December 7, 2016 - Two remanded for Tudor Street shooting Two men charged in connection with ... +++ December 7, 2016 - Hilton spend justified Parliament today stamped its approv ... +++ December 7, 2016 - BSTU not consulted on Combermere move The Barbados Secondary Teachers Uni ... +++ December 7, 2016 - Deal breaker Prospective customs brokers are fee ... +++ December 7, 2016 - Government apologizes for sewage mess Minister of Health John Boyce today ... +++ December 7, 2016 - Come clean! A horrible stench and murky waters ... +++

Tourism executive wants an end to go-slow at ports of entry

Chief Executive Officer of the Barbados Hotel and Tourism Authority (BHTA) Sue Springer has called for a speedy resolution to the current industrial action affecting operations at the island’s ports of entry.

Weighing in on the matter during yesterday’s ceremony to welcome the inaugural JetBlue flight from Newark, New Jersey to Barbados, Springer described the action being spearheaded by the National Union of Public Workers (NUPW) as a “serious situation” which would affect the 1.5 billion dollar industry.

“Everybody needs to understand that tourism is the sector that is driving the economy and if we’re not bringing in the foreign exchange during this period of time, it does affect us in the long run,” she warned.

bhta-sue_springer

For more than a week now Immigration, customs and health environmental officers at both ports of entry have been on a go-slow as part of action to force the Government to reinstate NUPW President Akanni McDowall who was recently reverted from an acting senior position in the Ministry of Health.

On Friday, the union signalled plans to step up action this weekend after pay talks with the management of the Grantley Adams International Airport Inc (GAIA), which employs 400 airport workers, broke down.

Springer stressed that the action could not have come at a worst time given that the island was hosting events in celebration of its 50th anniversary of Independence and the start of the winter season.

“We’ve now got more airlift than I think we’ve had for many years so the opportunity for this season and for next year is very positive. However, if we are going to have a situation where people are going to go on strike or a go-slow, the experience of people coming in from the airport and departing from the airport will most definitely be a negative”.

The BHTA president also pointed out that the go-slow would also have a negative impact on cruise ships that were docked at the Bridgetown Port for the first time.

“They say that first impressions count and we don’t need to make these ships doubtful that they aren’t welcome here and they can’t work here because when you have the air-sea component it is very important that everything works efficiently because there is a short time frame to move over a lot of people so it is exceedingly worrying, said Springer.

She added, “I think that it is very unfortunate as well that this is occurring at the 50th anniversary when obviously this weekend and moving forward for the next week it’s obviously going to be very busy.”

Springer said she was hopeful that authorities could settle the issue but she stressed that a contingency plan must be put in place in the event that mediation talks fail.

“If a resolution isn’t found, then I think the authorities will have to look to find other methodologies to make sure that the two ports of entry are kept open; they are very essential services after all,” she stated.

33 Responses to Tourism executive wants an end to go-slow at ports of entry

1. Rosanna Lewis
    Rosanna Lewis November 20, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Well give the people the raise of pay then.

• Andrena Ceasar
      Andrena Ceasar November 20, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Customs is a law unto themselves put in the cameras your country is performing poor but the only thing that real bringing any money tourism you destroying

• Rosanna Lewis
      Rosanna Lewis November 20, 2016 at 9:18 pm

That’s not the only reason that they are striking. If you weren’t aware, their salary negotiations broke down because the government said zero wage increase. So… if you want the work done go back to the negotiating tables. Prime time for a go slow

• Sherlock Holmes. November 21, 2016 at 6:26 am

you are silly plain and simple.

2. L.Allan Wilkie
    L.Allan Wilkie November 20, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Sack DEM! Dem have shown no respect to the president of nupw.

3. Dennis Connell
    Dennis Connell November 20, 2016 at 6:29 pm

I guess you mean the government ministers when yuh talking about arrogance.

4. Mazie Taylor
    Mazie Taylor November 20, 2016 at 6:46 pm
  5. Loretta Griffith November 20, 2016 at 6:52 pm

My exact sentiments. I too questioned the contingency plan. When this country could least afford to be losing foreign
    exchange we are faced with bullying tactics from trade unions.
    As I have said before, I hope Prime minister Stuart intervenes like yesterday. This matter is too serious to be taken lightly.
    I still maintain that fire should be fought with fire. (sounding a bit extremist but bullying tactics should merit such actions).

Somebody needs to revolutionize this little island called Barbados. I could imagine how some of the other islands can’t wait to see this economy totally collapsed all because of inflated egos.

6. Martine Boyer
    Martine Boyer November 20, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Maybe all the people who visit the island regularly should send a letter to the BHTA and let them know how they feel (myself included). What do you think Linda Huyton-Hill, Kate Turner, Carol Southcott?

• Martine Boyer
      Martine Boyer November 20, 2016 at 7:15 pm

They must assume that people on vacation have nothing to do…

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva November 20, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Do you really think they care, next time they will find a better place
      where they care about their tourists.

• Adrian Reid
      Adrian Reid November 20, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Still can’t stop the people from going slow,hahahaha

• Martine Boyer
      Martine Boyer November 20, 2016 at 8:41 pm

I have not found a better place yet… 🙁

• Martine Boyer
      Martine Boyer November 20, 2016 at 8:41 pm

I would like a better service, I just love Barbados!

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva November 20, 2016 at 10:59 pm

I like Barbados because I have family and friends there. I am not going to deny there are nicer places because I have seen nicer for myself.

• Linda Huyton-Hill
      Linda Huyton-Hill November 20, 2016 at 11:30 pm

I’m with you Martine Boyer. After 30 years visiting , I’m not giving up now. It’s time we had a voice.

• Martine Boyer
      Martine Boyer November 20, 2016 at 11:49 pm

Linda Huyton-Hill I have made friends in Barbados who treat me like family.

• Kate Turner
      Kate Turner November 21, 2016 at 3:28 am

Martine Boyer I’m so with you. Those queues were at an unacceptable level anyway but now they must be horrendous. I’ve paid for VIP fast track for when we go in February which has always worked brilliantly before but if there is industrial action I’m not so sure. I hope the situation can be sorted out fast for the sake of Barbados and for everyone else who loves this beautiful island.

• Linda Huyton-Hill
      Linda Huyton-Hill November 21, 2016 at 3:30 am

I’ll be fast tracking also BBF but I’m also unsure if it will be of any benefit…..
      Apparently it’s truly HORRENDOUS there right now and about to get much worse… so many arrivals for independence

• Kate Turner
      Kate Turner November 21, 2016 at 3:31 am

Such a shame.

• Kate Turner
      Kate Turner November 21, 2016 at 7:29 am

Nicholas Houston seriously?? So at least tourists won’t be thinking along the lines that they would be better off going to a different island in future. I really hope Barbados can get over this crisis though because everything else about is perfect :)!

• Kate Turner
      Kate Turner November 21, 2016 at 11:15 am

Quite agree. Hard work for him having to go to Barbados when I’m sure he’s got so much better things to do lololol

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva November 21, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Nicholas Houston there are somethings not even Harry’s arrival can fix. This infrastructure problem is a problem regardless to who shows up. The only thing which they can stop would be to have airport employees work like regular people earning a pay should and even with the snail attitude it will more than likely be set up to avoid Harry experiencing any snails. Harry will be driven along routes avoiding the stench of sewage and falling down shacks, garbage areas, the homeless and any thing which is an eye sore.

7. Eddy Murray
    Eddy Murray November 20, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Wait them do not strike for they right to have a wage in crease

8. Maria Leclair Dasilva
    Maria Leclair Dasilva November 20, 2016 at 8:07 pm

This is Height of ignorance.

• Sherlock Holmes. November 21, 2016 at 9:17 pm

You could not have said it better, for those political operatives in the background who are stoking this fire the time will come when you unfortunately will be at the helm, and there will be grievances i hope that all of the clowns who are now allowing themselves to be blindfolded with red cloths stand down and suffer. For it will be like treason for you all to expect to go against the party of the union’s choice and apparently your choice as well, i guess we can safely assume though that everything will be fine and dandy once a so called change comes. Bunch of sheeple.

9. Peachesnaddy Brown
    Peachesnaddy Brown November 20, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Unuh coulda talk chalk this have to happen……woooiiiiii lol unuh think God ah sleep

10. Observer November 21, 2016 at 9:34 am

Stop trying to bust the union then these things wouldn’t accur,unions are in place for a reason things like this don’t happen overnight the authority bring this hot mess on them selves

11. Phyllis G Wallace
    Phyllis G Wallace November 21, 2016 at 11:16 am

I love my home. Won’t stop me from saying what they are doing ,is making things worse. Send them all home for a week with no pay. Management step up . Problem solved

12. jrsmith November 21, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Bajans stop this dilly dallying , call out the politicians let them sort this out out now…..

13. jus me November 21, 2016 at 2:26 pm

ha ha ha
    We PRETEND we got a Government
    THEY PRETEND to GOVERN.

Oh bus muh belly!!!
    Oh GOD love us, we at de funfair.
    Man jus yuh look at dem clown,one look real SLEEPY!!
    OH LORD, spare me.

I celebratin, well wid 7,000,000 Grantleys in de pot I crazy not tuh.

14. Barker Antony
    Barker Antony November 21, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Its about time , this is high class nonsense

15. Realist November 21, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Man go as slow as you like. Do like the children is school; write one letter, gaze around and then write the next. Miss Sue if you want speed, go and do the job your self. You need a replacement too because it is pea brained people like you that have B’dos tourism in stagnation. Few Bajan Yankees coming for a celebration and you called that tourist arrivals? Look lady take several seats down in the back. WASTE.