T&T’s Most Wanted nabbed by police

PORT OF SPAIN –– For over a month, residents of Brasso Seco hid in their homes, shied away from the media and were even afraid to talk to the police amid fears that the man believed responsible for the disappearance and deaths of three of their fellow villagers remained on the run and presumably still in the area.

Azmon Alexander was deemed by the police as a “person of interest” following the disappearance of Irma Rampersad, 49, and her daughters, Felicia, 17, and Jennelle Gonzales, 19, and Irma’s granddaughter, one-year-old Shania Amoroso, when they went missing from their Paria Morne Bleu Road, Brasso Seco, home on October 26.

Azmon Alexander
Azmon Alexander

Their disappearance was reported to the police on October 26.

A family friend, Felix Martinez, 52, also went missing a short time after.

On November 8, the bodies of Irma Rampersad and Shania Amoroso were found in the depths of the Brasso Seco Forest by a combined team of police and soldiers who used K9 sniffer dogs to locate the people. The body of Martinez was found hours after.

With the discovery of the three bodies, residents of Brasso Seco became even more fearful of the man believed responsible for the killings and, according to several residents, they began implementing an unofficial curfew which saw them all in their respective homes by 8 p.m.

Then also began rumours that Alexander was seen in the area and had disguised himself as a woman in a bid to flee the forest which had been under a heavy police dragnet since investigations into the missing people began.

In the end he was not found in a dress or a wig.

He was not even clean-shaven and was actually arrested wearing three-quarter pants and a T-shirt around 10:30 a.m. along the Lennox-Yearwood Boulevard in Malabar, Arima, in a green Mazda motor car.

He had a cutlass in his possession and was the lone passenger apart from the driver.

He offered no resistance when the police nabbed him.

Inspector Mark Maharaj, who spoke on behalf of the arresting party of officers, stated: “We have been going night and day with this investigation, and this morning we are drained.”

He said they did not rely on an anonymous tip but rather quietly gathered information following which they began paying undercover surveillance to the Lennox-Yearwood Boulevard area and its environs, and yesterday they decided to act knowing where he would be and what time he would be there.

In Brasso Seco yesterday, the Express was told that following the arrest the community’s road to normalcy would be a long one.

Peter Sylvester, the husband of Irma Rampersad, happily spoke to reporters yesterday.

Asked how he felt about the suspect he said: “I would not ask him nothing. I would beat him. It is better that I not see he.”

The small compound where they live is located just off the Paria Morne Bleu Road, Brasso Seco, and when approached by reporters yesterday the mood was much more relaxed than weeks before.

“We are relieved. We could live a bit more comfortable now because everybody was scared,” said Sylvester.

“By 6 p.m. our doors were closed and we was under siege in our own homes,” he said.

He had nothing but praises for the police who he said never left them.

He said that in Paria “the kind of way we live we was surprised that something like this could have happened to the baby. That one-year-old girl [Shania]? . . . I cannot describe how they could have done a li’l girl like that, because all of us know that child from birth”.

He said while Alexander remained at large the area had changed.

“Man used to go down the road and lime li’l bit till eight or nine; but not again. But it will take a while for things to get back to normal,” said Sylvester.

Source: (Trinidad Express)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *