Homophobia, and now its other side?

The University of the West Indies’ (UWI) dismissal yesterday of Professor Brendan Bain, head of the Caribbean HIV/AIDS Regional Training (CHART), on account of a biomedical opinion on men having sex with other men (MSM) and of the objection and lobbying by the LGBT community make for fascinating study.

Professor Bain, held as a pioneer in clinical infectious disease practice in the Caribbean and a leading medical authority on the HIV epidemic in the region, merely pointed out in a statement –– in the high-profile case in Belize, in which Caleb Orozco, a gay man, challenged the constitutionality of an 1861 law that criminalizes men having sex with men –– that the risk of contracting HIV was significantly higher among men who had sex with other men (MSM).

The professor said this was as true for Belize as for other countries, including those that had repealed the law that criminalises anal sex.

“The risk to MSM and their intimate sexual partners,” he explained, “is not just to their physical health. The adverse physical and physiological consequences of STIs (including HIV) in MSM create significant and avoidable financial costs to individuals, households and governments. These important considerations must be included when considering whether to give public approval to risky behaviours such as are often practised by MSM,” Professor Bain said in his expert testimony.

The LGBT groups were clearly not impressed; and it is anybody’s guess which offended more: the professional statement offered in August 2012,
or the fact that Professor Bain presumably spoke on the side of a group of churches seeking to retain said 1861 anti-gay law?

The professor’s controversial opinion has its genesis in the case in Belize where he gave expert testimony in a matter against gay Belizean Caleb Orozco. Orozco had challenged Section 53 of Belize’s criminal code that states “every person who has carnal intercourse against the order of nature with any person or animal shall be liable to imprisonment for ten years”, which, he has argued that, “violates his right to the recognition of human dignity, to personal privacy and the privacy of the home guaranteed by the Belize constitution”.

We are told that 30 or more advocacy groups had written to UWI vice-chancellor Professor E. Nigel Harris, following the contentious statement, expressing loss of confidence in Professor Bain as the head of CHART, and a wish for his removal. Their argument was that while they understood Professor Bain to have made it that clear that his written testimony, as an expert witness in the Belize case, was his entitled opinion, it was yet in conflict with his leadership of CHART.

The UWI is obviously in agreement, as in its statement of explanation for dismissal, it alluded to many authorities familiar with the brief presented believing the professor testimony “supported arguments for the retention of the law thereby contributing to the continued criminalization and stigmatization of MSM, which many public health experts believe violates their human rights and puts them at even higher risk of contracting HIV”.

The university said that while it recognized Professor Bain’s right to provide expert testimony in the manner he did, “it has become increasingly evident that he has lost the confidence and support of a significant sector of the community which the CHART programme is expected to reach, including the loss of his leadership status in PANCAP [Pan Caribbean Partnership Against AIDS], thereby undermining the ability of this programme to effectively deliver on its mandate”.

Professor Bain, who was the director of CHART since its inception, after his retirement from UWI in 2013, had been given a two-year post-retirement contract to continue in said director.

When this matter is stripped of the theatrics and semantics, some burning questions stare us in the face.

Will we have for a precedent the firing of a public or private official who offends or angers the LGBT community, even if statements made are in their best interests or others’?

Do the rights of the LGBTs supersede those of heterosexuals?

Are we not seeing glimpses of heterophobia?

We pass no judgement on Professor Bain’s observation of the incidence rate of HIV infections among men who have sex with men (MSM), nor the LGBTs’ variant position on it. Differences are a fallout of democracy. But is it not a folly to assume that the decriminalizing of MSM automatically leads to a reduction in infections more so than a rise?

More importantly, if the LGBT community will gain the greater tolerance and much less discrimination generally, it behoves them to be themselves more tolerant of differing views. The canvassing for the dismissals and destruction of people who “offend” them is extreme –– and unhealthy itself in this small space where we must all exist.

57 Responses to Homophobia, and now its other side?

1. Regina Worrell
    Regina Worrell May 21, 2014 at 10:15 pm

He needed to be fired. Kudos to uwi

• Ali Chanz May 22, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Yup!!!

2. Princess Tiny Neferua
    Princess Tiny Neferua May 21, 2014 at 10:32 pm

This is a Catch 22….a lot of wolves in sheep clothing…

3. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 3:11 am

Sharon Woolley ur always the first to trow a stone when its some one u don’t like funny u have a change of heart on this subject I see ur two face…

• Fraser Young
      Fraser Young May 22, 2014 at 6:59 am

I would suggest that maybe u look at some scientific texts to realise the difference between gene traits and learned behavior. Your assumption that being gay is learned behavior is factually wrong. Many animals on our planet have same sex pairs. remember its Gods job to judge not u. Hating someone because they are gay is the same as hating someone because the colour of their skin. You need to evolve your thinking a bit

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley May 22, 2014 at 11:38 am

Angel of Thunder I am not some ignorant fool that condemns all gays to hell, because God supposedly hates gays,! people that think this are living in the dark ages, people really need educating and see that no matter what your sexuality, no matter what your skin colour we ALL have red blood and are human, treat each person the way you would hope to be treated…………..whats two faced about that ?????????????????????

4. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 3:14 am

People love a well dress lie then the naked truth,I’m done this subject once an for all first time this was ever speak by a human remember this till the end…

5. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 3:18 am

• Sharon Woolley
      Sharon Woolley May 22, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Did you have any education or did you spend all your time with your head in the clouds or buried in the sand

6. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 3:19 am

Stop this great sin y’all will burn……

7. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 3:22 am

It took a man an a woman to create a human,go against that u gone against nature..

8. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 3:25 am

Look I’m all for the female I don’t mix,ur gay but sex female an male ur not gay,if u was gay u wouldnt mix u would die gay no off springs,because ur gay,ur confused because u cant have a gay baby impossible…

• Mac10 May 22, 2014 at 1:10 pm

@Angel of Thunder. can you repost please but with subtitles this time!!!

9. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 3:29 am

Humans can’t live with out each other u need both…

10. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 3:31 am

No one is born gay,just like no one is born racist impossible,its a teaching its a idea its a religion beauty y’all don’t want too really hear the naked truth…

11. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 3:36 am

An I need no bibliography its common common sense reality…

12. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 3:40 am

Something schools never teach they need a subject on common sense a subject that was most important to man I laugh at ur brainwashing all this time all that spend on college an still no common sense y’all really backwards af..

13. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 3:45 am

If u let gays have rights then smoking weed is a small thing u would have to rewrite all ur laws humans or hypocrites very big hypocrites an its common sense an a reality..

14. Fraser Young
    Fraser Young May 22, 2014 at 7:08 am

Do any of the many homophobics in this thread even know any homosexuals, have u taken the time to meet any of their community before judging? I would first say that its not your job to judge, especially if you are using the bible as the basis for your argument( only god can judge). Secondly being born gay or lesbian is just that , something that you are born with. It is not good, it is not bad, it is akin to being born with a certain color of eyes or skin. Why is it that the people who seem to promote the love of god can also promote the hate of others. EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL!!!!!

• Michael Ess
      Michael Ess May 22, 2014 at 7:52 am

I know plenty of them. Not “well” mind you, but we’re on civil terms, and I must say, they’re friendly, outgoing people, with no major difference to heterosexuals.But does this suddenly mean I am on board with homosexual relationships ? NOPE. There are a bunch of people in society who I’ve been on friendly terms with, but who engaged in things I frowned upon or disagreed with. Just because I can be friendly with someone means I should suddenly jump ship and join their party ? no.

15. Daniel Polonis
    Daniel Polonis May 22, 2014 at 7:39 am

So is the church also standing by the law that slavery is ok as well? you cant pick and choose. Whatever you sexuality is its just that what you do in private is your business…its the individuals who sneak about acting straight meanwhile they soliciting sex from other men or even worse boys or young girls for the price of a new pair of shoes or a other “thing”. thats where the focus should be. Epidemics break out more so through these closet homosexuals or those just getting their “kicks” while in public shaking their fists at homosexuals just trying to get the same rights as everyone else. As far as the “church” They are the biggest frauds out there.

16. Olutoye Walrond May 22, 2014 at 8:12 am

Reading these blogs is like trying to understand what a French or Spanish-speaking person is trying to say in English. My Lord!

17. Stephen D Stewart
    Stephen D Stewart May 22, 2014 at 8:50 am

All these holier than thou people…..if you don’t do as I say you will burn in hell….because it says so in the Bible….FFS…I could make friends with a gay person ….but I really hate that religious crowd ….they make my skin crawl….

18. Stephen D Stewart
    Stephen D Stewart May 22, 2014 at 8:50 am

19. Oneal Ward
    Oneal Ward May 22, 2014 at 8:53 am

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Homosexuals have been treated badly for years and now that the tables are turning for them, they’re simply returning the favor.

Newton’s law right?

20. Matthew Trotman
    Matthew Trotman May 22, 2014 at 9:04 am

Forget religion or your stance on homosexuality, he spoke from a biomedical position… if the facts he found is the reason behind his statement, then he should not have been fired. He seems to be speaking from scientific research and not using religion, if they didn’t like it, he should have to choice to retract the statement or back it up with facts. Everyone should have rights, but this will not be good for the LGBT since it shows the same intolerance they so valiantly fought against

21. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 10:33 am

I’m looking at the reply nothing I see no substance…

22. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 10:36 am

Knowledge push lies an corruptions away an when people or wrong they will not say they or so I pound them to the ground with truth,when I speak earthquakes….

23. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 10:38 am

Humans or easy too know if they have truth,humans will die because of pride an feelings not because they or standing on truth…

24. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 10:41 am

Many will say lord have I not done this that in ur name,an the lord will say depart u worker of evil…

25. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 10:42 am

U can be save from sin or die in it ur choice…

26. Mac10 May 22, 2014 at 10:42 am

@Olutoye Walrond.

I totally agree, subtitles are often required & Angel of Thunder would appear to be todays worst offender.

Incidentally AoF, you are born gay & straight people have them so please stop with your homophobic hatred. An opinion is one thing, prejudice is something very different & ugly.

27. Mac10 May 22, 2014 at 10:54 am

UWI was right to fire him. CHART is an organisation that advocates for the LGBT community. If its head issues comments (within his rights to) that are recommending the continuance of the oppression & persecution of the LGBT community then he forfeits his right to be the head of CHART. It is not a witch hunt, it is simply the correct course of action.

If you work for any organisation you should agree with the principles of that organisation, if your views are at odds with the stated aims, then you should to be there.

Quote from Angel of Thunder:

“Ur gay OK take all gay men put all them gay men one place just the men no females just men,then take all gay women do the same how will u get gay children???.

That is just beyond ignorance, The Nazi’s tried something similar during World War 2 which was appalling then & anything like it now is equally appalling.

28. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 12:11 pm

OK Sharon Woolley wow I would love to sit right next to u an look u dead in ur eyes after u said that ur two face don’t forget I always remember what people say u wasn’t saying this b4 …

29. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I hate people that change just to look good to others but or a devil on the inside ….

30. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Don’t think I just sit at this PC I would go on CBC because I have the truth I’m bold not like u that hide behind ur mask….

31. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 12:23 pm

To be gay is a idea to be racist is a idea etc…

32. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Its not truth its a concept ..

33. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 12:26 pm

When slavery was young in the Caribbean black people didn’t know or practice this idea its a white Caucasian idea…

34. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 12:31 pm

If wanna want to get deep not mediocre …

35. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Lol classical u know nothing about me lady but I can tell u all about ur life…

36. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Gay is a white people concept blacks or just copy cats…

37. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I bet u love ur dog in the pic more then some these black people u probably the kind of bajan white that drive around all day with ur dog in the car but would past a black person in need people like u live in ur house an play Christian….

38. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I don’t hide behind my PC I too bold for that I’m ready to sit on any panel an talk just as I do I’m ready for people like u fully ready..

39. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I love when people think they real educated ur so easy to show up…

40. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 1:19 pm

U don’t know what I know believe u me,its more then u would ever dream of,I live by divine laws something u probably u n got a clue of..

41. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Having $$$$$ don’t mean ur smart or have the truth,it just mean u can remember the books u read I’m living it out every day I see people for who an what they really or I paint no other picture then the one I see,in other words I call it as it is…

42. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder May 22, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Watch what u say because them same words can come back an bite u hard where it hurts..

43. Wizzie Sealy-inniss
    Wizzie Sealy-inniss May 22, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Man can only destroy the body ,but not the soul. I want all of us to know that God has the final say. No longer does truth have respect over lies, no longer does respect carry the same meaning. I will never pass judgment on any one, but the word of God said that a man woman shall be known but its fruit. If I created a plane to fly how can you come and tell that THE PLANE WAS CREATED TO DRIVE ON THE STREET. I have family members and friends that are gay and we are very close and get along well, I don’t believe that their life style is what God created them for. So just because I don’t believe that is right in God sight makes me homophobia ? or a judge of some one ? If you answer is yes that make you guilty too, because it mean that you are judging me. Every one has a choice to do what ever pleases them, but all of us has to give an account of our time on earth and we will be awarded accordingly . curse call me what ever you all feel to call me, but it will not move me. No President, Queen, Anti-Christ or any Nation can get me to bow to Demonic pressure . I will make it know her I love every person in this world I don’t single certain groups and point my finger at them, but all of us that are sinning will be held accountable before God.

44. Bentley Williams
    Bentley Williams May 22, 2014 at 10:21 pm
  45. Olutoye Walrond May 23, 2014 at 9:49 am

I am really curious about this notion that homosexuality is an “idea” comparable to racism. So how do you choose this thing. Do you wake up one morning at age 18 and say: ‘today I am choosing boys/girls as my sexual preference’ – just like you choose what you are wearing to work?

And did heterosexual persons make this decision in the same way as well? If so, then they, too, can choose to be homosexual if they so desire. Phew!!!!

46. David Hall May 23, 2014 at 6:25 pm

The is indeed the other side of Homophobia. A man must not be ostracized for his personal opinion no more than he should be ostracized for the color of his skin. We are hypocritical when we say that as professionals white judges can put prejudices aside and rule cases or prejudice based on the facts, and that politicians can rule a country without victimizing opposing party affiliates: but in this case a pioneer and a professional who has brought this project to its current state is unable to offer a professional opinion and remain neutral. Supreme folly. The man should not have lost his job.