December 4, 2016 - Veteran entertainer Clarence Thompson passes away   Barbados has lost a veteran ... +++ December 4, 2016 - Gas, diesel and LPG prices rise, kerosene drops Barbadians will be paying more for ... +++ December 4, 2016 - HIV impostors Source: Trinidad Guardian: In order ... +++ December 4, 2016 - Today’s weather The Barbados Meteorological Service ... +++ December 4, 2016 - Castro’s dying wish As thousands joined Cuban President ... +++ December 4, 2016 - World leaders pay tribute to late Fidel Castro World leaders have paid tribute to ... +++

Gill – ‘I done with Mia’

Defeated Barbados Labour Party (BLP) candidate David Gill says though he remains committed to the party he joined shortly after graduating from Harrison College over 40 years ago, he wants nothing more to do with its current Chairman Mia Mottley or General Secretary Dr Jerome Walcott.

Additionally, 61-year-old Gill, who lost Sunday’s nomination in St Michael South Central to the 37-year-old economist Marsha Caddle, said he would have no part in her campaign to unseat the incumbent Democratic Labour Party representative for the area, Minister of Tourism Richard Sealy.

During a lengthy interview with Barbados TODAY this afternoon at the Wildey, St Michael residence of his longstanding manager Eman Layne, Gill also raised concerns about a number of “boat people” who he said had come into the party and were now seeking to determine its future course.

“There are many people who would like to speak like me, but they are afraid to come out and speak. I cannot work with the Chairman of the party because she did not want me. It is no longer the Barbados Labour Party, it is the Barbados Liberal Party,” Gill charged.

He went on to take serious issue with the treatment he had received from Dr Walcott during the internal nomination exercise, saying he had written to the General Secretary three years ago expressing an interest in contesting the St Michael South Central seat for the fifth time, but no reply was immediately forthcoming.

Instead, Gill said the entire candidate selection process, which was completed last weekend, was rushed at the last minute.

David Gill

David Gill

“I cannot work with Dr Walcott because of the shabby way he treats people. He did not handle me well in the procedure. He did not reply to my letters in which I had expressed an interest in contesting the St Michael South Central constituency.

“Is that the way to treat a person?” asked Gill, who also questioned why “after three years, the party only now decided it was time for a run-off”.

Gill, who polled 103 votes to Caddle’s 132, also contended that the young economist was favoured by the party’s hierarchy.

In fact, he charged that the entire process was rigged.

“I think that I have been manipulated. I felt they did not want me around anymore,” said the former BLP Member of Parliament, who represented the St Michael South Central constituency in the House of Assembly between 1999 and 2003.

He also revealed that the first time he saw Caddle was last Sunday, on the night of the nomination.

“She did not come through the usual route. If a candidate wants to run for a constituency he/she expresses an interest by writing the party through the branch because it is branch which promotes the candidate, [but] no, she came in from on high. She was most highly favoured,” he said.

“I am looking at the process, procedure, customs and traditions. What I have been watching is procedure and when you fall down at every turn and twist then you have lost your way,” the defeated BLP candidate added.

Asked if he will support Caddle during her campaign, Gill asked: “How can I support someone that I had only seen on the evening of the nomination?

“She never came into the branch to be met. It would be very hard for me to tell people who had endorsed me to a point, . . . to support the new candidate. I would also have to say I do not want your support anymore, I want this young lady to be the candidate,” he told Barbados TODAY.

Gill also took issue with the way in which a list of 71 names he had submitted on August 28 for party membership was discarded, pointing out that the BLP’s nomination for St Michael South Central was set for October 2 even though the six-week membership process was not completed.

nevilleclarke@barbadostoday.bb

29 Responses to Gill – ‘I done with Mia’

1. Vernon Harris
    Vernon Harris October 5, 2016 at 5:12 am

You ran in five different elections in the same area and could only win once and want to continue running forever? Go rest yourself lets get some fresh new talent. Surely if the people wanted you they would have voted for you

• Danny Colombian Clarke
      Danny Colombian Clarke October 5, 2016 at 5:17 am

Sounds more than reasonable .

• Danny Colombian Clarke
      Danny Colombian Clarke October 5, 2016 at 5:19 am

I said 1000% times that Barbados will never move forward with some of the old backward fools around . We need young vibrant ppl that looking to work not just fatten themselves off the tax payers . Pockets, guts n faces too

• Carson C Cadogan October 5, 2016 at 7:02 am

This is the same way Rawle Eastmond was treated.

2. Puppa Weekes October 5, 2016 at 5:19 am

Yes I understand, but you running like a donkey, they needed horses

3. Alex Alleyne October 5, 2016 at 5:23 am

Mr. Gill , you got it wrong , She done wid you.

• harry turnover October 5, 2016 at 6:11 am

Ha ha you beat me to it.Looks like he is looking at it ” hand standing ”
      You Agard and Commisiong should now have plans of forming a third party.

