Update: Police investigate drowning

A casual beach lime, following a cancelled cricket match ended tragically this afternoon for a 16-year-old Alexandra School student.

The student, whose name has not been released by police, left the grounds of the Coleridge and Parry School with teammates after play was abandoned and decided to pass the time at the Port Ferdinand beach in St Peter.

Police said he reportedly drowned just after 3 p.m.

Visibly distraught family members, teachers from the Alexandra School and a small group of curious onlookers quickly gathered at the scene.

Teacher Jason Worrell told Barbados TODAY he was having a hard time coming to grips with the incident as he spoke highly of the fifth-form student.

“He was a very energetic person. He was involved in cricket and athletics. He was a really dynamic person and it’s really sad to come down here and see him like that and I’m really distraught at this point, “ Worrell said, adding that it would difficult to return to school tomorrow.

“It’s not easy to actually see one of your students laying on the ground, it’s really hard for all of us.”

Worrell said he believed his former student had big dreams of becoming a cricketer one day.

“He was heavily involved in cricket so I assume he wanted to become a cricketer. He was a good fast bowler, Worrell said.

Police are continuing investigations.

23 Responses to Update: Police investigate drowning

1. Cynthia Bee
    Cynthia Bee November 12, 2017 at 10:40 pm

May he rest in peace

2. Angela Crichlow
    Angela Crichlow November 12, 2017 at 10:46 pm

So sad may his soul RIP and rise in Glory

3. Shirnel Yarde
    Shirnel Yarde November 12, 2017 at 10:52 pm

So true a dynamic young man with big dreams in cricket

4. Hyacinth Mayers
    Hyacinth Mayers November 12, 2017 at 11:12 pm

Rip young one

5. Sharon Ward
    Sharon Ward November 12, 2017 at 11:14 pm

So sad

6. Demetrio Moore
    Demetrio Moore November 12, 2017 at 11:32 pm

Name ain’t released but the picture in the front of Nation Newspaper

7. Nyron Johnson
    Nyron Johnson November 12, 2017 at 11:50 pm

As someone who experience the death of a brother very early in my life by drowning:I really believe anyone bathing in the Sea must be very cautious, there’s so much fun in having that experience; but there are certain protocols one should follow.
    Be familiar with the beach of choice, bathe where most people are, be sure there’s a lifeguard on duty: if you’re a proficient swimmer; and familiar with riptides, then there’s little to worry about. Check your skill level before venturing into the unknown. It’s always difficult to see lost of life this way. My condolences to the family and friends of this young man, may you be comforted by the grace of God.

8. Angela Griffith
    Angela Griffith November 12, 2017 at 11:55 pm

My condolences to his family may he Rip

9. Sarifa Patel November 13, 2017 at 12:07 am

So very sad I knew the young man personally and he was an excellent young cricketer being a member of the u13 team which won a couple of years ago. I feel so sad for his family to have lost their son at such an early age. But God understand and he is now in the arms of Jesus. My prayer is that your hearts be comforted in that he is at rest with Jesus. May his soul rest in peace you will be sadly missed but we shall meet again. Be strong for God is with you all as we face these sad times.

10. Stacia Joseph
    Stacia Joseph November 13, 2017 at 12:08 am

R.i.p

11. Carlla Greene
    Carlla Greene November 13, 2017 at 12:44 am

RIP

12. Floyd Greaves
    Floyd Greaves November 13, 2017 at 3:52 am

My prayers are with family ,friends & RBPF. RIP

13. Mary. A Thorpe November 13, 2017 at 5:54 am

So sad to hear about the drowning of this young man !! Father God in heaven put your loving arms around his parents,family,and friends give them comfort and ease their pain on such a sad time in their lives!! RIP young man in the arms of your heavenly father Jesus Christ, Amen!!

14. Quostan Peters November 13, 2017 at 7:31 am

May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

15. Olutoye Walrond
    Olutoye Walrond November 13, 2017 at 8:19 am

Since I don’t k now the facts I can only ask questions: Who was charged with supervising this under-aged boy at the cricket match that didn’t happen? Did he have permission from that person to go into the sea? If the match was cancelled, why didn’t the team, under its supervisor, simply pack up and leave.

16. Veronica Maynard
    Veronica Maynard November 13, 2017 at 9:30 am

Rip

17. AE November 13, 2017 at 9:44 am

My prayers, sympathy and emphathy to the family, friends and school. I was there, thirty five years ago. My son was the same age. May the God of love comfort your hearts. It’s not easy but He will give you the strength you need at this time of grief because He is faithful. The same thing He did for me He will do for you, just trust Him. May your son RIP until Jesus comes to take His love ones with Him.

18. Rodney Callender November 13, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Floyd Greaves the guy was 16 years old. So he could not have been a member of the
    RBPF.

19. Nyron Johnson
    Nyron Johnson November 13, 2017 at 5:02 pm

I’m not aware of your Son age, if he loves the water, having him learn to swim is the greatest thing you would have done for him; and yourself. Sea bathing is one of the greatest experiences one can ever have. I strongly believe learning to swim should be made mandatory in our school. No one should be deprived of this great experience: and beautiful water.

20. Estwick Paula
    Estwick Paula November 13, 2017 at 6:16 pm

He’s only 2 1/2 and I would never even dream of depriving him of going to beach. He loves it too much. He will be starting water safety and swimming classes promptly however.

21. Nyron Johnson
    Nyron Johnson November 13, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Way to go! The younger the better: then being in the water become second nature. Thank You!

22. Estwick Paula