December 7, 2016 - Hilton spend justified Parliament today stamped its approv ... +++ December 7, 2016 - BSTU not consulted on Combermere move The Barbados Secondary Teachers Uni ... +++ December 7, 2016 - Deal breaker Prospective customs brokers are fee ... +++ December 7, 2016 - Government apologizes for sewage mess Minister of Health John Boyce today ... +++ December 7, 2016 - Come clean! A horrible stench and murky waters ... +++ December 7, 2016 - BET property sold After being on the market for more ... +++

Payne is new BLP chairman

St Andrew MP George Payne is the new chairman of the opposition Barbados Labour Party (BLP).

Andrew George Payne

George Payne

Payne succeeds Opposition Leader Mia Mottley, who has completed three consecutive terms as party chair, and under the BLP’s constitution was therefore not eligible for another term.

The only other contestant, St Thomas MP Cynthia Forde, withdrew from the race, leaving Payne as the sole candidate offering himself for the position.

20 Responses to Payne is new BLP chairman

1. Brien King
    Brien King October 29, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Interesting things occurring in the Blp camp and that’s not all, stay tune for more.

2. Les Carr
    Les Carr October 29, 2016 at 5:26 pm

So did George call it right?

3. Phil October 29, 2016 at 5:51 pm

So, shall we be seeing Dale Marshall emerge as the new leader of the opposition? with Owen Arthur as Or Sir Luis Tull as the Governor General designate? Well Fruendel ‘s done so enter young Richard as our next PM . Yes, Plain and simple. No Mia and the DEMS will get back in. Maybe He will return Barbados to prosperity. Now the in house fighting will manifest itself and, Wuh loss !!!

4. Lennox hewitt October 29, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Some,people wan make a big ting out ofmit but f she time up oviously she gotto go look at obama 2 turms and that ‘s it .

5. BaJan boy October 29, 2016 at 8:42 pm

It is amazing how Bajans have been exposed to such a high quality education and still are iliterate. What is truly sad is that they don’t even know they are iliterate. I just manifested itself here in Brien King,Phil and and the Les Carr who could be so ignorant as to even to listen to the lady who spoke last week end from the DLP.

• Phil October 29, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Hey Bajan boy I am just speculating here. Anyhow, Let’s not match wits nor education here. You are not prepared. How much did you get for your X? Not boasting, But I hold a top position with an overseas based reputable organization. My job title is Executive Vice President Caribbean Business Development. I am a past scholarship winner – Not Barbados. What are you? A YARD FOWL ?

• Coralita October 29, 2016 at 10:19 pm

Lololololololololol

I does get a good laff in this forum.

• David G. Brooks October 29, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Phil, that sort of title does not mean much these days as such high up execs are seen as making more than they should or certainly need to and certainly unbalanced to other employees down the ladder, and are shown to be just as corruptible as any politician. You may want to call me a yardfowl too but a yardfowl does not normally speak his/her mind on matters of fact and/or conscience.

• Phil October 30, 2016 at 1:27 pm

David Brooks, I quite understand you. I have always endorsed the saying.. Self praise is no recommendation. I incidentally am not the boss of the company I work for. They fly around in Corporate aircrafts. I was diligently tested in my area of development and consultancy before being offered this position I have been employed in my present capacity Sept 01st this year makes it 19 years. Still David, I agree with you, that does not make me any smarter. I recall walking into a meeting in London with two different color Bally shoes . One brown and the other Burgundy. They never stop teasing me.

• Donild Trimp October 30, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Executive Vice President Caribbean Business Development.

Phil, where are you located?

• Phil October 30, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Miami based Operations, Headquartered in Netherlands with regional offices in London, Stockholm, Brussels and Sydney. Thanks for asking Donald Trimp.

6. Chris Jones October 29, 2016 at 9:43 pm

changes and surprises.

Mia is a good politician and has a loyal following; Dale can make it in the polls, but Mr Payne may have an uphill task to galvanize all the party together; at least the party faithfuls can breathe a bit easier now. Yep, the BLP getting back in this time…

7. David G. Brooks October 29, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Not sure what kind of fighting is going on – simple democratic process, least we forget the DLP over-ruling the majority vote in CC-West for Abed and giving it to Verla who gain few votes or wunna forget that, huh?

Payne has his Party Committee as voted in tonight as Cynthia Forde as 1st Vice President (and effectively his Deputy Chair), Dwight Sutherland as 2nd VP, Eddie Hinkson as 3rd VP, Reginald Farley as Treasure and Jerome Walcott as Secretary. So you know who the majority of said committee is supporting – the new chairman may find himself alone, since all of his supporters nominated for the other positions above were out-voted.

The party general membership is now virtually all backing and firmly behind Mia Mottley. No question.

8. Alex Alleyne October 29, 2016 at 10:20 pm

KERRY must be hopping mad. Most of us were looking for he to get the “Big Pick” . Surely not PAYNE.
    Hope them don’t be singing “Ambush in the night”.

9. David G. Brooks October 29, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Kerrie was very inconspicuous and possibly the only MP or Candidate not wearing a red shirt today and he was not among the main group on the floor. Any connection between him and the pastor recently suspended, there is a major resemblance?

• Coralita October 29, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Pastor is his brother.

• David G. Brooks October 29, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Firgured as much

10. Oldgirliegirl October 29, 2016 at 11:13 pm

Schwepps

11. jrsmith October 30, 2016 at 5:50 pm

I wish the election was next week, so the honourable lady would be in residence as (PM) I am planning to resettle in Barbados within the next 6 months, hoping by then water would be running from the taps

12. John Moore November 1, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Congrats to George Payne on being elected to the chairmanship of the BLP.