Marching on

Soldiers not taking any ‘prisoners’

Leaders Barbados Defence Force Sports Programme (BDFSP) defeated second-placed Gall Hill in a top of the table clash when the Digicel-sponsored Barbados Football Association’s Premier League continued at the Empire Club Ground, Bank Hall, last night.

Playing in the nightcap game, the defending champions earned a well deserved 2-1 victory over Gall Hill in a keenly contested battle.  This season the soldiers and the Christ Church-based team  have played two keenly contested matches on the two previous occasions they have met in the league and the knockout competition.

Last weekend they played an exhausting match in the KFC Knockout Competition that lasted for two hours and included over 25 penalty kicks.

The BDFSP have been playing a cat and mouse game with their opponents for most of the season. The soldiers have been starting slowly and turning on the pressure as the opposing teams lose steam in the latter part of their games while the Paragon-based team seem to get stronger.

Last night, Gall Hill appeared determined to blunt this strategy. Their midfield led by Kadeem Latham penetrated the BDFSP’s defence on several  occasions and it was clear to most of the spectators at the historic ground that it was just a matter of time before they scored.

The game was 20 minutes old when Latham for the umpteenth time penetrated BDFSP’s defence and skillfully dribbled past two defenders and tapped the ball into goalkeeper Dario Weir’s nets.

BDFSP immediately launched a counter-attack with Romarion Harewood and Shaquille Stewart dominating the midfield and going deep into Gall Hill’s half.

It was this combination that scored the equalizer for the BDFSP.  In the 32nd minute Harewood kicked the ball high across the Gall Hill goal bars and  found Stewart waiting to head it into the nets.

The scores were locked 1-1 at the half. After play resumed both teams seemed intent on breaking the deadlock and the fans were treated to several outstanding displays of dribbling skills by the players. But that vital goal kept eluding the strikers until the 74th minute when Stewart  made a solo run inside Gall Hill’s half and beat Omari Eastmond to give the BDFSP their second goal and a 2-1 victory.

In the second game Mackeson Britton Hill showed for the second time they were more potent than Magnum Tonic Wine Dayrell’s Road with a 6-0 whipping over their neighbours.

Zidkigah Samuels started the onslaught with a penalty in the 20th minute and another goal in the 60th minute. Mustafa Haqq, Travis Coppin, Jermaine Forde and Louis Walton also scored in the 48th, 50th and 88th minutes respectively.

In the opening game, Weymouth Wales defeated Pharmaceutical Plus Comos 2-0.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *