Forgery and theft charges dismissed
A St George man walked out of the No.1 District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court a free man Wednesday, three years after he was charged with forgery.
Magistrate Douglas Frederick dismissed the case in which Rico Ricardo Blackman, of Drax Hall Hope, was charged with possession of seven forged $100 bank notes on April 7, 2013.
When the case was called Wednesday morning, the police prosecutor Sergeant Neville Watson revealed that he was still not in possession of a file to begin the case.
“I made a request for the file, Sir; I haven’t been given the file as yet, Sir,” Watson told the magistrate.
However, Blackman’s attorney Naomi Lynton countered that on the last court date she had submitted that it had been several years since the matter had attracted the court’s attention and still no filed had been produced.
“Certainly no disclosure has been served. The matter has not moved any further than it did three years and six months ago. I do understand that the prosecutor has made valid efforts to attain that file; however, the fact remains that his efforts have fallen short, in that they are not in a position to begin this matter,” she said, asking that the case against her client be dismissed “for want of prosecution”. Frederick agreed.
In another case Wednesday, two other men were freed of theft charges.
They were: Ternell Atelston Adams, of Liverpool Road, Brittons Hill, St Michael, and Kadeem Camine Hunte of Rock Hall, St Phillip. The duo was charged with robbing Rochad Bryan of a chain worth $1100 on September 10, 2011.
The prosecutor told the court that the complainant was no longer interested in pursuing the matter.
“He said he wasn’t giving evidence and I don’t think we can force him,” Watson said.
While the charge was dropped, Hunte will reappear in court on November 16 as he is currently on remand on other matters.