Sandals chairman rebuffs hotelier

One of this country’s most outspoken small hoteliers was rebuffed today by the chairman of Sandals Group, Gordon “Butch” Stewart during the monthly business luncheon of the Barbados Chamber of Commerce and Industry at Hilton Barbados Resort.

Photo of Sandals group chairman, Gordon ‘Butch’ Stewart

It happened during the question and answer segment, when joint owner of Peach and Quiet Hotel, Adrian Loveridge asked: “Most of your revenues is collected offshore. When we [Loveridge] stayed there [a Sandals hotel] in December, we paid through credit card through your subsidiary in the United States. When do you decide what proportion comes back to Barbados?”

“You know, I consider that an impertinent question. I don’t think a colleague hotelier should ask a question like that. I have a hotel resort [reputation] that is so long and strong. I think you are out of order,” retorted Stewart, to loud applause from the business leaders present.

Loveridge immediately left the room and disappeared.

He had earlier asked two other questions, even though the host made it clear only one question per person. Those questions were considered inorder and were politely answered.

15 Responses to Sandals chairman rebuffs hotelier

1. John A Watson
    John A Watson February 26, 2014 at 11:23 pm

I dont know the manner in which this question was asked. But I think it was a very relevant question. I would have to believe that those “applauding” Mr Stewart were not Barbadians. That yopu can benefit from such generous concessions and not account for income earned in Barbados is , to me , unacceptable. … Very Good question Adrian

2. Ian Williams
    Ian Williams February 26, 2014 at 11:45 pm

He was out of order and pass him damn place. Sandals is running a business not a charity. If the locals don’t want them in Barbados block the roads and protest don’t hide behind the mike and the media. How many multinational companies retain all/most of there revenues/income in Barbados? Name them please.

3. Frederick Alleyne
    Frederick Alleyne February 27, 2014 at 5:03 am

The question was a good one and one that the government of Barbados should have dealt with up front. Build a hotel for Sandals and give them massive concessions also. Brilliant. No wonder we are at the bottom of all global standards.

4. Wayne Norville
    Wayne Norville February 27, 2014 at 7:21 am

Mr. Loveridge I knew how you used to oppose the last Government and I know you thought you were going to get a better on e with this crew but you know what you have, you don’t know what you will get. Butch Stewart should not be even welcome to Barbados again after what he did with Paradise Beach Club. The others in the room are just like him, they showed they colours yesterday.

5. Adrian Loveridge
    Adrian Loveridge February 27, 2014 at 8:23 am

Thank you Senator, I fully support the arrival of Sandals and eventually Beaches, or I would not have spent my hard earned money at Mr.Stewart’s hotel recently, but there has to be some accountability. Yes! its great to see they are spending money locally, but has anyone related that local spend to the number of guests? If the figures quoted are correct it’s about BDS$9 per guest per day, based on 85 per cent quoted occupancy. When you are selling an all-inclusive room at a minimum US$500 plus per night, is that local spend adequate. I thought Mr Stewart’s response was sad. He has got everything asked for, why withhold information every taxpayer has a right to know.

• Nick Brett
      Nick Brett February 27, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Adrian – just curious how are you arriving at that BDS$9 pppd figure?

• Nick Brett
      Nick Brett February 27, 2014 at 12:14 pm

seems incredibly low!

• Adrian Loveridge
      Adrian Loveridge February 27, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Nick, 280 rooms x 2 persons x 7 night (average stay) over 16 weeks (8,960) = $10.33 per person per day. At a more realistic 85 per per cent (7,616) it would be $12.15 per PERSON per DAY. I had allowed a certain VAT level to reach a net figure of $9 plus pppd, as I could not see the practicality of getting everything VAT free from smaller suppliers. ‘$648,000 with local manufacturers and farmers’

• Nick Brett
      Nick Brett February 27, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Thanks Adrian but if the $2.1m since November figure is accurate. Wouldn’t that make it 7,616/$2.1m = $276pppd?

• Adrian Loveridge
      Adrian Loveridge February 27, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Nick, thats why I highlighted ‘$648,000 with local manufacturers and farmers’. That is the figure I am quoting on. The $2.1 million presumably if for all spending.

• Adrian Loveridge
      Adrian Loveridge February 27, 2014 at 2:53 pm

should read IS for all spending.

6. Rachel Gibbs
    Rachel Gibbs February 27, 2014 at 8:27 am

so this Butch guy is the darth vader killing barbados…. along with all the other storm troopers in the room…

7. Lisa Niles February 28, 2014 at 10:36 am

I don’t understand why this questions was considered ‘impertinent’ and why the retort by Sandals’ chairman met with applause from the attendees at the meeting! when will we see past being ‘yard fowls’ and look to support those who dare to advocate for this sector?

8. clymer wiring diagrams honda July 9, 2017 at 5:20 pm

Thanks for one’s marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.
    I will make certain to bookmark your blog and
    will come back in the foreseeable future. I want to encourage that you continue your great
    writing, have a nice day!

9. www.eautofsm.com July 10, 2017 at 12:31 pm

This is my first time visit at here and i am in fact happy to read all at single place.