Al Barrack chains Warrens complex

DSC_0128
One of the chained and padlocked entrances to the Warrens Office Complex.

I have had enough!

This declaration from the owner of the Warrens Office Complex, Al Barrack, as he this morning placed two massive locks and chains on the doors of the building, prohibiting scores of civil servants from the various Government departments housed in the complex from entering.

Frustrated that he has still not received the money Government owes him for the construction of the building or for rent, the contractor said he took the action because he wanted what is due to him.

DSC_0056
Police were dispatched to the scene.

“I’m not opening here until they bring the cheque. This has been going on for 14 years . That is too long,” he declared.

“I am the owner of the building. I am not here to make no noise with anybody. This is not an eviction.”

Almost eight years ago, Barrack was awarded $34 million by the law courts after suing Government over the completion of the complex.

He has had vowed to recover every cent he and his creditors are owed – $75 million with accrued interest.

During a telephone conversation with Barrack this morning, Minister of Housing and Land, Denis Kellman told the contractor he was “quite surprised” by his actions, to which Barrack retorted: “I took it because I told you I would do it and you told me I wouldn’t do it. So I did it.”

Al Barack makes his case to property manager of the complex, William Clarke.
Al Barrack makes his case to property manager of the complex, William Clarke.

“I have legal possession of this building. The Government gave me possession of this building in 2009. The  Cabinet of Barbados gave me the building in 2009 and they told me it was irreversible. I sat there and waited for six years . . . so I lock it.

“I didn’t want to do this but I had to do it because you all doan care if I eat or not. This is all I work for in my entire life. I am almost 80 years old and you paying games with my life. Y’all messing me up. How I gon eat,” he asked the minister.

79 Responses to Al Barrack chains Warrens complex

1. Ernest T Moona
    Ernest T Moona August 18, 2014 at 8:30 am

loooooooooool@ Headley Kym

2. Shakirah Holligan
    Shakirah Holligan August 18, 2014 at 8:30 am

Should of done that everysince!

3. Michelle Thompson
    Michelle Thompson August 18, 2014 at 8:31 am

he right go al barack

4. Vicky Briggs
    Vicky Briggs August 18, 2014 at 8:31 am

They need to pay this man what is due to him

5. Red Paul
    Red Paul August 18, 2014 at 8:32 am

Al Barack…..ade ?

6. Trecia Waithe
    Trecia Waithe August 18, 2014 at 8:33 am

For a 80 year man u should not take the matter into ur own but alot of plo gine say pay the man his money but plp have to understand. That alot of government workers can’t even get pay.u see what the BLP do run the country n theDLP can’t catch them selves as yet

• Haynes Egan
      Haynes Egan August 18, 2014 at 8:40 am

It’s the man property he can do whatever he likes with it 80 or 40yrs plus the DLP need to get there act together the BPL is yesterday’s news

• Sober Child
      Sober Child August 18, 2014 at 8:43 am

Cool so I can stay At your house rent free for years then? Can’t tell me no and lock me out, don’t be hypocritical

• Sam Delmas
      Sam Delmas August 18, 2014 at 9:36 am

LOL there’s always ‘that one person’, and you ma’am are that one person. Smh

• Addison Cortlandt
      Addison Cortlandt August 18, 2014 at 11:44 am

Sam Delmas you are so correct! Clearly she is one of those DLP persons who have on blinders.

7. Headley Kym
    Headley Kym August 18, 2014 at 8:37 am

@ Trecia. ..wait you ain’t see Myrie got her $$$, government workers still ain’t get they $$$$
    He got bills also, ppl he still owe from years ago also. …so as I say , put yourself in Barrack shoes and come back to this page.

8. Cherry Matunda Heri
    Cherry Matunda Heri August 18, 2014 at 8:37 am

good for you AL Barack

9. Sharon Antionette Broomes
    Sharon Antionette Broomes August 18, 2014 at 8:37 am

He right like ass and for people to say he shouldn’t have done it no how they bread r butter. Eight years r u kidding me he should have done it long time.

10. Caroca Cabrinie
    Caroca Cabrinie August 18, 2014 at 8:40 am

I owe, I owe , I owe so off to work I go.

11. Anika D Benj
    Anika D Benj August 18, 2014 at 8:41 am

Why now? Why today? Politics makes for strange bedfellows

• Sober Child
      Sober Child August 18, 2014 at 8:45 am

Probably was under pressure from the banks for a while to take measures to pay them back. He owe ppl money too and they won’t be so patient

• Sharon Sealy
      Sharon Sealy August 18, 2014 at 9:20 am

Why not now?….Why not today? … Anika

12. Vicky Briggs
    Vicky Briggs August 18, 2014 at 8:41 am

Trecia Waithe are you serious? Where did you now come from? Under the rock maybe? Stfu!

• Haynes Egan
      Haynes Egan August 18, 2014 at 8:43 am

I feel so vicky

• Wayne Gonsalves
      Wayne Gonsalves August 18, 2014 at 8:47 am

If after a term plus they cant catch themselves maybe someone should nominate Ninja man to run in govt . He at least got the whole income tax building fenced offf cuse he used to sleep there.

13. Haynes Egan
    Haynes Egan August 18, 2014 at 8:43 am

I feel so vicky

14. Wayne Gonsalves
    Wayne Gonsalves August 18, 2014 at 8:47 am

15. Daniel Polonis
    Daniel Polonis August 18, 2014 at 8:48 am

Headline should have Read “Al Barrack, Retrenches all government workers at Warrens complex” lets see how this plays out..cause as legal owner..I think he is fully in his rights.

16. Ryan Henry
    Ryan Henry August 18, 2014 at 8:50 am

Hooray for this man!! U paid Myrie to save face but can’t pay Barrack what is his. Them studying the financial impacts but care little about the social impact their actions have. I know they never expected anything like that.

17. Headley Kym
    Headley Kym August 18, 2014 at 8:55 am

Plus George Edgehill ain’t get paid either. …His in the millions and counting also, so you who’s going to pay him, we Bajans, cause them gine tax we asses like it’s never been tax before.

18. Tracia Beckles
    Tracia Beckles August 18, 2014 at 8:59 am

Pay the man wanna send me home and thousands of government workers to cut expenditure………..what a ‘NATIONAL DISGRACE’ this morning although its his property some ppl would still say different. This is the Barbados in which we all live in.

19. Martina Arthur
    Martina Arthur August 18, 2014 at 9:00 am

The same way they get money to pay myrie…get money to pay the man!!!!!!! I wish he would keep it lock till he get all of his money….the government playing too much!!!

20. Blue Ryder
    Blue Ryder August 18, 2014 at 9:01 am

Who else dem owe?! Come out thingsssss#Human Rights…how he going to eat? How he grands gine go school? How he great grands gine know everything okay????

21. Quiet Stormnattie
    Quiet Stormnattie August 18, 2014 at 9:04 am

Terriann Notnice Joseph

22. Terriann Notnice Joseph
    Terriann Notnice Joseph August 18, 2014 at 9:07 am

Smh

23. Lady-Stylez Pilgrim
    Lady-Stylez Pilgrim August 18, 2014 at 9:10 am

Utter rubbish!!! They pay the jamaican character!!!! Pay Barrack too even if it was in installments

• Addison Cortlandt
      Addison Cortlandt August 18, 2014 at 12:15 pm

They tried years ago, but he wouldn’t accept. He wanted ALL one time…and this is where it’s brought him to

24. NathAn Salcedo
    NathAn Salcedo August 18, 2014 at 9:10 am

#mustberenamed
    #barrackonpresident
    #Shadesdarkhatpullover
    #santanavoiceANYWAIEE
    #thatderealbadman
    #mantellsecuritygetout

25. Grace Bell
    Grace Bell August 18, 2014 at 9:16 am

Wow! this is serious!

26. Lisha Clarke
    Lisha Clarke August 18, 2014 at 9:16 am

He RIGHT!!!!! Don’t chicken out now ya know ! Money or nothing !!! He took too long to do this….when you owe, you must pay…

27. David Gibson
    David Gibson August 18, 2014 at 9:21 am

desperate times calls for desperate measures

28. Julia Whitehall
    Julia Whitehall August 18, 2014 at 9:24 am

Well i can’t say i didn’t see this one comming.If they promised the man the property as payment that his property now.They found money to pay myrie but though barrak would sit silent and continue waiting.It doesn’t work like that.

29. Marilyn Clarke Cook
    Marilyn Clarke Cook August 18, 2014 at 9:25 am

Good move.

30. Princess Tiny Neferua
    Princess Tiny Neferua August 18, 2014 at 9:27 am

Ya right…its your property…do what the hell you want with it..if it was mine…I would dumb a load of solid waste on the door step and see if government would come and move it

31. Eton Thompson
    Eton Thompson August 18, 2014 at 9:33 am

If he was white they would’ve paid him a long time ago.

• Ron Murr
      Ron Murr August 18, 2014 at 9:36 am

He painted himself white a while back but that didn’t work

• Eton Thompson
      Eton Thompson August 18, 2014 at 9:54 am

As in literally? Or figuratively?

32. Eton Thompson
    Eton Thompson August 18, 2014 at 9:33 am

I will love to know the outcome of this.

33. Carlos Hunte
    Carlos Hunte August 18, 2014 at 9:35 am

He should have done this since 2002/2003

34. Kareem Silverfoxx Simon
    Kareem Silverfoxx Simon August 18, 2014 at 9:50 am

It only goes to show how we treat our own leave on the chains and grind the living daylights outta the so called government…

35. Amanda Browne
    Amanda Browne August 18, 2014 at 9:53 am

Real thing Dionna Findlay

36. John Kinch
    John Kinch August 18, 2014 at 9:56 am

Al Barack should have done this years ago, he has the right. Keep them locked out and the check will come quick.

37. Ava Forde
    Ava Forde August 18, 2014 at 10:00 am

wow well it is his building soo….

38. Tamika Sheena Harpee
    Tamika Sheena Harpee August 18, 2014 at 10:03 am

A real Chavez weeee, a BOSS

39. Jay Nisha Alleyne
    Jay Nisha Alleyne August 18, 2014 at 10:05 am

Dont unlock dem chains til yuh get a cheque barack

40. Narine Suckoo
    Narine Suckoo August 18, 2014 at 10:22 am

Good for him. If you do not pay Water Authority they put a lock. why not the same? They get enough funds from SoLid waste tax to pay de ma. PAYYYYYYYY HE!!!

41. Nines Live
    Nines Live August 18, 2014 at 10:27 am

Had he been a WHITE contractor dis would never had happen ,so sad BLACK MAN in a 80% Black Country and still getting trample ,come on black people we ain’t even leaving nothing for other people to do to we ,we destroying we self , PAY DE MAN HE ALL MONEY de man old and want to leave a legacy for his future generation

42. Trudy Alleyne Fertur Lux
    Trudy Alleyne Fertur Lux August 18, 2014 at 10:40 am

Lool

43. Nigel Sobers August 18, 2014 at 10:43 am

Just another glaring example of how selective “justice” truly is… This body of officials elected by “we” The people get to run ramshod over us constantly sucking the marrow out of the majority, the poor people while catering to the whims of the the so-called elite. Situations like this exist all over this island, the madness of the so-called solution to child maintenance, the wutless attitude of hoteliers and restaurants toward the staff that keep their buildings running, tour in to government for handouts to continue funding their lavish lifestyles while the bulk of the workers under their charge can’t even get sufficient hours and pay to get by, the blatant and scandalous attitude of local employers giving jobs to undocumented immigrants for cheap labor. This democracy and current state must come to an end if this country is to progress and ever emerge from this pit we have dug ourselves in.

44. Crystal Fagan
    Crystal Fagan August 18, 2014 at 10:52 am

Lol

45. Mac10 August 18, 2014 at 10:53 am

I’ve seen it countless times & its always terrible when I see a policeman in uniform with no shirt. Surely the BDF can come better than this.

46. Tony Webster August 18, 2014 at 11:04 am

In another “update” BT article this morning, I read that an officer of the law advised Mr. Barrack about “giving notice” before enforcing a landlord’s right to secure his property. If reported accurately, someone within the R.B.P.F. should have a quiet word with the relevant officer, and appraise him carefully on the distinction between criminal law, and civil law. The latter would be relevant in this case, and The R.B.P.F. would not only be out of order in so doing, but could well be held to be in contempt of court. I rest my case.
    Cuddear…someone trying to give de man a stroke, or a heart attack? Shame!

47. Eleanor Marcelle
    Eleanor Marcelle August 18, 2014 at 11:05 am

Long long ago when the building was being completed the government of the day should have paid the man, don’t you think?

48. Alicia Cinnamon
    Alicia Cinnamon August 18, 2014 at 11:16 am

Yes he should b paid but he can still conduct himself in a more diplomat manner cux we all r aware of how long it was goin on for.

49. Shellyann Neal
    Shellyann Neal August 18, 2014 at 11:21 am

Myrie was paid $75,000. Barrack is owed over 50M. He didn’t want to accept a payment plan he wanted all. Had he, he wudda been paid by now. Stop comparing Myrie payment to this, it’s a fraction of what the govt had to look for in comparison to this.

50. Addison Cortlandt
    Addison Cortlandt August 18, 2014 at 11:42 am

Cawbleeeenn!! If only bajans had a heart like this man!! I tip my hat off to you sir and if you had told me I would come and sit down on those steps with you. Smh…this government is a joke! #antsandgrasshoppers

51. Dominic King August 18, 2014 at 11:50 am

Good for you, should on done it long ago.

52. Ronald R Thompson
    Ronald R Thompson August 18, 2014 at 12:13 pm

De ppl of B’dos should also tell de government that they had enuff

53. Ronald R Thompson
    Ronald R Thompson August 18, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I now want to hear funble take on this lol

54. Lisha Clarke
    Lisha Clarke August 18, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Ronald R Thompson funble ? Hahahahaa

55. Donna Rosanna Shepherd
    Donna Rosanna Shepherd August 18, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Just getting worse ans worse everyday. Barbados ent rising up!!! We sinking way below more and more. Yes. Is sad how things running in this country…. What a shame. I can’t get vex with the man tho. Sigh

56. Donna Rosanna Shepherd
    Donna Rosanna Shepherd August 18, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Them tek he money and give Myrie!!!!

57. Angela Thompson Branch
    Angela Thompson Branch August 18, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Locked out what or where next. By the way I hear a gym opening at Sky Mall wonder if they have all the room they need?

58. ROB August 18, 2014 at 1:34 pm

THIS INFORMATION IS PRINTED ALL OVER THE WORLD
    YOU CAN PAY AL. 34 MILLIO0N, BUT WANT TO FLOAT BONDS FOR HUNDREDS ON MILLIONS, THAT’S WHY FITCH, MOODYS AND THE S&P WILL CONTINUE TO DOWNGRADE AND IT WOULD BE VERY HARD TO CATCH UP YOU ARE BROKE PERIOD THE END. BAD BUSINESS BARBADOS.

59. Simone Thompson
    Simone Thompson August 18, 2014 at 2:12 pm

(Y). Good for Al Barack!

60. jr smith August 18, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Here we go again, it seems as though a couple of weeks passess , and our very well educate politicans, exposes barbados shamefully to the developed world. Whats next,

What the hell Mr. Obarrack is black and bajan, yuh home man do yah thing.

61. Barbadiana August 18, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Have u ppl that are blaming the Government aware that this case was first brought up to be paid by the BLP who blatantly refused to pay Mr.Barrack et al (all those politicians involved lol) why now Cry down the government please let common sense prevail why not blame them both instead of just the DLP!! Take a look at the Eagle Hall supposed to be market millions wasted there what about the dump that cost millions on top of millions and up to now we can’t utilize it!! This is only 2 out of many mess ups…be true to yourselves and blame both not one!!!

62. Ingrid Bullen August 18, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Al Barack should be paid ever since.

63. Mr. Technical August 18, 2014 at 11:23 pm

AL B based on what he said will only be paid for 3 months rent.
    The 60 odd million is still to he settled. I enjoyed the previous comments.

64. IVAN.D.TERRIBLE August 19, 2014 at 12:48 am

If he was white he would have gotten his money n then some every since .