December 9, 2016 - Businesses warned to keep up or die Keep up with technological changes ... +++ December 9, 2016 - Media needs to be more balanced in gender reporting The local media’s reporting on is ... +++ December 9, 2016 - BAS on board with BHTA After years of complaining about th ... +++ December 9, 2016 - Embarrassing! A top official in the hospitality s ... +++ December 9, 2016 - Industrial climate worsening, says union official The island’s largest public secto ... +++ December 9, 2016 - All clear! Worthing Beach has once again been ... +++

Support for embattled Rastafarian parents

Close to a dozen members of the Rastafarian community today stood in quiet solidarity with two members of the religious sect, as they were due to be sentenced for refusing to send their children to school.

Last month Ijui Jah and his partner Isartes Ibre were both found guilty of breaching Section 41 of the Education Act on the grounds that there was no record of the children attending formal classes.

The children have since been placed in the custody of their paternal grandmother. However, the parents insist that their son and daughter were being homeschooled and say they are prepared to face their fates.

With the matter due to come up in the District ‘A’ Court, several Rastafarians were gathered outside the courthouse from around 9 o’clock this morning under the watchful eye of police.

img-20161007-wa0002 img-20161007-wa0003 img-20161007-wa0004 img-20161007-wa0006

14 Responses to Support for embattled Rastafarian parents

1. Anne Ince
    Anne Ince October 7, 2016 at 11:46 am

Deal with the water problem. Harassment of these people should stop.

2. seagul October 7, 2016 at 11:47 am

Where is the support from our populace for these parents. Where is our culture? Bros and Sisters– Nelson Mandela, Malcolm x Bob Marley, Dr. Walter Rodney they all stated—-Any outspoken black man is going to be defined as a radical—but you know the calculus of being a radical is not to try and figure out how I can dominate what I can win, the point is to stand up on principle and make the connections.

3. jrsmith October 7, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Like everything which needs proper people to people discussion in Barbados, fails because bajans are treated like second class citizens , this should never entered the streets of Barbados.. the attitude of them and us continuously comes into play , white people are treated so different to us blacks in Barbados…

4. Lennox hewitt October 7, 2016 at 12:25 pm

How cum only 12 rastas show up to support them i’ll u y cause the others agree wid sending there kids to school f not y more n show up there got thousands rastas bout hey i now cum from town i leff nuff n town y there n went to support there brother and sister .

5. Hal Austin October 7, 2016 at 12:36 pm

To paraphrase an outstanding German theologian: today they come fore the Rastas, no one protested; tomorrow when they come fore you, non one will be there.
    Barb ado at its worst, the ritual tormenting of these Rastas.

• Miche October 7, 2016 at 12:50 pm

What is the name of the outstanding German Theologian Hal?

• Ras October 7, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)
        Niemöller is perhaps best remembered for the quotation:

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
        Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
        Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
        Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me. Now dem persecuting Rasta

6. seagul October 7, 2016 at 2:31 pm

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Socialist.
    Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
    MN.

7. CHARLES S. CADOGAN SR October 7, 2016 at 3:14 pm

This is a very interesting situation regarding NOT WANTING TO SEND YOUR CHILD,OR CHILDREN TO SCHOOL; My question is:- Is it against the law to homeschool your child or children in Barbados? Here in the USA, it’s done without any problems. Can it be for religious reasons why they felt that they didn’t want their children to attend school? And the other problem is where are the supporters from within the Rastafarian Community? And I am a bit amazed that Barbados still lives the same old fashion way when it comes to being DIVIDED where people are treated differently according to color and class. But then you’ll continue to preach religion. Wasn’t all of us created as HUMANBEINGS? Laugh if you want to. But from my first experience in school dealing with colors. I was taught that when BLACK and WHITE are mixed, you’ll get GRAY. But for the life of me, I have in my 76 years on this Earth, I’ve NEVER seen a GRAY PERSON. So to me, this is very clear that HUMANBEINGS AREN’T COLORS. And according to religious teachings. We were all Created by the same person in HIS own image; So how then have we became COLORS? But as long as we remain DIVIDED we will NEVER have EQUALITY; Life is much too short to continue living in yesterday. It seems easier to change,hairstyles,clothes,cars,appearances,buildings,and a number of other things. But in the TWENTY FIRST CENTURY still walk around like SLAVES and MASTERS. This is truly very sad;

8. kathy-Ann Clarke October 7, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Only about a dozen?
    Honestly, I was expecting a greater amount to turn up in support of their brother and sister.
    Seems a bit mind-boggling.

Waiting to hear the outcome..

9. Bobby Gilkes
    Bobby Gilkes October 7, 2016 at 5:10 pm

I’m quite sure that police man power could have been put to better use else where …….. just saying

10. Henderson Cheltenham
    Henderson Cheltenham October 7, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Wanna does talk bare foolishness those children would end up lost in the system,I would lock up them and the ones who come out to support them

11. Sunshine Sunny Shine October 8, 2016 at 12:15 am

Let us give this case a string of adjournments like the Leroy Parris case.