Blaze leaves four homeless

Burnt out home in Cashew Hill today.

ST. JOHN’S – A Cashew Hill family was rendered homeless at sunrise today as fire ripped through their two bedroom wooden and concrete house.

Two adults, a man and a woman, and two children resided in the house.

Reports are that crackling noises alerted neighbours to the fire at about 5:55 am and the St. John’s Fire brigade was summoned.

Residents said the woman and children were not at home but the man was asleep inside.

The heat was so intense, no one attempted to enter the property to rescue the man but they shouted his name “Kingsley” until he was awakened and made it to safety.

The man sustained burns to one hand and his face was scorched. An ambulance took him to Mount St John’s Medical Centre and he was treated and discharged.

The woman had just left the property and the man had just returned home from his job as a security worker, residents said.

The children, who are on vacation overseas, are expected in Antigua today.

There’s has been no suggestion as to the possible cause of the fire. (Antigua Observer)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *