Young man on bond for camouflage jacket

Twenty-seven-year-old Jabar Danko Yarde must be on his best behaviour and keep the peace for the next six months if he wants to avoid paying a $750 fine or spending two months behind bars at HMP Dodds.

Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant imposed the bond on the painter from Grazettes Main Road, St Michael when he appeared before her in the District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court and pleaded guilty to possession of a camouflage jacket without lawfully authority.

According to the facts presented by Sergeant Neville Reid, the police prosecutor, lawmen found the jacket in Yarde’s wardrobe when they executed a search warrant at his home.

While Yarde admitted knowledge of the garment, his lawyer Romaine Marshall told the court the jacket was given to him by a cousin who had since died, and he had “kept it for sentimental value”.

In pleading for a lenient sentence for his client, Marshall asked the court to consider his four-day stint in police custody as punishment enough.

“Being in the [police] station is similar . . . to being on remand [and] he was there from Friday, since [the police] was investigating him in connection with another matter,” Marshall said.

The magistrate subsequently imposed the bond, despite the attorney’s arguments.

26 Responses to Young man on bond for camouflage jacket

1. Victoria Lily
    Victoria Lily November 16, 2016 at 9:26 am

Yet another outdated, useless law.

• Carla Miller
      Carla Miller November 16, 2016 at 3:28 pm

When coming to Bim for vacation I always have to remind my kids that’s it’s against the law to wear anything camouflage related down there unless you’re in the military and thats its an actual law that’s enforced. I love Bim but it’s a ridiculous law that is not a problem in any other country. When will Barbados get with the times and revise some of their ancient, meaningless government laws??

• Valerie Da Costa Greaves
      Valerie Da Costa Greaves November 16, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Wot a stupid outdated law

2. Danny Colombian Clarke
    Danny Colombian Clarke November 16, 2016 at 9:44 am

As it stands camouflage is against the law . Therfore wearing it or just having it in your house is an offense . Is he part of the military ? You know it’s illegal . Why have it . I agree it’s one of the laws they could do away with but until it has been why risk a charge .

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva November 16, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Is there a law that says it cannot be owned? Just wondering.

• Danny Colombian Clarke
      Danny Colombian Clarke November 16, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Yes there is . No one other than our defense personal can wear any type of camouflage . Ours here is the green type however you are held for all colours . The desert storm / blue n white etc .

• Danny Colombian Clarke
      Danny Colombian Clarke November 16, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Thanks Tonya . My spell check must want updating. I’ll fix it and make u happy . Lol

3. Danny Colombian Clarke
    Danny Colombian Clarke November 16, 2016 at 9:45 am

Illegal means illegal . Whether you wearing it or have it home its the same thing .

4. Chari Wallin
    Chari Wallin November 16, 2016 at 10:04 am

You can’t even keep a deceased cousins jacket??? Who called that in? Smh there’s far worse things to worry about… Not like he was wearing it around town …. Somethin Smells fishy

• Chari Wallin
      Chari Wallin November 16, 2016 at 10:14 am

Jude Roach really what

• Danny Colombian Clarke
      Danny Colombian Clarke November 16, 2016 at 5:00 pm

What his deceased cousin doing with a camo jacket ? Was he a soldier ?

• Danny Colombian Clarke
      Danny Colombian Clarke November 16, 2016 at 5:01 pm

Wait let me go check quick and make sure my cousin carry long all his weed from back of me when he move . I aint want no charge .Brb

5. Philip Clement
    Philip Clement November 16, 2016 at 10:15 am

Camouflage is any disruptive patterned material , regardless of colour or style and is deem illegal in Barbados.
    But on the flip side I think its a law that needs revisiting.

6. Viveean Foster
    Viveean Foster November 16, 2016 at 11:05 am

You can wear camouflage any where in the world except Barbados Why?…, cauz we foolish ?…

• Aileen Smith
      Aileen Smith November 16, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Not true, it’s illegal in Jamaica as well.

• Maria Leclair Dasilva
      Maria Leclair Dasilva November 16, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Jamaica, St. Vincent, Dominica, St. Lucia and Barbados…they all have the same lack of brains

7. Kimberly November 16, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Bare foolishness get rid of that law.. smh

8. Maria Leclair Dasilva
    Maria Leclair Dasilva November 16, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Eg. we can legally own a gun, have stored locked away in our home. However we cannot sit on our front porch cleaning the gun. Although it is illegal to wear it in public it may not necessarily be illegal to own. (Which is what I am trying to find out). I know of a citizen who have a camouflage hat and shorts which they bought abroad and wears it when they leave the island. If it is illegal then I would guess stores are prohibited from selling the material. What’s the scoop on that? Any idea Danny Colombian Clarke.

9. Danny Colombian Clarke
    Danny Colombian Clarke November 16, 2016 at 2:15 pm

10. Danny Colombian Clarke
    Danny Colombian Clarke November 16, 2016 at 2:15 pm

I can sit in my verandah and clean my license gun . Who told you otherwise ?? The only thing my gun licence says is i should not discharge it on a public highway . It says absolutely nothing about where i can or cannot clean it . Camoflage material of any color is illegal . I did not make the law . It could be even a beach shorts it’s illegal . Question the law makers not me . I’m just stating the facts as they stand . Even a woman armhole top in Camoflage , a hat is still illegal .. And to answer your question yes it is illegal for stores to sell it . DISCLAIMER : This is the law as it presently stands not my personal opinion.

11. jus me November 16, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Nuffin SLEEPY got tuh say?????>>>
    YAWN>
    Little wonder it tek 20 year to get summat serious heard.
    God save us.

12. Brien King
    Brien King November 16, 2016 at 4:06 pm

If memory serve me right in this matter, the law came about because some folks committed crime while wearing camouflage uniforms like the soldiers .

13. Tee White November 16, 2016 at 4:41 pm

This is one of the most stupid laws I know of anywhere in the world. To spend 4 days in custody because police find a jacket in your wardrobe must count as a serious violation of a person’s human rights. It’s time Barbados join the 21st century and scrap this law.

• Justice For All November 30, 2016 at 5:24 pm

There’s more to this story that you dont know about. He was being investigated for a murder charge. Also, he is always in trouble and just came out of prison after spending 7 years and a few years before that.

14. BoboTheClown November 16, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Can a member of the Barbados Defense Force own a Camouflage Jacket if it is not a Defense Force issued? This law is insane. To think that someone cannot wear something, anything, that is Camouflage even if it’s color has nothing to do with the colors that the Defense Force or Police wear seem a bit of a stretch to say the least. What purpose does this law serve? Wish someone could explain it.
    I guess the next law on the books is going to tell us that unless you are a man you can’t wear a pants.
    It all goes to show that there are many more Clowns in this World than BoBo.

15. Jennifer November 17, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Now where did the camouflage derive from in the first place for your army Barbados? From your oppressors to fight their wars. We are such a sheepish people, when will we wake up??? our defense force is only there to cut up trees in hurricanes or go to war when ordered by other nations. We have no military might at all – even our cannons is filled with cement. Any country invading here we will be in serious trouble. Not even an aircraft carrier or planes or even a warship we do not have. But have a stupid law about not wearing camouflage. ‘when the nations with the military might have no such law. All the Caribbean has the same set of blind leaders with the same stupid laws. At least your oppressors did not give you this one.