Barbados Pride lead standings after wet regional round

KINGSTON, Jamaica – There were precious few sparks on a drama-less final day as the third round game between Jamaica Scorpions and Barbados ended in a dull draw at Sabina Park Monday.

Resuming the day on 153 for four, Pride failed to muster anything spectacular enough to turn the tide, and were dismissed for 273 nearly an hour after lunch.

Wicketkeeper Mario Rampersaud struck 36 and captain Kevin Stoute, 31, while Justin Greaves finished on 22 not out.

Debutant left-arm spinner Fabian Allen claimed three for 34 while fast bowler Reynard Leveridge (2-28), captain and left-arm spinner Nikita Miller (2-65) and leg-spinner Damion Jacobs (2-69) all picked up two wickets each.

Trailing by 49 on first innings, Scorpions confidently reached the close on 112 for two, with opener John Campbell missing out on his second half-century of the game with 49 and opening partner Shacaya Thomas getting 43.

The rain-affected match’s main talking point was the continued brilliant form of opener Anthony Alleyne.
The rain-affected match’s main talking point was the continued brilliant form of opener Anthony Alleyne.

Test left-arm spinner Jomel Warrican claimed two for 29.

Pride walked away from the rain-ravaged outing with nine points while the hosts picked up 7.6.

The visitors made a safe start to the day as Stoute and Rampersaud stretched their overnight fifth wicket stand to 67. Left-hander Rampersaud was ultra-patient in a knock requiring 133 deliveries and 144 minutes while Stoute, a right-hander, struck two fours and two sixes off 87 balls.

Once the partnership was broken, Pride lost their last six wickets for 53 runs, after going to lunch at 237 for seven.

Faced with a tricky period before tea, Scorpions’ fears were eased by Campbell and Thomas who put on 92 for the first wicket.

The left-handed Campbell, unbeaten on 45 at the interval with Scorpions on 81, faced 66 balls and struck nine fours while Thomas hit six fours in a 60-ball knock

The other games in Trinidad and Tobago and St Lucia were ruined from day one and there was more of the same today. Both Trinidad and Tobago Red Force and Leeward Islands Hurricanes were left frustrated after rain, resulting in an impaired outfield that forced the abandonment of the final day of their third round game.

Umpires carried out a number of inspections but any hopes of action at Queen’s Park Oval were dashed as the outfield remained unfit for play, and officials eventually called time on the encounter about an hour into the final session.

All told, only 92 overs were possible in the game. Friday’s opening day was completely abandoned, only 57 overs were sent down on the second day while Sunday’s penultimate day saw only 35 overs bowled.

Red Force, sent in by Hurricanes, were set to resume on 287 for eight, in an innings where opener Kyle Hope stroked 86 and debutant left-hander Isaiah Rajah got 69.

Captain and part-time slow bowler Kieran Powell finished with three for 29 while off-spinner Rahkeem Cornwall claimed two for 73 to move to 19 wickets for the season.

For their efforts, Hurricanes picked up 5.2 points while Red Force ended with five points.

And at Gros islet the adverse weather which afflicted the other two games finally made its way to St Lucia Monday, forcing the abandonment of the penultimate day of the day/night third round contest between Windward Islands Volcanoes and Guyana Jaguars.

Rain in the morning left the outfield at the Darren Sammy National Stadium saturated, making the 3 p.m. start impossible.

Match officials carried out three inspections, the last of which came at 5 p.m. when it was determined that play would not be possible for the day.

On tomorrow’s final day, Volcanoes will resume on 90 for four in their second innings – a lead of 63 runs overall. 

Source: (CMC)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *