December 7, 2016 - Two remanded for Tudor Street shooting Two men charged in connection with ... +++ December 7, 2016 - Hilton spend justified Parliament today stamped its approv ... +++ December 7, 2016 - BSTU not consulted on Combermere move The Barbados Secondary Teachers Uni ... +++ December 7, 2016 - Deal breaker Prospective customs brokers are fee ... +++ December 7, 2016 - Government apologizes for sewage mess Minister of Health John Boyce today ... +++ December 7, 2016 - Come clean! A horrible stench and murky waters ... +++

UPDATE – Five-year-old dies in Coverley

Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the unnatural death of a five-year-old boy this evening at a residence in Coverley, Christ Church.

Public Relations Officer, Inspector Roland Cobbler says preliminary investigations suggest that the boy was attending a birthday pool party around 5:20 p.m. and was in the pool playing with a number of children.

He was later observed motionless with his face down in the water.  He was pulled from the water, CPR was administered and an ambulance was summoned.

The child was subsequently rushed to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital by ambulance, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

48 Responses to UPDATE – Five-year-old dies in Coverley

1. Cornelius Drogo
    Cornelius Drogo October 15, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Tragic

2. Rosemary Wall
    Rosemary Wall October 16, 2016 at 12:19 am

That’s very sad 🙁

3. Victoria Lily
    Victoria Lily October 16, 2016 at 12:26 am

don’t judge me when I don’t sent. you kids to pool parties.

• Lucinda Pixar
      Lucinda Pixar October 16, 2016 at 4:36 am

I am a mother you think in my right mind my five year old would of not be wacth properly when i am there this might offend many but he had no right in the pool unattended at five years old . Sad to say but even if it wasn’t the adult fault because of his age the adult going be blamed in my view a pool party should of not be attended by a five year old he is a young child he shouldn’t be in a pool.

4. Charlie Black October 16, 2016 at 12:47 am

Very very sad.. My Condolences to all and Prayers.

5. Lucinda Pixar
    Lucinda Pixar October 16, 2016 at 4:20 am

6. Lise Hansen
    Lise Hansen October 16, 2016 at 4:41 am

what a tragic message ……

7. Veroniva Boyce
    Veroniva Boyce October 16, 2016 at 5:16 am

Very, very sad. Lack of supervision by an irresponsible adult(s). May the little one rest in peace.

• Wade Alleyne
      Wade Alleyne October 16, 2016 at 6:43 am

Unless you were there, maybe you should wait for more details before passing judgment.

• Veroniva Boyce
      Veroniva Boyce October 16, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Wade Alleyne LACK of SUPERVISION!

8. Michelle Griffith
    Michelle Griffith October 16, 2016 at 5:40 am

Hmmm this is so sad,my question is why wasn’t this child or children not being supervised,when my daughter was growing up I never let her into jumping tents or pools not even plastic pools without proper supervision.

9. Leroy Parris October 16, 2016 at 6:23 am

Well well; how sad and careless that such a young kid playing in water and not being supervised by an adulIt just shows how people just take life for granted without giving two hoots. What a waste of such a young life.

10. Shantelle Yearwood
    Shantelle Yearwood October 16, 2016 at 7:08 am

So sad may he rest in peace

11. Honey Gram
    Honey Gram October 16, 2016 at 7:56 am

How wanna know supervision was lackin ,y wanna ppl always assuming?

• Angela Maria
      Angela Maria October 16, 2016 at 10:45 am

Because he was observed dead in the water?!!? It means at some point, no one was supervising the pool or supervising it properly to notice that he was in distress.

• Michelle Griffith
      Michelle Griffith October 16, 2016 at 10:54 am

Angela Maria exactly at some point in time if they were indeed under supervision the person did take their eyes off him because as you mentioned there would have had to be some signs that he was in distress. These people .

12. Honey Gram
    Honey Gram October 16, 2016 at 7:58 am

He cud b supervise but I guest the person don’t know CPR

• Michelle Griffith
      Michelle Griffith October 16, 2016 at 10:57 am

Haven’t you read the article CPR was administered.

• Honey Gram
      Honey Gram October 17, 2016 at 12:31 am

The 1 read didn’t say anything bout CPR it n even had tht he wen 2 d hospital n d ambulance

13. Honey Gram
    Honey Gram October 16, 2016 at 7:58 am

Anything cud happen n a spit second

14. Amelia Gittens
    Amelia Gittens October 16, 2016 at 8:07 am

this is sad i would like to hear from the parenst what happen but a five year old in a pool not watched hmmm the pool is dead water you drown so easily in a pool versus the sea cudear RIP Liam

15. Sarah Pomeranz Layne
    Sarah Pomeranz Layne October 16, 2016 at 8:08 am

As a swim instructor / lifeguard/ water safety instructor and mom for the better part of 40 years, it truly upsets me to my core when these things happen. We don’t know the situation.. and possibly never will.. I pray for the child who lost his life.. I pray for the family who has to endure this pain and I pray for guidance to every other parent out there who has a child. Don’t deny a child the right to swim.. teach them or have someone teach them.. at least let them learn how to save themselves.. but.. as a parent.. it’s still your responsibility to make sure you child is safe and cared for, in any situation.

16. Linda Fenty
    Linda Fenty October 16, 2016 at 8:22 am

I don’t want to criticize but where were the adults. Who in their right mind let a five year old in a pool without supervision. When my kids were young they were constantly under my or another adult’s watchful eye . Going to a pool party would definitely be a no no. I don’t want to judge without knowing the facts. So sad for the parents having to deal with this tragedy.

17. Phil October 16, 2016 at 9:04 am

I never knew that the Matchboxes at Coverley had pools. Was this a community pool? I taught both my children to swim from the time they were three. My son now almost 40 rescued at least three persond in the sea in fairly strong current. I now have 5 grand children ranging from 17 months to 10 years. They are all very good swimmers except for the youngest who is getting there. I am very impressed with their performance in the large section at the Aquatic Center. My point here is ALL children should be taught to swim from very early. Swimming should be part of our school curriculum. We are an island surrounded by sea. It should be a MUST for all. Like every one else, this saddens me. without [pointing fingers, I know only too well that within 10 seconds, a child can shock, burn and hurt itself NEVER ever let them out of your sight.

18. BoboTheClown October 16, 2016 at 9:41 am

It must be said that Parents or the parent of any five year old hanging around water should be held responsible if that child is left unattended . There is no excuse anyone would be able to come up with as to why a kid of that age should be unsupervised in such a setting.
    It is an unfortunate incident,but one that should not have happened.Parenting is a twenty four seven job with youngsters.Carelessness oft result in injury , death,and most of all regret.

19. Guy Smiley October 16, 2016 at 10:09 am

Phil they never said it was ‘The Villages at Coverley’. They said Coverley. Coverley is a wide area.

• Coralita October 16, 2016 at 10:34 am

Guy, the time you took to make that comment is time you should have taken to express your condolences to the family and friends of the child. Some people don’t know when and where.

A precious life was lost at a very tender age and I am extending heartfelt sympathy to the parents, other family and friends. May you find comfort in the midst of your pain and lost. This cannot be easy for anyone involved.

May he rest in peace.

20. Guy Smiley October 16, 2016 at 10:50 am

Coralita who are you to judge what I write? Who or what gives you the authority to tell me i know not where or when?

What makes you holier and more righteous than I? Because you express condolences in this forum? Do you even mean it or is this just following the trend?

I write what i want and you write what you want.

• Coralita October 16, 2016 at 12:27 pm

I wish that you would stop eating up your fine clothes and stop behaving as though your nickers are stuck in the wrong part of your anatomy.

I was not judging you nor anyone else. I was simply saying that the comment made by Phil, the first line of his submission was uncalled for. I agree with everything else he said about children learning to swim. This is not the place for political jabs, a family has lost a child and is grieving. If you are so thin-skinned that something so simple has upset you, well you got some serious issues, go and do deal with them.

Phil does cuss me when he ready and I does jab at him too, but at the end of the day I don’t take any of it personal. It is just bloggers blogging. Matter of fact most times I just sit and get a good laugh.

Adios and goodbye.

I am having a beautiful day go and do likewise and learn to relax before your blood pressure hits the roof.

• Coralita October 16, 2016 at 12:39 pm

People who knows me personally, knows that I don’t jump on bandwagons. I am not a crowd follower.

Any human being in tuned with their senses is empathetic and sympathetic with those who are hurting or have suffered a lost, because you know what? It can happen to anyone of us.

The fact that you can even suggest that the expression of sympathy to someone who has suffered a lost is just following a trend says a lot about who you are and your level of thinking.

It is such a beautiful day, a mixture of sunshine and gentle showers. You cannot alter my great mood.

So long bye bye.

21. Ashanti Padilla
    Ashanti Padilla October 16, 2016 at 12:27 pm

So heartbreaking. Please pray for the family. They need all the prayers they can get at this time.

22. guy smiley October 16, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Seems that i did. Lol

23. guy smiley October 16, 2016 at 1:20 pm

But i do agree that his first line was uncalled for.

That’s really what i was getting at.

24. Phil October 16, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Guy, Both you and I know that Coverley is a wide area with literally given to MAMal. but the area you refer to is called Lead Vale South. those are mansions compared to the MATCHBOXES.
    Show me one private residence at Coverley with a pool. I maintain that the pool should have had a lifeguard on duty. Both the hosts and the pool owners were neglectful If I was the parent of Little Liam I would sue for second degree murder as they caused the death through reckless endangerment. You NEVER EVER let a child out of your sight. They can Burn, electrocute fall and in this case drown. I am so so sorry this happened. Coralita, girl, thanks. Nex time you throw a jab at me, reach out instead and hug me. You sound like a truly lovely person. Incidentally Guy, those large tomb like looking structures at Coverley, will not be sold for the amount they want. so they will have to sell them off cheap. And herein lies the future ghetto and slums of Barbados. So be it written, so shall it be done.

25. Ziggy Blessed
    Ziggy Blessed October 16, 2016 at 3:58 pm

i feel hurt bout this cause i got a lil man just turn 6….brought water to my eyes…..hope Jah comfort wunna soon

26. Brewster October 16, 2016 at 4:06 pm

I would hate to be in the party throwers shoes right now. With your own child your two eyes are sometimes not enough let alone inviting other peoples children to a pool party with no trained life saver on guard. Very sad though. My condolences to the little boys family.RIP

27. Heather Cole
    Heather Cole October 16, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Very sad indeed. There must be a mandatory swimming programme in Barbados. After you learn to walk the step step is that you should be taught to swim.

28. marlene white October 17, 2016 at 4:09 am

Pool parties are not the best idea for kids and i do not believe that kids should be unattended in no pool reguardless these things break my heart five years old is still a baby…I hurt so much for this poor child…….

29. charm October 17, 2016 at 1:38 pm

I pray that God give Liams parents amily and friends the strength they need in their darkest times. As a mother I cant imagine the hurt the anguish and pain they are experiencing at this time. May God comfort and carry them through….RIP Liam…please support this family who loved raised and loved and cared for this child.