Prime Minister intervenes

Prime Minister Freundel Stuart has reportedly intervened in the prolonged dispute at the National Conservation Commission (NCC).

Veteran trade unionist and general secretary of the Barbados Workers Union (BWU) Sir Roy Trotman said he has learnt that the head of government has called a meeting tomorrow in an attempt to settle the dispute.

In a statement issued today, Sir Roy, who is recovering from an operation carried out two weeks ago to correct a problem in the upper part of his spine, said the dispute has been dragging on for too long, though progress has been made in some areas.

I believe an agreement is quite possible and I believe that if the parties are faithful to the Protocol Number Six, if they are faithful to the Employment Rights Legislation, and if they are faithful to our customs and practice of industrial relations in Barbados, then they ought not to be any reason why they should not be a resolution when the Prime Minister meets the parties,” he said.

“I am pleased to be able to see that, in some of those areas where we had earlier expressed publicly some concerns, as in parts of the banking industry, that social dialogue has been the order of the day and that the management of the banks and the leadership of the trade unions have been able to come closer together in an effort to reach accommodation in what have been a very difficult period for restructuring and rehabilitation.

We had a discussion and we still want to see reduced numbers but regarding the importance of redeeming as much of the economy as we can still remains paramount to us. For the matter of the NCC, we continue to insist that process, the manner in which things should be done is of vital importance, not only at the level of the NCC, but at the level of every other government agency, and at the level of every company within the private sector.”

Meantime, Sir Roy has thanked the staff of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for the “professional manner” in which they assisted in his earlier rehabilitation.

I am now continuing that exercise. I am doing the necessary therapy to help me to be able to re-establish my motor skills, as it were, and that is coming quite well. I think that everybody should continue their efforts to help me in this. Those who have been praying for me; those who have been expressing their good wishes; those who have just been there willing me on to do greater, I wish to express appreciation for all of this,” he said.

13 Responses to Prime Minister intervenes

1. Robert Holloway
    Robert Holloway May 24, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Good to hear

2. PhatKat Kalonji
    PhatKat Kalonji May 24, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Stupesssss

3. David E Hall
    David E Hall May 24, 2014 at 6:44 pm

This entire episodes smacks of scripted drama. What message will the PM bring to the discussion which he did not affirm at the recently held cabinet meting when the issue was brought to the cabinet by senator McLean. A meeting which i believe the PM himself chaired. How I wish DLP operatives would stop these silly games.

4. David E Hall
    David E Hall May 24, 2014 at 6:44 pm

This entire episodes smacks of scripted drama. What message will the PM bring which he did not affirm at the recently held cabinet meting when the issue was brought to the cabinet by senator McLean. A meeting which i believe the PM himself chaired. How I wish DLP operatives would stop these silly games.

5. Allan Headley
    Allan Headley May 24, 2014 at 6:53 pm

O My GOD DE PM WAKEUP .

6. David Hall May 24, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I can appreciate when the PM is called to intervene in a dispute between the Unions and the private sector, but am perplexed when the PM/Government, especially a DLP administration, has to intervene in a dispute between itself and the Union especially the BWU which seems to have an inordinate amount of DLP members in its executive. Especially since the matter reportedly went to cabinet only just last week.What kind of Games are we playing?

7. Max Carter
    Max Carter May 24, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Its alive

8. Sanderson Rowe May 24, 2014 at 11:00 pm

The first thing that the Prime Minister should do , if his intervention, is to be seen as honest, sincere and transparent, is to fire Dennis Lowe as a Cabinet Minister. Anything else is making sport of the NCC and other retrenched Government employees and Barbadians in general.

9. Veronica Straker
    Veronica Straker May 25, 2014 at 9:31 am

WoW this should be the front page of today’s Sunday Sun.

10. 'Randall King May 25, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Same movie, different channel.

11. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce May 25, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Wait, we wake up!

12. Frank Fowler
    Frank Fowler May 25, 2014 at 5:32 pm

You guys need to stop falling for this pre-planned foolishness to make the unions look like they are actually doing something for the laid off members. What is this next part going to solve? The normal procedures for dismissal weren’t followed – why, what else do you need to know?