JAMAICA – Two dead following plane crash

KINGSTON – The third victim in Thursday afternoon’s plane crash, who was reported to have died at hospital, is in fact alive, but in critical condition.

Earlier, the police told OBSERVER ONLINE that two people died at the scene close to the Tinson Pen Aerodrome, and a third was rushed to the Kingston Public Hospital where he succumbed.

However, chief medical officer in the Health Ministry, Dr Winston De la Haye, when contacted by OBSERVER ONLINE a short while ago, confirmed that the crash victim was still alive and will move to the Intensive Care Unit at the  KPH. The police have also adjusted their report.

Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller looks at a part of the aircraft that crashed this afternoon.
Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller looks at a part of the aircraft that crashed Thursday afternoon.

Earlier, the Fire Department had reported that the third victim was pronounced dead at the Kingston Public Hospital (KPH). However, the chief medical officer Dr Winston De La Haye told The Gleaner a short while after the crash that the patient, a student pilot, was still alive.

“He became conscious enough to give a history to doctors at KPH. He’s now sedated with burns to 60 per cent of his body, bone fractures, eye trauma and obviously inhalation injuries from any fumes he is likely to have inhaled,” De La Haye said.

The flight instructor and another student were pronounced dead on the scene.

The ill-fated aircraft that crashed in a Greenwhich Town house this afternoon was said to be a Cessna 172 owned by the Caribbean Aviation Training Centre.

However, when OBSERVER ONLINE visited their office they could neither confirm nor provide any information on the matter.

PRO at the Jamaica Fire Brigade Emelio Ebanks said that the fire brigade got a distress call at 1:34 pm that the plane had developed mechanical problems shortly after takeoff.

Ebanks added that the victims – one instructor and two students – were returning to the Tinson Pen Aerodrome when the aircraft crashed.

The aircraft burst into flames on impact and also ignited a house. The police say the small aircraft crashed sometime after 1 o’clock Thursday afternoon on Seaview Lane in the community.

The Transport Minister Mike Henry told a Caribbean Maritime Institute graduation ceremony that the plane had just taken off when it crashed. He says the plane belonged to the Caribbean Aviation Training Centre.

Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller in whose South West St Andrew constituency the crash happened visited the scene expressing regret at the incident.

A woman claiming to be a relative of one of the victims who turned up at the scene was crying uncontrollably.

In the meantime, the Civil Aviation Authority has launched a probe into the incident.

The second student pilot eventually succumbed to injuries and died.

Source: (Jamaica Gleaner/Observer)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *