News Feed

December 9, 2016 - Guyana suspends trade in Barbados dollar A deluge of Barbadian dollars on th ... +++ December 9, 2016 - Businesses warned to keep up or die Keep up with technological changes ... +++ December 9, 2016 - Media needs to be more balanced in gender reporting The local media’s reporting on is ... +++ December 9, 2016 - BAS on board with BHTA After years of complaining about th ... +++ December 9, 2016 - Embarrassing! A top official in the hospitality s ... +++ December 9, 2016 - Industrial climate worsening, says union official The island’s largest public secto ... +++

Convincing duo

Two accused make successful bail pleas

courtTwo men who were spending time on remand at HMP Dodds on separate charges Thursday successfully argued for their freedom.

They are David Omar Anthony Narces, 26, of Brewster’s Land, Whitehall, St Michael and Henry Depeiza Lewis, 19, of 8th Avenue, New Orleans, St Michael.

Narces had been on remand for allegedly making a serious threat towards Henderson Watkins and assaulting him on February 4 this year.

Appearing before Magistrate Douglas Frederick, Narces put in his application for bail on a humble note.

“I want to thank you very much, Sir . . . . While doing my sentence I did a lot of studying, Sir  . . . and I am really proud of myself for doing things I couldn’t get to do, Sir – like walking away from people [and] ignoring people, Sir,” he said.

“I learnt a lot. I learnt a little agriculture, I enjoy my time up there and . . .  I would really like to get back to my job, Sir and my family.  I am asking, Sir if you could grant me some bail so I can go back to my children and my mother, Sir; I really miss them,” Narces added, lamenting that it had been financially hard on his family while he was in prison.

Frederick replied: “If nothing else, one thing that you learnt in prison is how to make a bail application. You are very convincing.”

Narces was subsequently granted $3, 000 bail with one surety and will return to court on October 20.

Meanwhile, Lewis was able to secure $5,000 bail with one surety after putting forward his argument.

“Sir, I am 19 years old and I would like to start back my life, Sir,” pleaded the teenage who is accused of entering a woman’s house as a trespasser with intent to commit rape on January 18, 2016.

His bail came with conditions, however. He has to report to the Black Rock Police Station every Wednesday before 10 a.m.

 Lewis returns to court on January 11, 2017.

3 Responses to Convincing duo

  1. Veronica A. Piggott
    Veronica A. Piggott September 23, 2016 at 12:33 am

    A lot of these young men are falling through the cracks, they need early intervention and should be assess by a professional annually as the teacher recommend. Prison is not the answer make them productive citizens by pulling them out and putting them in programs early.

    Reply
  2. Adrian Reid
    Adrian Reid September 23, 2016 at 12:43 am

    Listen those two young men were school up at Dodds on how to win bail,about a decade ago a neighbor of mine got convicted for drugs and got ten years another neighbor who knew the system got the guy out on bail the next week to the amazement of all the guys and then he won the case for the guy not a year he spent , I said all of that to say again those guys had schooling up there on how to argue for bail and it worked for them both ,just hope that they don’t end back up before the court again while on bail

    Reply
  3. Brien King
    Brien King September 23, 2016 at 1:22 am

    It is simply a means to a needed end, so they have learnt things up there, good, put it to good use and don’t go back there.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *