Sandy Lane robbery fraud

Acting Commissioner of Police Tyrone Griffith has confirmed that charges will soon be laid against two people who allegedly lied about $35 million in jewellery and cash being stolen from a residence in the Sandy Lane, St James community.

In our 12 pm news update, Barbados TODAY reported that two non-nationals – a man and a woman – were being questioned on the matter and fraud charges are expected soon, after police discovered that they had faked the crime.

At a hastily called press conference this afternoon, Griffith told reporters that the duo had reported that a gold Rolex watch valued at $17,000, one iPad valued at $950, a second iPad valued at $1200, an engagement ring valued at $12.8 million, a platinum necklace valued at $3.2 million, a Cartier platinum ladies watch valued at $19.2 million and $2,000 in cash were stolen.

However, after receiving “certain information”, investigators yesterday reinterviewed the alleged victims who recanted their stories and subsequently handed over the iPads and Rolex watch which they claimed had been stolen.

The police chief said the alleged robbery had created panic in the Sandy Lane and neighbouring communities.

Police had reported that two armed men, wearing masks, robbed the private residence. Lawmen had even provided pictures of the items – provided by the alleged victims – that were said to have been taken.

 

One Response to Sandy Lane robbery fraud

  1. Adrian Hinds February 13, 2014 at 4:18 pm

    Don’t you just love modern Barbados?

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *