December 3, 2016 - Senior citizens feted Senior citizens at the St Thomas, S ... +++ December 3, 2016 - Support for kidney sufferers A kidney transplant programme has b ... +++ December 3, 2016 - Don’t exclude them! Minister of Social Care Steve Black ... +++ December 3, 2016 - World media salute great Barbados Barbadians are truly a very proud p ... +++ December 3, 2016 - Worthing Beach closed Government this morning announced t ... +++ December 3, 2016 - Don’t rule out IMF, says senior economist Barbados should not rule out turnin ... +++

Update: Family rocked by Liam’s death

Tributes have flooded social media following the tragic death of five-year-old Liam Bridgeman yesterday.

The child died while attending a pool party at Coverley, Christ Church with classmates at the St Cyprian’s Boys School.

14705688_10154056834241229_2063371448045985077_n

Liam Bridgeman

When Barbados TODAY contacted the family this morning, mother Sheena Jackson and his grandmother Sandra Wharton were too devastated to speak.

Friends have however taken to Facebook to express their condolences and support for the grieving family.

“I ask that you would watch over Sheena Jackson, Sandra Wharton and Steve at this time Lord only you know what their going through at this time Father, touch each and everyone who has ever come in contact with Liam over the last five years,” one moving tribute said.

“Rest in peace, Liam, you will be missed,  said another and, “May God grant them strength at this time of bereavement, RIP Liam, God knows best.”

Police are continuing investigations into the incident which occurred around 5:20 p.m.

According to police Public Relations Officer Roland Cobbler, the child was in the pool playing with a number of children.

He was later observed motionless with his face down in the water.  He was pulled from the water, CPR was administered and an ambulance was summoned.

He was rushed to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

One of the parents who attended the party told Barbados TODAY he was still in shock and that he found it difficult explaining to his son all that occurred.

“Everything happened so fast, “ he said.

72 Responses to Update: Family rocked by Liam’s death

1. Marva Knight-Miller
    Marva Knight-Miller October 16, 2016 at 12:10 pm

We will keep them in our prayers.

2. Danny Colombian Clarke
    Danny Colombian Clarke October 16, 2016 at 12:13 pm

So sad . RIP. Codolences to his loved ones .

3. Kayvonne N Clarke-corbin
    Kayvonne N Clarke-corbin October 16, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Condolences to the family

4. Cheryl Edwards
    Cheryl Edwards October 16, 2016 at 12:24 pm
  5. Nicholas Mackie
    Nicholas Mackie October 16, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Truly sad and heartbreaking

6. Leeana Latif
    Leeana Latif October 16, 2016 at 12:30 pm

So sad my condolences to u n ur family rip

7. Desiree Selby
    Desiree Selby October 16, 2016 at 12:31 pm

This is so sad, my heart is hurting for his parents and family. may God grant them the strength to endure this tragic loss of their son. RIP little one.

8. Pamela Bowen
    Pamela Bowen October 16, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Never easy losing a loved one. Condolences

9. Sherry Ann Thankful
    Sherry Ann Thankful October 16, 2016 at 12:32 pm
  10. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley October 16, 2016 at 12:33 pm

So very sad. RIP Liam

11. Sherry Ann Thankful
    Sherry Ann Thankful October 16, 2016 at 12:33 pm

RIP little one

12. Michelle Griffith
    Michelle Griffith October 16, 2016 at 12:35 pm

My sympathy to the family of this little boy,may he Rest In Peace.

13. Patranell Callender
    Patranell Callender October 16, 2016 at 12:36 pm

So sad my condolences to his family.

14. Lennox hewitt October 16, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Rip liam .

15. Wendy Stewart
    Wendy Stewart October 16, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Very sad…praying for peace and understanding.

16. Amelia Gittens
    Amelia Gittens October 16, 2016 at 12:38 pm

so much can happen in a pool with children you drown faster in a pool than in the sea the water is still and dead and less splash to notice if he was in trouble cudear RI P lilttle one my heart goes out to the family words cant express, I get scared with my son even when we go to the sea and he is a big boy and can swim I still get butterflies the sea has no back door

17. Earl Crichlow
    Earl Crichlow October 16, 2016 at 12:39 pm

I’m speechless & saddened! Where was the supervision?? Smh

• Lady-Stylez Pilgrim
      Lady-Stylez Pilgrim October 16, 2016 at 1:06 pm

These things do happen so fast ….

• Earl Crichlow
      Earl Crichlow October 16, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Agreed…but ppl need 2b more responsible when dealing with these little ones….

• Earl Crichlow
      Earl Crichlow October 16, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Accident?? U feel dis is a car or a fall @ work?! Someone’s 5 old drowned while adults where suppose 2b watching!

• Earl Crichlow
      Earl Crichlow October 17, 2016 at 8:08 am

Goodness….My deeCondolences goes out 2 dem…Very Grimm situation…

18. Ria Cassandra
    Ria Cassandra October 16, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Sheena I don’t know you but I wish I could hold u and cry with you right now. I am sincerely praying for you the whole morning and will continue to do so. Only God can comfort you dear! Liam sweet boy I know you’re with Jesus now, but mom and dad, relatives and friends wish you were here now. God bless , sigh!

19. Pat-bb Patty
    Pat-bb Patty October 16, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Oh nooooooo maaaan, my heart aches for his family….R.I.P little one.

20. Carlin Bridgeman
    Carlin Bridgeman October 16, 2016 at 12:55 pm

sorry for your lost my God give you strenght

21. Tamina Darkies
    Tamina Darkies October 16, 2016 at 1:08 pm

No words can explain how sad it is but condolences to the family & friends of this lil angel

22. Lady-Stylez Pilgrim
    Lady-Stylez Pilgrim October 16, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Very tragic loss…..

23. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor October 16, 2016 at 1:11 pm

I personally don’t think no one intentionally mean to put dowm these parents… They sent their child to a party. But let me tell wunna a secret. Parents nowadays (party holders) are not as responsible as in the past… So when ya children gine to a party, go with them, when dem enter a pool or a jumping tent watch them carefully… Cause I personally know a lot of little Dexters…. So sorry this boy died this way…. May he rest in peace… May his parents find comfort in God’s mercy… I just can’t imagine what they are going through… I personally would go mad!

• Sherlock Holmes. October 16, 2016 at 1:51 pm

You have made a valid point, where was the strong supervision that was necessary for children in a pool ? It i a very sad case one which would have torn me to the core if i was his parent. I truly express my sympathies to his entire family this is truly sad.

24. Joylyn Clarke
    Joylyn Clarke October 16, 2016 at 1:14 pm

My condolences to the family

25. Minimusclecat Howard
    Minimusclecat Howard October 16, 2016 at 1:14 pm

My heart hurts my condolences goes out to his family.r I.p lil guy.

26. Lana Clarke
    Lana Clarke October 16, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Oh dear instead of being there,when you were not,please pray for the parents and children associated with Liam.Things can happen in a second.Who knows until the autopsy comes back.Sometimes you have your eyes on children and the moment you glance away things happen.My son is 23 and I never allowed him to go to pool parties.My thing is we were not there.Could Lord feel for the parent or parents that kept the party.Feel for his parents.Don’t go ballistic with your comments.People have feelings.You never know when it will be your turn.Dear Lord in heaven watch over us.Accidents can happen to anyone.Calm their troubled minds,soothe their angry hearts.

27. Lana Clarke
    Lana Clarke October 16, 2016 at 1:27 pm

I meant that when my son was small I would not allow him to go.As an adult if he does all I can do is pray

28. Stacia Greaves
    Stacia Greaves October 16, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Some ppl fail to understand it may not be that the children werent supervise properly…with children sometimes things can happen so fast it leaves u speechless…i personally dont know these ppl but it hurts me as if it was one of my own….my deepest condolences to the family and friends at this time…..

• Ryan Williams
      Ryan Williams October 16, 2016 at 6:13 pm

I don’t know what happened but, with the right supervision, no child can drown in a pool. Noneeeeeee. I am assuming he drowned and it wasn’t anything else. There is no split second when children are in a pool playing. Things are put in place to have eyes on them every split second.

• Stacia Greaves
      Stacia Greaves October 16, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Its true but none of us was there so nobody can say. I personally had an experience with my son when he was about 2 or 3 i was sitting directly next to him, i looked away to tell my cousin something could not have been more than a few secs, the child tore up a baby wipe and stuffed it in his nose, a lady came to me the same time and showed me what he was doing( bare in mind i only looked away) by the time she told me he started crying had to rush him to the hospital and prep for surgery, good thing his father was understanding because in that little time nobody around us knew how it happened…..anybody would have asked how was i sitting directly next to him and did not see

• Sherlock Holmes. October 17, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Stacia we are speaking of a pool here get it?

29. Mary Amos
    Mary Amos October 16, 2016 at 1:36 pm

This is so heart breaking. My prayers are with the family

30. Janette Reifer
    Janette Reifer October 16, 2016 at 1:38 pm

No matter how much supervision. There is an unguarded moment.
    Party and pools for children, should be ruled out.
    My heart felt condolences goes out to this child’s parent and the person hosting

• Martine Boyer
      Martine Boyer October 16, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Well, that settles that! By the same logic, no more driving cars then!

• Angela Maria
      Angela Maria October 16, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Logic? You mean lack thereof, lol

• Martine Boyer
      Martine Boyer October 16, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Yes, that was sarcasm 😉

• Ryan Williams
      Ryan Williams October 16, 2016 at 6:16 pm

An unguarded moment? With the proper supervision there is no child under my watch that can drown……..noneeeeeeeeeeeeee

31. Janette Reifer
    Janette Reifer October 16, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Continuation

32. Valerie Small
    Valerie Small October 16, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Dis situation is so sad. Condolences to the family

33. Viveean Foster
    Viveean Foster October 16, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Guess we parents will be on the alert now. I don’t like this pool party thing at all. Not even for my grown children.

34. Amanda Greaves
    Amanda Greaves October 16, 2016 at 1:49 pm

But why a pool party and theres children hmmm rip lil man

35. Ryan Bayne
    Ryan Bayne October 16, 2016 at 2:12 pm

It’s a sad situation why a young child like him could lose his life like this. My heartfelt condolences must go out to his family and friends because I’m not in the mood for accusing anyone on this tragedy.

36. Janette Reifer
    Janette Reifer October 16, 2016 at 2:43 pm

and to the person hosting the party. It cannot be easy for all involved.

37. Caroline Boxill
    Caroline Boxill October 16, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Very sad it was just an Unforunate Accident … Heartfelt Condolences to His Entire Family and friends ….. To all who will point fingers please Dont … Things happen before a blink of an Eye … Give our support to his mum and family .. May He R.I.P and rise in Glory …. My Heart is feeling it for his family …

38. Sheryl Smith
    Sheryl Smith October 16, 2016 at 3:14 pm

May God grant the family, relatives and friends comfort at this time…May Liam S.i.P!

39. Brigitte Adams
    Brigitte Adams October 16, 2016 at 3:40 pm

This is horrific accident my prayers may he rest in peace my heart goes out to all his family and friends may you find strength at this time and keep the memories strong.

40. Fay Gaskin
    Fay Gaskin October 16, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Brenda M. Earle

41. Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa
    Safiya Kamaria Kinshasa October 16, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Jeeeeez! My condolences I am extremely sorry and saddened by this news. I pray and pray for that little boys soul in heaven!

While accidents do happen I hope the family and hosts are prepared to explain and co operate fully. A little boy has died at their home with nuff witnesses so they need to deal with the interrogations and understandable anger from the family of this child.

With regards to drowning and incidents off land it is compulsory children learn how to swim.

42. Lauraine Clarke
    Lauraine Clarke October 16, 2016 at 5:28 pm

May his soul rest in peace.

43. Ryan Williams
    Ryan Williams October 16, 2016 at 6:18 pm

Hmmmm. So sad to read of this. My condolences. Won’t say what I wish to at this point.

44. Marilyn Weekes
    Marilyn Weekes October 16, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Terribly sad. Most sincere condolences to all his family and friends. Thoughts & prayers

45. Elmonda Trotman
    Elmonda Trotman October 16, 2016 at 7:24 pm

My condolences to the family may he rest in peace

46. Glendine Harris
    Glendine Harris October 16, 2016 at 7:30 pm

RIP little one my heart goes out to the families

47. Patrick Newton
    Patrick Newton October 16, 2016 at 7:43 pm

My prayers are for all those who feels the pain as parents we all sorrow at this moment God knows best he is still in control amen

48. Carson C Cadogan October 16, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Was this an accidental drowning?

This needs thorough investigation with the rate that children are being harmed in Barbados today.

we all ought to wait for the conclusion of the Police investigation of the matter.

Things are not always what they first appear to be. Just saying.

49. Dougal Bascomb October 16, 2016 at 8:21 pm

If one cannot say something good, it is better to say nothing. I hope none of those affected by this tragedy will read your post. IMHO they are inappropriate. You appear to be making insinuations of something sinister.

50. Re Re Nowell-carrignton
    Re Re Nowell-carrignton October 16, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Rip Liam , was such sweet child, only God can help u Sheena in this sad time.

51. Harry October 17, 2016 at 6:09 am

He is just being the ass he always is.

• harry turnover October 17, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Ha ha ha Harry…..I know he is the resident yard fowl and most of the times he could be an annoying paling cock like now…. but an ass too ? lord have mercy like you know something I don’t know.

52. kathy-Ann Clarke October 17, 2016 at 8:24 am

May the God of all comfort, grant his parents the peace that is needed at this time. So sorry for your lost, this can be so heart breaking for all who were there to witness. and those children may need some counselling. May he rest in peace and I hope and pray for strength for all who mourn.

53. Roberta Ford
    Roberta Ford October 17, 2016 at 10:16 am

So awful sad Rip wee Angel xx

54. harry turnover October 17, 2016 at 10:57 am

You mean to tell me that parents do not know that one of them MUST ALWAYS ACCOMPANY their children at pool parties or when going to the beach.
    Individual supervision is a MUST at these events and blame must be put solely and squarely on the PARENTS …MOTHER in this case.
    Supervising children in School is hard enough….at a pool party it would be tougher as they would be over excited and running up and down the place.
    An investigation should be done to find out whether PARENTS or GUARDIANS were asked to accompany their children or whether that was done and some parents left their own children to be supervised by others.

55. Phil October 17, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Had that child been taught tyo swim at the age of three, The second he went under he would have held his breath, resurfaced, and swam to a safe location in that pool. I taught my children to swim from since they were around three. I now have five grandchildren at ages ranging from 17 months to 10. I am proud to report that except for the 17 month old, they are all good swimmers I watch them compete in the large section at the Aquatic Center. The youngest one handles himself well but someone is ALWAYS with him. I call them my little sharks. Swimming should be mandatory for all children. It should be part of our curriculum. For every one who posted their condolences, send $20.00 That’ll help offset funeral expenses. I’m not being facetious, I’m just saying put your money where your mouth i9s. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you’re sooo sorry.