4. jrsmith October 5, 2016 at 5:30 am

This is how adults behave in Barbados especially the ones who is involve with politics,,

5. Wade Alleyne
    Wade Alleyne October 5, 2016 at 6:00 am

I reading this article wrong? He 61 and graduate from secondary school 30 years ago? He lef school at 30? Lemme read this over..

• Wade Alleyne
      Wade Alleyne October 5, 2016 at 6:16 am

But he’s 61…

• Wade Alleyne
      Wade Alleyne October 5, 2016 at 7:12 am

You’re right. But that’s a huge margin. Why not say 40 or 45? Anyway,whatever.

• Kearn Williams
      Kearn Williams October 5, 2016 at 7:44 am
    • Kearn Williams
      Kearn Williams October 5, 2016 at 7:44 am

Wade, u too bright

• harry turnover October 5, 2016 at 6:13 pm

He said OVER 40 years ago …wha wrong wid you ? over 40 could be up to 50 years ago mate….since when does a 4 look like a 3 ? and wha School you went to btw.

• Olutoye Walrond October 6, 2016 at 12:52 am

I am curious about the relevance of the school’s name. What do we gain from knowing that it was HC and not St. Leonard’s?
      Isn’t it enough to know you joined the party soon after graduating from secondary school?

6. Veronica Straker
    Veronica Straker October 5, 2016 at 7:23 am

Its people like you who make it bad for the party. Do us all a favour go join the DLP.
    Beaten fair and square.

7. Big Brown October 5, 2016 at 7:43 am

Man loses. Blames everyone except himself. Nothing new here folks. Let’s move along.

8. Brian Porte
    Brian Porte October 5, 2016 at 7:52 am

Gill hush you mout! Accept the defeat and move on and you would have been rewarded with some insignificant role paying a salary in the next administration – now you gone mess it up.

9. Cyprian Greaves
    Cyprian Greaves October 5, 2016 at 7:58 am

Always knew he was stupid! David, how many times you lost and election! Plus it wasn’t Mia who voted for Ms.Caddle, it was by members of the party…now move on.

10. BaJan boy October 5, 2016 at 8:06 am

@Carson Cadogan you should be ashamed to comment on this situation. This clown lost 5 times and won 1 time and barely so in the wash in from 1999. Owen Arthur tried to strengthen the clown like you by giving him the Chairmanship of UDC and by 2003 after doing nothing with either situations lost to Sealy who won with 1875 votes pray tell me what is his claim to fame. Your dead party didn’t want Taan Abed who did well in 2008 nor Austin Husbands and they were kicked out. He was voted democratically. He has no monopoly on any constituency and if the people don’t want him kick him out with the vote not with the power David Thompson used. He is a sore angry classless loser..

11. Johnathan October 5, 2016 at 8:18 am

He was voted out now he blaming Mia. Why didn’t he blame Owen for giving him the Chairmanship of Urban when it was too big for him. He is born lose don’t know what Mia got to do with it. He behaved like a child that is looking for attention and for some reason thinks that he is so important he compares himself with Tony Blair. He can go joint he DEADEMS……

12. Donild Trimp October 5, 2016 at 9:45 am

Politics in Barbados is real jokey.

Mr.Gill was not nominated and although they did not have to, the hierarchy in the BLP promised him a position should they win the upcoming elections and he refused.

A man who contested this same seat four times losing 3 times.

Look for something else to do Mr.Gill.

13. Sonia Lynch
    Sonia Lynch October 5, 2016 at 9:51 am

Joker tek d lost an galong ..she is only 1 person .d ppl vote dem ain’t want u …listen b” they don’t want you,” dumbo.

14. BoboTheClown October 5, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Mr.Gill .You should never be satisfied with losing.I could understand your getting angry, terribly angry.But Mr.Gill the mark of a good loser is that he’ll take it out on himself …not his victorious opponent or his team mates.

15. Sunshine Sunny Shine October 5, 2016 at 3:52 pm

You, Jerome Lapdog Walcott, George de Pain Payne, Cynthia Forde, Dale the pest Marshall, Ronald Toppin, and one more that I cannot remember the slime ball name, all want dumping. Gill you are spent hen, the only problem is that you never lay any eggs for anyone to benefit from.

16. Phil October 5, 2016 at 8:15 pm

It was two o’dem that you leff out Sunny Shine. Agard an Arfur. He mussbee drunk somewhere in Sin-Peter

17. Harry October 5, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Very disappointing behavior from David Gill, I am surprised at his comments. Sore losers are never respected.

18. Aneta October 6, 2016 at 1:44 am

Sunshine and Phil wunna making me smile. A country whose literacy rate suppose to be so high. Smh. I beg to differ with some of the idiotic comments I see on a daily basis. What all the name calling got to do with the current situation? Not relevant.

• Sunshine Sunny Shine October 6, 2016 at 2:43 pm

THe names I called are all washed up waste water. All of them, including Mia Mottley, are responsible for the sour picture that the BLP now find themselves in. All the names I called are arrrogant sons of b…….I want to see the back of all of them. I would give Mottley a chance to prove if she is going to draw from her exceptional ability that lingers within, or if she is going to lean to that demon that dwells in her that makes her do some real real nonsense from time to time.