No Ebola symptoms

The management company for the ship that Minister of Tourism Richard Sealy said was blocked from entering because two crew members had Eloba-like symptoms has insisted that the men only showed signs of a chest infection.

In a statement emailed to Barbados TODAY, MOL Tankship Management (Europe) Ltd said the two Filipinos on board the chemical tanker Noble Spirit wanted to get chest examinations and tests but were denied by Barbados as well as Jamaica.

noble spirit
The chemical tanker Noble Spirit which was denied entry to Barbados last month.

According to MOL, the men joined the vessel in the United States on September 30, after flying directly from the Philippines.

“Neither of them had ever visited Ebola infected countries and neither had the vessel ever called at ports in Ebola infected countries,” it said.

“On October 9, while the Noble Spirit was en route in ballast from Houston to Equatorial Guinea, both seafarers complained of symptoms of a chest infection and were treated onboard under advice from Radio Medical Assistance Rome. CIRM Roma did, however, recommend that they be landed at a convenient port for chest examination and tests.”

The company said that the authorities in Kingston, Jamaica and Bridgetown both refused to allow the vessel to enter or the crew to disembark.

Noble Spirit subsequently sailed directly to Equatorial Guinea as the two crew members fully recovered after a few days treatment from what was a minor chest infection, while the rest of the crew are all in a healthy condition,” it added.

 

7 Responses to No Ebola symptoms

  1. Beverley Headley
    Beverley Headley November 3, 2014 at 8:50 am

    That is how the Minister responsible for taking this action responds to mist things-just take a look at the state of our Tourism Industry

    Reply
  2. Beverley Headley
    Beverley Headley November 3, 2014 at 8:55 am

    Do I need say more? When the head bad the whole body bad-no positives came out of Tourism in the past 4 years-all the events they put on is entertainment for Barbadians-have anyone questioned the ROI or even checked to see how many people actually came into the island for these events? This has nothing to do with the world, but everything to do with drivers who cannot drive-stay tuned

    Reply
  3. Frederick Alleyne
    Frederick Alleyne November 3, 2014 at 11:18 am

    Don’t think anyone is prepared but I also do not think we should operate in a climate of fear or panic.

    Reply
  4. kay-rani rosita November 3, 2014 at 11:33 am

    MOL said it was chest infections and without any form of proof, this is readily accepted. They may not have travelled to Ebola infected countries, but has anyone with Ebola come into contact with them?
    Barbadians should thank Minister Richard Sealy; it is a case of better SAFE than SORRY.

    Reply
  5. Mia Blackman
    Mia Blackman November 3, 2014 at 6:44 pm

    Cuz ppl suffering from chest pain doesn’t mean they may have Ebola. How equipped are we to tell. We may be turning away ppl who doesn’t have the disease but have something else that we could help with. This could probably be a show for government to make the ppl feel they doing something good.

    Reply
  6. Dave Payne
    Dave Payne November 3, 2014 at 7:31 pm

    I wanna know now sandles is here and so many hotels empty where the ppl gonna come from to fill them??

    Reply
  7. Robert Holloway
    Robert Holloway November 3, 2014 at 8:39 pm

    wonder what facts were known…

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *