Crisis facing youth

Young people in Barbados are facing a crisis!

That is the view of Roger Husbands, chairman and Director of Drug Education and Counseling Services (DECS), who told a press conference today that youth unemployment, involvement in gang and crime-related activities, teenage pregnancies and male prostitution were wreaking havoc on society.

Roger Husbands
Roger Husbands

“The issue is that we do have problems with our young people and I think it is time we take a stand. I am hoping that the Minister of Youth, Family, Sports and Culture [Stephen Lashley] would take the opportunity to sit down with key stakeholders and try to come up with some plans.

“I am tired of seeing young people unemployed, I am tired of seeing the young girls out there pregnant and the fathers leaving them and they can’t support themselves, I am tired of seeing young people committing crimes and killing each other. A few years ago I predicted that this would happen. The reality is that we are seeing more violence than we have seen before and we ain’t see nothing yet,” voiced Husbands.

The outspoken youth activist, who was been criticised for his position on a number of issues, said recent shootings point to an upsurge in gang-related activities and he is urging lawmen to increase street patrols.

“Unless we deal with this problem of gangs in Barbados we are going to continue to have problems. The reality is that there are neighborhood wars, there are even wars at schools as well . . . . We have too much young people dying through violence that could be prevented if a couple things happen.

“There are known drug lords and gang leaders who need to be under observation so that we can eliminate some of these gang wars in communities. Unfortunately, innocent bystanders will get hurt in the midst and that is what is happening. We are saying to the police force to give the gang and gun unit a little bit more manpower and resources to go out there. We need to get rid of some of these blocks . . . get the young people a little bit more excited about the communities as opposed to sitting down pun a block talking a bunch of foolishness and smoking a bunch of weed.”

The chairman, who works with scores of young people annually through his counseling programme, also called on parents to pay closer attention to the type of activities their charges are involved in.

9 Responses to Crisis facing youth

1. Nicksie No Regrets Clarke
    Nicksie No Regrets Clarke July 17, 2014 at 10:08 am

He now realise this? Ƨ̷ŧǚpƶƶƶ

2. Edwards Swindley
    Edwards Swindley July 17, 2014 at 11:08 am

Did ” youth ” face a crisis one million years ago. Did youth face a crisis one thousand years ago. Did youth face a crisis fifty years ago. In reality, the definition of youth is to face a crisis. Both my grand parents both married at (16) sixteen. Do you think that was the first time they had sex.

What is wrong with prostitution, male or female. Scare tactics & scare words without meaning is used to make the speaker seem more informed than they are. THESE ARE WORDS WITHOUT MEANING.

3. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder July 17, 2014 at 12:36 pm

No crisis can’t make no person sell sex man or woman who y’all trying to fool these people enjoy that lifestyle….

4. Edwards Swindley
    Edwards Swindley July 17, 2014 at 12:45 pm

TANX NANCY, I ALSO AGREE WITH YOU ANGEL. MARRIAGE IS A CREATION OF THE STATE & IS NOT AN INDICATION OF MORALITY. I AM A LESBIAN BUT I DONT CARE WHO ANYONE. SLEEP WITH. I LOVE WOMEN, NUFF NUFF NUFF.

5. Daniel Polonis
    Daniel Polonis July 17, 2014 at 3:15 pm

I dont care about consenting adults…I do care about 13-14 year olds, engaging in sex for Jordans, smart phones or North face bags or a limo for the prom….and with Politicians and “community leaders” in exchange for favors. That is predatory and the worst type of criminal. PARENTS know where you kids are and who they interact with. I see way too many YOUNG children walking through town or at the side of the road after 6PM or when they should be in school.

6. Daniel Polonis
    Daniel Polonis July 17, 2014 at 3:15 pm

7. Edwards Swindley
    Edwards Swindley July 17, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Dany , I understand your position. We have a tendency to expect the world to stay static, that is our comfort zone. I had to be home by 4:00PM when I was in HS. I sent my son on a Mediterranean cruse alone when he was 16. Times change and we cannot keep our myopic views . You may be surprised to know that one can LEGALLY MARRY in most parts of the world @ 16.

8. Movement of Concerned Citizens
    Movement of Concerned Citizens July 17, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Where are the data to support these claims?