Lashley: Leave my wife out of the fray

Leave my wife out of it!

Stephen Lashley
Stephen Lashley

Those were the words of Minister of Culture Stephen Lashley to Leader of the Opposition Mia Mottley this afternoon in response to her recent criticism of their trip to the People’s Republic of China.

Mottley had questioned the necessity and funding of the trip by the 11-member delegation at a time when Government is laying off workers to rein in spending.

But in an uncharacteristic display in the House of Assembly today, Lashley said he “had a bone to pick” with Mottley, whom he accused of continually launching “broadside attacks on the women of Barbados”, among them the labour minister over her current overseas trip.

“Myself along with officers of the Ministry of Culture and a delegation were invited on an official visit to the People’s Republic of China and that mission was in furtherance of the need to enhance and deepen cultural relations between the People’s Republic of China and the Government of Barbados. That official visit included an invitation to my wife as well. The Government of Barbados was not called upon to finance my trip, the trip of my wife or the trip of the permanent secretary in the Ministry of culture,” he said.

“The Leader of the Opposition mentioned my wife in that,”he said irately.

“I don’t know why she did because . . . the Minister of Culture has public responsibilities and therefore if the Leader of the Opposition wanted to criticise the Minister of Culture for accepting an invitation to travel at the expense of the people of the government of China then do that but I have a problem with the Leader of the Opposition bringing my wife into the fray.”

Lashely added that he would never launch an attack on the spouse of the Leader of the Opposition because it is not his style.

During Lashley’s contribution, an Opposition member quickly rose to point out that she did not hear Mottley insult any woman during the debate.

However, the Speaker said he was in the House all day as well and allowed Minister Lashley to continue his statements.

Another Opposition member, Edmund Hinkson, said he was shocked and disappointed with Lashley’s statements in light of the quality of his regular contributions.

10 Responses to Lashley: Leave my wife out of the fray

1. Frederick Alleyne
    Frederick Alleyne May 14, 2014 at 6:36 am

The Leader of the Opposition is a member of Parliament and like all Barbadians she has a right to know how our money is spent. Therefore, if the trip to China was paid for by the Chinese government, that fact should be stated for all the people of Barbados to know well before hand. That is how we avoid certain questions. Remember accountability and transparency.

2. Mhizz Joan Moore
    Mhizz Joan Moore May 14, 2014 at 7:47 am

leave the man wife, she aint interested 😛

3. Suzette Lashley
    Suzette Lashley May 14, 2014 at 8:56 am

There was absolutely no need for her attack, totally uncalled for. Before you make public statements like that, you should first get the facts. I actually believe that she should apologize to the Minister.

• Frederick Alleyne
      Frederick Alleyne May 14, 2014 at 10:23 am

Did you listen to the debate in the House of Assembly yesterday?

• Adrian M Chase
      Adrian M Chase May 14, 2014 at 12:54 pm

This is nothing that the same LOTO haven’t done before. She took a huge delegation of friends to China before….six is truly half dozen with these jokers.

• Adrian M Chase
      Adrian M Chase May 14, 2014 at 12:54 pm

4. Ronald Hazell
    Ronald Hazell May 14, 2014 at 9:43 am

What was the attack from what I just read no one heard her attacking the Minister wife

5. Greitcha Smith
    Greitcha Smith May 14, 2014 at 11:30 am

I am sure the Leader of the Opposition knew very well who paid for the trip. People in glasses houses should learn not to throw stones …!

6. Colthrust August 12, 2014 at 10:32 pm

I think the leader of the opposition has a right to ask questions on anything especially when it relates to the spending of taxpayers money even if it was just the cost of per dimes- these people are living high off the hog while poor mothers are sent home with no way of knowing where the next meal is coming from for their children-I don’t think no apology is necessary as she did not attack his wife-if they start being transparent there would be no need for questions-ms Mottley,continue to expose their wrong doings and be fearless, we the majority will support you as these idiots need to go!