Elderly man perishes in fire

An early morning fire has claimed the life of a 90-year-old man from Cane Vale, Christ Church.

Police say Goldburne Callender perished in the blaze that occurred around midnight in the concrete house where he lived with nine other persons, three of them children.

Callender was an amputee and wheel-chair bound.

Members of the Barbados Fire Service, led by Acting Chief Fire Officer Errol Maynard, along with three fire tenders battled the blaze, which caused extensive damage to the house.

Lawmen say it is not clear what caused the fire.

9 Responses to Elderly man perishes in fire

1. Joceline Blackett
    Joceline Blackett March 31, 2014 at 7:44 am

This is so, so sad. May his soul rest in peace.

2. TamStar Watson
    TamStar Watson March 31, 2014 at 7:53 am

Wdh this is so sad may his soul R.I.P but I mean to a dem couldn’t lift him up n bring him out ? Idk I really don’t .unless the fire started in his room and by the time they realized he was already burn up sighhhhh

3. TamStar Watson
    TamStar Watson March 31, 2014 at 7:53 am

4. Petra Gooding
    Petra Gooding March 31, 2014 at 8:06 am

So sad. They did try to save him but the heat and smoke kept them from doing that. Don’t judge if you haven’t been in a similar situation. It is hard enough knowing that a loved one was lost in a fire without having to deal with all the self righteous comments.

5. Petra Gooding
    Petra Gooding March 31, 2014 at 8:06 am

6. Conchita Moseley
    Conchita Moseley March 31, 2014 at 8:24 am

HOW SAD…..WHAT AN AWFUL WAY TO GO. R I.P. SURELY WITH SO MAY ABLE PEOPLE HE COULD HAVE BEEN MOVED TO SAFETY.. CHA IT NOT LIKE HE WAS ON A FIFTH FLOOR.OR LIVING IN A BLOCK OF FLATS.

7. Ryan Bayne
    Ryan Bayne March 31, 2014 at 9:03 am

Dear Lord, it hurts for me to read something like this but my condolences must go out to the elderly man’s family.

8. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce March 31, 2014 at 11:12 am

Very sad.

9. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley March 31, 2014 at 1:24 pm

So sad for this elderly gentleman, and what a horrible way to die