Fire leaves man homeless

A St Michael man is homeless after a fire destroyed his two-bedroom house and virtually all his possessions.

Albert Michaud, a St Lucian who has been living at 3rd Avenue, Deans Village, was only able to save his passport and two chairs.

He told Barbados TODAY, he received the dreaded call about 1:15 p.m. and he hurriedly made his way to the scene but it was too late.

Albert Michaud (right), who lost his home, is being comforted by his neighbour Michael West.
Albert Michaud (right), who lost his home, is being comforted by his neighbour Michael West.

Michaud was puzzled about what led to the blaze.

Police on the scene at the location of the house fire.
Police on the scene at the location of the house fire.

“I don’t know how the fire started because when I left home this morning I unplugged the TV. The only thing on was the fridge. I left nothing on. I didn’t even drink tea this morning to say I left something on,” he said.

He said he would have to make arrangements with friends to find somewhere to stay.

Meanwhile, his next door neighbour Michael West, who occupied a three-bedroom house with his wife and son, also sustained water and paint damage, while some windows were cracked.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *