TEEN WANTS TO DISCONTINUE INCEST CASE AGAINST FATHER
After four years of having an incest charge hanging over his head, a 56-year-old father who allegedly sexually violated his young daughter is today breathing a sigh of relief – at least for the time being.
Yesterday when he appeared in the District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court before Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant, his daughter and her mother stood in the witness stand, across the room from him, and delivered news that must have been music to his ears.
Speaking on behalf of the teenager, the mother told the court the girl had decided to drop the case. Once both mother and daughter had taken the oath, the parent was asked by police prosecutor Station Sergeant Janice Ifill to account for the decision to end the matter.
In response, she told the court she was neither forced, threatened nor coerced, and that the decision was solely that of her daughter’s.
However, Station Sergeant Ifill made it clear that the father was not off the hook just yet, as the police had to seek guidance from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Charles Leacock on what the man’s fate would be.
The man had been charged with having sexual intercourse with his daughter sometime between January 1, 2012 and February 29, 2012.
He must return to court on March 1, 2017.