December 3, 2016 - Region lacks capacity to deal with severe weather, says climate change expert One climate change expert has said ... +++ December 3, 2016 - Senior citizens feted Senior citizens at the St Thomas, S ... +++ December 3, 2016 - Support for kidney sufferers A kidney transplant programme has b ... +++ December 3, 2016 - Don’t exclude them! Minister of Social Care Steve Black ... +++ December 3, 2016 - World media salute great Barbados Barbadians are truly a very proud p ... +++ December 3, 2016 - Worthing Beach closed Government this morning announced t ... +++

Be firm!

Magistrate gives mother advice as son faces multiple rape charges

courtActing Magistrate Alliston Seale has urged parents “to be firm with . . . children”, after an 18-year-old appeared before him on three rape charges Monday.

The unemployed teen from Christ Church is charged with having sex with a female without her consent on February 26. He is also accused, along with a 17-year-old male, of raping the same woman on March 8.

A similar offence involving another female also allegedly occurred on June 7.

Addressing the mother of the accused after his attorney Damien Sands put in an application for bail, Seale, noting the seriousness of the allegations, said: “Parents . . . you all got to be firm with these children . . . especially these days [when] there are all sorts of vices. You don’t need to abuse them, but be firm . . . . Keep these children under wraps because as soon as they get into trouble they call for the [parents].”

The magistrate then offered the teen $30 000 bail which he secured with one surety.

However, the young man was warned to stay 100 metres away from both alleged victims.

“Don’t go around the ladies; have nothing to do with them,” the magistrate cautioned.

The teenager was also ordered to report to the Oistins Police Station every Tuesday and Friday before 9 a.m. with proof of identification, and to surrender his travel documents to the court.

He returns to court on December 12.

6 Responses to Be firm!

1. Michelle Griffith
    Michelle Griffith October 12, 2016 at 12:08 am

Wow at 18 years of age and already on 3 rape charges the boy is a menace too society.

2. Hal Austin October 12, 2016 at 2:34 am

Rape is a serious offence, but apprentice magistrates, trying to make a name for themselves, should be careful of what they say during trial.
    To tell an 18 yr old that his parents should be more responsible is idiocy. In Barbados 18 is the age of majority, the man is an adult.

3. Antionette Francis October 12, 2016 at 6:16 am

THE MAN IS A THIRSTY OX he want starving out 3 rapes at 18 he terrible already.

4. BoboTheClown October 12, 2016 at 7:33 am

Why was he allowed bail, I would ask. It seem to me as though the law or some Judges in Barbados have twisted views as to what is a serious offense and what is not.
    I’ve seen harsher penalties for Possession of Marijuana. This is an extremely serious matter,that should have been dealt with as such, instead this predator has been released on bail.This sort of fool hearted leniency not only put others at risk ,but also endangers the life of the victims.Threats are usually made on the victims or they families which, in many cases result in charges being with drawn or victims refusing to testify.
    Under no circumstance should this deviate be allowed bail .

5. Loretta Griffith October 12, 2016 at 11:50 am

Hal Austin I really feel based on my reading that Magistrate Seale did not mean for the parents to be firm with their children after age eighteen, but from infantcy, if I may use that term. It is clear to me he meant from earlier than eighteen. That is my take on it.
    I feel he should be supported. There is too much deviancy in this country that is being condoned by some parents. Note I said some.
    The magistrate should be supported and not condemned.
    I keep saying we need persons who will call a spade a spade and not appearing to be offering comfort to these deviants.
    I respectfully rest my case.

6. Loretta Griffith October 12, 2016 at 11:56 am

Hal Austin I meant parents should be firm with their children from infancy and not infantcy. Wished I could have edited it when I spotted the error.