David Thompson tournament escapes chopping block

Minister of Constituency Empowerment and Community Development, Steve Blackett.
Minister of Constituency Empowerment and Community Development, Steve Blackett.

The David Thompson Memorial Constituency Councils Football Classic will continue for another year despite the financial problems facing Government.

Minister of Constituency Empowerment and Community Development Steve Blackett said money has been secured for the tournament that was previously in jeopardy due to a decline in funding.

He made the announcement this evening at the biannual town hall meeting of the St Michael South Constituency Council held at Graydon Sealy Secondary School.

In making a case for the continuation of the tournament, the minister said it has helped to “rejuvenate and reunite” communities across Barbados.

The councils have been affected in some ways, of course, by the lack of financing in some regards….some of the financing has been dedicated to the David Thompson Constituency Council Football Tournament but I want to announce that we have found a way in the next financial year to finance and fund this tournament and of course leave most of the funding with you (constituency councils) so you can pursue your individual projects in your communities,” he told the meeting.

The council reported that it spent just over $40,000 on the tournament between April 2011 and December 2013.

Minister Blackett said the National Senior Games, to be held over two days, would also be repositioned and would now be planned and executed by the Department of Constituency Empowerment.

He said Cabinet has given the nod for the games to be recognised as a national event.

On the performance of the councils, the minister said there have been some challenges as a result of the failure to establish protocols with other ministries and departments.

He also disclosed that amendments would also be made to the Constituency Councils Act to improve the administration of the bodies.

 

6 Responses to David Thompson tournament escapes chopping block

  1. Prince Nick
    Prince Nick March 22, 2014 at 10:06 pm

    Sentiments outlined in above post

    Reply
  2. Antonio A Antonio
    Antonio A Antonio March 22, 2014 at 10:22 pm

    YET YOU ALL CANT DROP A FOOTBALL TOURNAMENT FOR A MAN THAT NEVER PLAYED FOR NO TEAM IN HIS LIFE I MEAN EVEN IF YOU HAVE A CONCERT TO REMEMBER HIM BUT TO SAY YOU ALL CUTTING BACK AND CANT STOP THIS? SEND HOME 2 PERSONS FROM ONE HOUSE HOLD BUT HAVE MONEY FOR FOOTBALL

    Reply
  3. Fabian Dottin
    Fabian Dottin March 22, 2014 at 11:05 pm

    well well well but no medicine in d hospital

    Reply
  4. Harriett March 23, 2014 at 12:15 am

    The Constituency Councils should be disbanded at this time. They are ineffective and an ineffective use of Government’s (tax payers) resources.

    The Football Competition should also be discontinued at this time. Why is it that everyone else has to tighten their belts except Government and it’s self serving programmes?

    Government should demonstrate that there are serious about turning the economy around.

    Reply
  5. Fiona Waldron March 23, 2014 at 7:10 am

    Those 3,000 workers going home can now look forward to assistance from the constituency council, superb entertainment in the form of football matches and perhaps make a start on increasing our population to 325,000. This Administration is taking our country to hell in a hand basket. When will we Barbadians decide that enough is enough……

    Reply
  6. Kay Martin
    Kay Martin March 23, 2014 at 7:18 am

    Are these folk serious?

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *