Fire leaves family homeless

A family of eight was left homeless last night after a fire completely destroyed their residence at Coconut Walk, Hastings, Christ Church.

It took eight members of the Barbados Fire Service and two tenders to put out the blaze that started at around 9 p.m.

The three-bedroom wooden house, which was not insured, was occupied by 56-year-old Shirley Burke, her two sons, her daughter and four grandchildren.

No one was injured.

4 Responses to Fire leaves family homeless

  1. Cavil Best
    Cavil Best September 13, 2014 at 10:47 am


  2. Marcela James
    Marcela James September 13, 2014 at 3:53 pm

    so sorry to hear

  3. jr smith September 14, 2014 at 8:38 am

    Why so many fires. Are people getting that careless, everyone of these fires should be thoroughly investigated.

  4. Tony Waterman September 14, 2014 at 3:28 pm

    I would be VERY INTERESTED in having Someone/Anyone describe to me, this area in Hastings knows as COCONUT WALK.

    And yes jr smith i agree with you, here in the Province of Ontario the Fire Marshall’s Office always investigates fires and write a report outlining how in their opinion the fire was started etc. when tabulated the results are used to formulate Educational Ads/Information on how to avoid becoming a fire victim.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *