I am not committing suicide, says Stuart

Prime Minister Freundel Stuart has a message for his detractors and other commentators: he is not committing political suicide.

“I do not even hear my critics; so I don’t know what to respond to,” he told a meeting of the Democratic Labour Party’s St Andrew Branch at the Alleyne School yesterday evening.

“I know what the programme of the Democratic Labour Party is, and I know where we are going. I know where we have come from, I know where we are. That is what I preoccupy myself with from day to day; not listening to political nuisances who only want noticing, as the old people of Barbados like to say. I have no time with that.

“Hearing and seeing are forms of consumption in the same way that eating is a form of consumption . . . . I contend that if you know you [are going to] hear foolishness, you shouldn’t listen to it either, especially if it is heavily tinged with malice. So I choose very carefully what I allow to go through here and what I allow these to see,” Stuart said, while pointing to his ears and eyes.

His response comes amidst criticism from some sections of society of his silence on a number of issues affecting the country.

The Prime Minister went on: “If you listen to the wrong thing or see the wrong thing, it becomes a part of you for the remainder of your life. You can’t [get] rid of it. It contaminates you for the remainder of your life; so you have to be very careful what you see and what you hear. I know where all these things can be found and where they come from . . . I don’t go consuming things that I know will contaminate me.

“Homicide is an offence under the laws of Barbados, if it is committed without legal justification or excuse. Suicide is a personal choice; and I am not committing suicide,” Prime Minister Stuart quipped.

15 Responses to I am not committing suicide, says Stuart

1. PhatKat Kalonji
    PhatKat Kalonji February 10, 2014 at 10:31 pm

ya doan hear ur countrymen either

2. David Bowen
    David Bowen February 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm

If not suicide then it must be political and economic murder

3. Ryan Bayne
    Ryan Bayne February 10, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Mr. Prime Minister, you need to check yourself before you wreck yourself or as you put it, commit political suicide. It’s only obvious you cannot hear or see other countries progressing slowly but surely especially Trinidad. We as a nation cannot afford to stay down forever and put the blame on the worldwide recession. We must rise up from the ashes, dust ourselves off and start all over again. That’s why the Opposition Barbados Labour Party is putting down a serious fight every time because the breadwinners of this land are totally fed up with your stubbornness and the constant dodging of bullets when adversity arises. One day coming soon, as Gabby would say, when you must see the error of your ways. One thing before I go, in terms of what Reverend Joseph Atherley said about the church sleeping with your Government, Do not throw stones while living in glass houses. I thank you.

4. Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks
    Cheryl Alleyne-Brooks February 10, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Words Words Barbados politics songing real real bad

5. Alx Edg
    Alx Edg February 10, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Agreed PM!! Take CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and ignore the CRITICS!!

6. Julia Whitehall
    Julia Whitehall February 11, 2014 at 12:37 am

Whenever you only want people who say positive things around you then you know you have a problem with being criticized.Sometimes the best ideas come from the people you regard as your critics The prime minister needs to realize that he is head of a whole country and not only the people who voted for him so critics come with the territory. With power comes alot of things and criticism is one. Anytime a person is working in a position and feels that no one should question them they are in the wrong profession.

7. Steve Jemmott
    Steve Jemmott February 11, 2014 at 2:15 am

“better a living dog (pit bull) than a dead lion”….lol

8. Steve Jemmott
    Steve Jemmott February 11, 2014 at 2:15 am

“better a living dog (pit bull) than a dead lion”….lol

9. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce February 11, 2014 at 3:46 am

Ye who fight and run away live to fight another day. Do the honourable for the citizens and Bim step down,resign, abdicate, remove yourself we will understand and respect that it was not your fault the citizens misunderstood and voted for a sleeping partner and they now catch themselves.

10. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce February 11, 2014 at 3:46 am

11. Ian Matic Gale
    Ian Matic Gale February 11, 2014 at 10:13 am

De PM seems to have communistic ideas.. sounding very dictatorial.. so basically no one should criticize or oppose u? STFU

12. Ian Matic Gale
    Ian Matic Gale February 11, 2014 at 10:13 am

13. lynda February 11, 2014 at 10:36 am

well well.would any right thinking Barbadian agree with the filt that comes from the head of this country???im utterly shock, taxpayers scrunting to make ends meet, and this id…t would stand there to call people nuisances. if right thinking people voice their disagreement with the direction barbados is going..you are deemed nuisance….smmmmh.he dont have the time to listen???????i beg your pardon..how the hell he get that position?

14. Angela Maria
    Angela Maria February 11, 2014 at 6:25 pm

*scratching my head and thinking: I must be duncey because I thought he had committed it already….*