Govt to create 2,000 jobs

As Government prepares to send home 3,000 people from the public sector by March, Cabinet has just approved a strategic plan to create 2,000 new jobs in the international business and financial services arena.

Attorney General Adriel Brathwaite told the first business luncheon of the Barbados International Business Association for 2014 at Hilton Barbados Resort this afternoon, the new employment will come on stream as part of a five year plan for the sector.

“Cabinet has just agreed a new five-year strategic plan. Over the next five years, we intend to accomplish the following: we intend to achieve a 40 per cent increase in foreign exchange earnings from your sector; we intend to achieve a 40 per cent increase in revenue from corporate and personal income tax; we intend, with the help of yourselves and your sector, to create 2,000 new jobs,” Brathwaite announced.

He said, too, that the plan proposes the registration of 2,000 new corporate entities.

“I believe we should be aiming for between 2,500 and 3,000, given that we did 474 last year and 433 the previous year, 2012 and about 500 odd in 2011; but I assume that the ministry had decided to be cautious in their expectations,” added the Attorney General.

The plan also provides for 50 new foundations and private trust companies.

“I have had dialogue with the registrar of companies in Anguilla in terms of their experience, with respect to foundations and I see no reason why we cannot and should [not] be able to attain, if not surpass this target,” he pointed out.

Over the next five years, the Government also projects the conclusion of 20 new double taxation agreements and 15 agreements for tax treaties. The Intellectual Property Office will also be provided with a “first class” IT platform to eliminate paper and increase efficiency.

“Already you can electronically conduct file searches, reserve names, request files for inspection, arrange certification, notorisation . . .” Brathwaite informed the gathering of business leaders.

Service providers will also be encouraged and supplied with varied expertise, he continued. The attorney general disclosed, as well, that further investment and possible job opportunities will result from current negotiations for DTAs with 29 countries around the world.

“We are very optimistic and we do have 29 countries that we are targeting. We are hoping, that in fact, that we can bring them to fruition within the shortest possible time.”

The cabinet minister also revealed that the plan is develop Barbados as a centre for medical and educational services, with one medical school already established here and growing.

“And I’m aware of an enquiry to established an internationally accredited and recognised boarding school,” he added. Brathwaite, who is also minister of home affairs, announced that the existing medical school here was now looking for new premises and alternative accommodation for 60 people, which he suggested, translates into regular income for locals with rental space. Other plans call for the development of Barbados as a wealth management centre, a place for more private banks, a hub for investment from Canada and South America and a domicile for the relocation of headquarters.

19 Responses to Govt to create 2,000 jobs

1. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder January 30, 2014 at 9:43 am

Maria Leclair Rose Dasilva I smell a rat Y government lying off to create jobs,I just don’t get it at all,Y not rotations of jobs its less stresses but u just come out an say u sendin home 3000+ works is not very smart of government,that’s Y I try to work for my self….

2. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder January 30, 2014 at 9:50 am

Even if u was my boss an u tell me things hard with $$$$ to pay ur works but I have some plans in mind for the goin forward of the business better in the soon future I wouldnt mind,even if he came to me an say can u stay home for a little time till I get my business back up an running better,No problem boss I can fine something to do in the mean time,there’s better ways of doin things but to act as if people ain’t no body is a evil act against them….

3. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder January 30, 2014 at 10:30 am

Leah Husbands it said government in the head line???some one is a rat,stop misleading the minds of bajanz having a job is life an death Y government would want to play games like that…..

4. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder January 30, 2014 at 10:33 am

People need honesty about work an $$$$$ for they works…..

5. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder January 30, 2014 at 10:37 am

Its peoples lives we talking about here if that doesn’t make u move fast on ur actions about this country then its doom as MPs play lottery/monopoly with our lives …

6. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder January 30, 2014 at 10:41 am

But Leah Husbands if every body spelling bread people will not buy bread an bread wouldnt sell any more u would have to buy ur own bread,so government need to put better structure in place for the growing businesses to come to boost the country economy……

7. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder January 30, 2014 at 10:44 am

BIM will change the world remember My words said today Y because we are a special kind of breed I swear to GOD…….

8. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder January 30, 2014 at 10:46 am

Poverty IS MAN MADE JUST SO U KNOW?.????…….

9. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder January 30, 2014 at 10:47 am

It can go away…… ..

10. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder January 30, 2014 at 10:47 am

Its made because of greed… .

11. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder January 30, 2014 at 10:53 am

I just said bread because I wanted u to tell me what u really thinking,but Leah Husbands u know that the problem in BIM people do what others doin,when they should be doin opposite form other business around them bajanz or like that I see it alot,were I live 6 to 7 shops selling all most the samething’s its funny to me cause if I had the $$$$$$ they would close down an have to start all over with some other Idea for a new business…..

12. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder January 30, 2014 at 11:01 am

People in BIM try to compete with other humans instead of competition in business I see it all the time… .

13. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder January 30, 2014 at 11:01 am

14. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder January 30, 2014 at 11:02 am

One of the biggest down falls in BIM….

15. Ali Johannes
    Ali Johannes January 30, 2014 at 11:03 am

jokers!

16. Angel OfThunder
    Angel OfThunder January 30, 2014 at 11:07 am

Government can do alot better trust me but they or rats….

17. Claire Battershield
    Claire Battershield January 30, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Here we go again .The caring party. The story will be sung .They gave us jobs after we lost them ,they head to lay us off because of the massive debt they had to pay Them really for the poor people .

18. Claire Battershield
    Claire Battershield January 30, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Rhonda Duke. More like yawn, get up ,pee and resume what you were doing.

19. Omar Watson