:34 pm

    This is a straight business decision by these entities and they don’t owe the consumer any explanation or need to provide details. The only thing that matters here is whether the entities broke our competition rules, if they have not, then government and the people can do nothing with the exception of dropping the services from these companies.

    For the primeminister to be out there begging these entities to disclose info the the public is outright stupidity.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *