News Feed

December 8, 2016 - No easy exit from sugar, warns Sinckler Minister of Finance Chris Sinckler ... +++ December 8, 2016 - Communication is key, warns Collymore In the face ongoing water, sewage a ... +++ December 8, 2016 - It’s a disgrace! An impassioned chairperson of the B ... +++ December 8, 2016 - Former BTA worker had ‘300 sick days in one year’ The Employment Rights Tribunal hear ... +++ December 8, 2016 - Burke hits new heights Barbados top ranked surfer on the W ... +++ December 8, 2016 - Economic headwinds ahead, says Jordan Advisory Partner at Pricewaterhouse ... +++

No second thoughts on Hyatt

Minister of Tourism Richard Sealy has brushed aside any concerns that controversy surrounding the proposed construction of the 15 storey Hyatt hotel at Bay Street, The City has in any way deterred the investors.

As a matter of fact, Sealy, who spoke to Barbados TODAY at World Travel Market in London yesterday, remained confident that the project would receive the necessary approval from Town & Country Planning, and construction would begin shortly.

“I am not aware that the Hyatt people are having any second thoughts. The permit is being processed in order for them to start work. We look forward to that permit being issued and work being started,” the minister said.   

hyatt-renderings4742-450x303The project has run into strong objection from social activist and attorney-at-law David Comissiong, who has threatened to take legal action to stop construction of the hotel if is not subjected to a comprehensive environmental impact assessment.

Comissiong, along with the Barbados National Trust (BNT), is contending that the hotel will have negative implications for the environmental well-being of the City of Bridgetown and its designation as a UNESCO World Heritage site.

The Trust, which is represented on the Barbados World Heritage Committee, has said it fears Barbados could lose its crucial World Heritage designation for the Outstanding Universal Value (OUV) of Historic Bridgetown and its Garrison and put it on the danger list should the project go ahead.

Up to late last month, following a site visit for the proposed 237-room property, Chief Town Planner Mark Cummins said no decision had been made on whether or not the project would be approved.

Meanwhile, Sealy said another major hotel project, the multi-million dollar, five-star Wyndham Grand Resort on site of the historic Sam Lord’s Castle in St Philip was mostly on schedule.

“Most of the site work, in terms of preparing the site, that is, access and so on, [has been done]. We will very soon be commencing the work on the actual structures that will make up the Wyndham Grand property. I would say that we are near enough on schedule; we are not seriously off schedule,” he told Barbados TODAY. (CM)

9 Responses to No second thoughts on Hyatt

  1. Sherolyn November 9, 2016 at 8:58 am

    Where exactly on Bay Street ??

    Reply
  2. Nicole Clarke
    Nicole Clarke November 9, 2016 at 8:59 am

    Stuuuuppppzzzz

    Reply
  3. Dan Vaughn
    Dan Vaughn November 9, 2016 at 9:33 am

    Wasn’t Bridgetown made a world heritage site? How bout de historic old buildings

    Reply
  4. Louis Swann
    Louis Swann November 9, 2016 at 10:18 am

    Cant provide water for it citizens but looking to provide for a high rise hotel… water scarce responsibilities… interesting.
    water is life.

    Reply
  5. Alex Alleyne November 9, 2016 at 11:33 am

    Maybe just words of “a clever Politician”.

    Reply
  6. eddy murray November 9, 2016 at 6:54 pm

    The man is in England looking for investor, so you expect for him to say it will not go as planed.

    Reply
  7. PatO November 9, 2016 at 7:38 pm

    I thought it was a done deal with the backers and pushers of the said project? If it is not a government initiative, what is Sealy doing trying to drum up investors? Something smells.

    Reply
  8. Malcolm Walker November 10, 2016 at 1:47 am

    Let me get this straight. So you’re building a 15 stories building, and the Fire Service has no equipment to reach the upper floors in case of an emergency?
    Who makes these types of decisions?
    Just recently there was a fire on one of the upper floors at the building in Warrens, luckily it was not catastrophic.

    Reply
  9. F.A.Rudder November 10, 2016 at 12:46 pm

    I would think not! The World Heritage Site designation is great for the islands historical land marks but here it is; at that location what damage or demolition is being carried out to infrastructure or edifice? If progress in our City’s design infrastructures are being hampered by a international organization then we should know what input benefits will be received from such injunctions. The nation must progress and advance into the 21st century. World heritage sites are there to be embraced and maintained but waivers should be made to specified allocated designations for the purpose of edifying.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *