Short’s story to tell

Columbus Short is best known for his starring role in the hit ABC series Scandal, having played the character Harrison Wright for roughly three seasons.

Now, like his former character’s on the small screen, the 31-year-old actor’s life has been playing out like a scene from the series, embroiled in battle after battle, court case after court case, in his personal life.

Short had been in Barbados this past week as the guest of Fantasy Barbados, taking part in the Crop Over Festival, hosting an artistes workshop and being part of a fund-raising drive to assist the National HIV/AIDS Food Bank.

“When I came out here, I didn’t know really what I was getting myself into; and that’s the truth. I didn’t know all the way what I was getting myself into,” he said in what he termed “a real moment”, as he hosted a special benefit event last evening at which a cheque for $2,500 was handed over to the food bank.

Columbus Short presents all smiles as he presented a cheque to the National HIV Food Bank at last night’s benefit event hosted by Muse.

“This cheque is what they were supposed to pay me to come here . . . . I didn’t get paid to come here, and the little bit that they could pay me, this is for that. I don’t want it. Now that I don’t have a job, I don’t have nothing; but I have been fortunate . . . .”

With this going on, as if written by some of the best writers in Tinseltown, Short in the past week missed a court hearing in his domestic violence case last week and a judge issued a warrant for his arrest.

He had been ordered to appear in court, as his estranged wife Tanee McCall sought more protection from him, after he had been arrested in February for alleged domestic violence assault against McCall.

“I’m gonna tell you guys because you guys need to know. This is real because I have something to say for a change that is not BS. For real! When I had to come out here, I was supposed to be in court. I had to make a decision. I was stuck [between] a rock and a hard place for real. I had this [trip] planned for six months, but sometimes when people see you happy, when they want you to be down and they be winning, that’s when the devil starts to work.

“So I’m like, all of a sudden on the day I’m supposed to fly to Barbados, I have an emergency court date. At the last minute, I didn’t know about it until today [the day I’m supposed to travel]. I said, ‘You know what? Do I let down a whole island or a whole country for me or do I get on the plane and show up for the people?’. So, if by chance I’m in jail when I go back to America, I’m gonna tell you right now, it was worth it,” Short declared.

He told Bajan Vibes, ahead of his departure from the island for his home in Los Angeles, he had fallen in love with the island, after, in the United States, with everything that has so far happened, “everyone turned their back on me without truth”.

“They turned their backs on me with stories. That’s not how family work. That is not how my people work. At least so I thought; but guess what . . . . I learned a lot. I’ve learnt a lot because I’d lost faith in humanity. I lost faith in humanity and then I came out here and realised whoa . . . if you just leave LA [Los Angeles], maybe you might meet real people.

“Me coming out here is changing things in my life. You [Barbadian people] have reinvigorated my belief in human beings and church. I’ve been in LA and that’s ‘not real’. The people here are real, authentic. That’s why I’m here,” Short said.

Short spent his last day on island hosting a workshop for actors, dancers and singers at the Hilton Barbados.

“There were persons there between 17 and say . . . 35, and we were there and I was talking with them sharing . . . . I’ve knocked my head against the wall a lot because no one came and taught me how I want to do that. So today it was just an amazing time to just sit down with people and talk. I came here, I saw a need and I am gonna roll up my sleeve and we are gonna get it done.

“I’ll be here next month. I’m gonna shoot my video here. Trevor Pretty has been like a godsend for me when I came here.  He took me in. His family –– we’re gonna shoot the video probably in the country and when we close the video it is going to feel like Kadooment because when we go down that street with the cameras and everybody in that neighbourhood . . .  we are going to put Barbados up there. Promise,” Short revealed.

Taking time to pose with spectators along the Grand Kadooment route.
Taking time to pose with spectators along the Grand Kadooment route.

ryangilkes@barbadostoday.bb

33 Responses to Short’s story to tell

1. Julia Robinson
    Julia Robinson August 7, 2014 at 9:52 am

I am so sick of reading about this guy and bajans are so guilble. He does not give a crap about wunna like most Black Americans. He was just enjoying the moment but we shall see if he puts his money where is mouth is! Bajans are always so ready to degrade their own (Rihanna) and accept folk they don’t know anything about. What the heck has he done for Barbados that Rihanna has not…nothing! We already know the problem bajans have with Rihanna….jealousy and envy. The least he could have done and did was to give back the money that was paid to him. What did he put in? Did he pay the hotel bill or did he give back that money also?

2. Julia Robinson
    Julia Robinson August 7, 2014 at 9:52 am

3. Michele Monique Antoinette
    Michele Monique Antoinette August 7, 2014 at 9:54 am

How is this still news????

4. Daniel Polonis
    Daniel Polonis August 7, 2014 at 9:59 am

Its an amusing article….lets see if Mr. Short is able to travel after his court date. I wish him luck.

5. Julia Edwards Robinson
    Julia Edwards Robinson August 7, 2014 at 10:16 am

Gullible!!!

6. Julia Edwards Robinson
    Julia Edwards Robinson August 7, 2014 at 10:19 am

Like I said before…there were dozens of bajans in Barbados for CropOver spending big money…much more that 2,500.00 who is doing great things for Barbados and I haven’t seen a single mention of them furthermore, a story every day. Man…enough is sufficient!

7. Rhea Richards
    Rhea Richards August 7, 2014 at 10:20 am

go home short n deal wid de court n come back we int holding fugitives deal wid your self den you will be welcomed back

8. Julia Whitehall
    Julia Whitehall August 7, 2014 at 10:26 am

Im going to say this.I don’t know who to believe but i know we loe to base our opinions on what we read in the tabloids.The story about him came from tmz the same tmz that picked apart rhianna for being in a costumed band for cropover.If i read correctly he didn’t take the money he was hosted by fantasy the band so they probably paid his expenses just like anyone would pay the expenses of anyone they invited here.I mean he might have been stupid for skipping a court date to come here but he was right he was advertised to come her long before any story of a court date came up.He was advertised all over fantasy’s facebook page.so i think we have been throwing blame at the wrong people here he didn’t come her on his own he came invitation.

9. Elke Hassell
    Elke Hassell August 7, 2014 at 10:41 am

Lord oh Lord – Guilty in the Public Court! What happens to innocent until proven guilty – Anybody???? That’s the problem right here too many Judges in the World. Shame on you all

10. Les Carr
    Les Carr August 7, 2014 at 11:34 am

He didn’t invite himself…….that’s one certain end thing….a bajan invited him

11. Ricky Harris
    Ricky Harris August 7, 2014 at 11:46 am
  12. Matthew Alleyne
    Matthew Alleyne August 7, 2014 at 12:30 pm

People read the article it said he was to go to court because the ex wife wanted additional protection from the court, which in my little knowledge of the court system means he was GUILTY in the first place and persisted to contact or harass the wife, and we really can’t have it both ways,domestic violence is domestic violence rich or poor,black or white, people don’t close your eyes to the real story #domesticviolence

13. Michele Monique Antoinette
    Michele Monique Antoinette August 7, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Wow ppl getting disrespectful and angry over this???? As a ppl we have bigger fish to fry. Fish called ‘the sinking economy’. This is old news…shall we move on? I wld like to hear more about how exactly gment sees this heavy investment in sam lords helping the economy. …if it can. And whats gment next move.

14. Trudi Harris
    Trudi Harris August 7, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I know nothing about media and selling news. But all the people that complaining if there will be a story about him everyday when @barbados today posts stories about him they probably get the most likes or hits or whatever is calculated…

15. Crystal Fagan
    Crystal Fagan August 7, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Well then you should be thankful he donated something then…cuz I think that’s what this article is really about…

16. Tony Jennings
    Tony Jennings August 7, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Mr. Short, you can go on back to the U.S. Everything will be just fine. Get a one way ticket; its cheaper. You don’t need any weapons here, Mr. Short. We’re your friends. Better hurry though, and get back to the U.S.

17. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder August 7, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Jesus wept!!…

18. Angela Maria
    Angela Maria August 7, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I have no idea who this guy is, could care less. This is what I think about celebrities: they does sh**te, get sick, love, lose, cry, laugh, make mistakes, mess up..just like me. I don’t want a pic with one (unless I could sell it to some fool on Ebay,) I’m not going to waste my time asking you for an autograph just because you can sing, act or shoot a blasted ball…I don’t give a frig. I will watch your movie, listen to your music and that is it, could care less about you beyond that. When one of them find the cure for cancer or for AIDS, then let me know; I will be the first one in line for an autograph then.

19. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder August 7, 2014 at 4:57 pm

At the hypocrites an the how fake people or in Barbados we live like cats an dogs towards each other every day but let some celebrity show up see how sweet people or around them that’s y u see people true colors in the end,lord don’t sleep an don’t forget he don’t change people change like the weather…

20. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder August 7, 2014 at 5:04 pm

That’s y the cross is my celebrity I celebrate its death each day….

21. Samanthe Yearwood
    Samanthe Yearwood August 7, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Whatever happen between d man n his wife none of my business r any of us I’m just happy he came enjoyed himself and if he ends up in jail back home I pray he will get through whatever comes his way

22. Mia Blackman
    Mia Blackman August 7, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I could be wrong. He said he did not pay for his stay here, so whoever brought him here had airfare,luggage, a place to stay and food to pay for. All for him to present a cheque worth $2 500? Hmm I wonder how much his stay was.

23. Mia Blackman
    Mia Blackman August 7, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Some of u guys getting mixed up. The cheque is paid to the HIV food bank not him. I wonder how much money he contributed tho. After all was it worth it bringing him here to present a cheque worth $2500, if bringing him here was more than that?

24. Allan B Love
    Allan B Love August 7, 2014 at 7:20 pm

There’s a warrant for his arrest for not appearing to court for domestic violence in the USA …but I guess he can use this act to say this is why he couldn’t appear. Charity event …Lol

25. Melissa Griffith August 8, 2014 at 8:30 am

Wait the guy came to Barbados had a good time for Crop Over say bajans are loving people and its a problem. Why ever thing has to be negative.