News Feed

October 21, 2016 - Teenager bamboozles England Teenage off-spinner Mehedi Hasan to ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Local weed cultivation on the rise Marijuana cultivation is on the ris ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Pollard vents on his failed UAE tour PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Kie ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Teen faces indecency charge A St George teen who was charged in ... +++ October 21, 2016 - GAIA wage dispute resolution in sight A prolonged and sometimes bitter wa ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Combermere thrash Graydon Sealy Former champions Graydon Sealy had ... +++

Opposition wants commencement date for Sam Lord’s Castle hotel

Barbados Labour Party (BLP) candidate for St Philip South Indar Weir is calling on the Freundel Stuart administration to give Barbadians a clear timeline for the commencement of the construction of the Sam Lord’s Castle hotel.

Weir made the call today after touring the St Philip site where the only activity taking place was the transportation of loads of marl to the site by trucks owned by CO Williams Construction.

Weir said he had been visiting the site for the past four weekends and there was nothing to suggest that the project had started or was about to begin in the immediate future.

“I have not seen or heard of an artist impression of the project so I do not know who is the architect that is going to be doing the design. I do not know too much about information in terms of planning approval and all those things that you need before the project starts. The reality of it is that a lot of information is still missing. If this project was a go, the least you should have seen at the entrance would be an artist impression of what the project would look like, the architect, the engineers, even the contractors; and none of that is posted at the site,” Weir told Barbados TODAY.

Stressing that it was difficult to follow what Government was telling Barbadians about the project, Weir said invariably people were being told projects would begin shortly but this never happens.

“The Government creates a lot of ‘crash sites’ across the country to create the impression that the economy is doing well and projects are about to start and investment is coming. However, when it is carefully examined the commencement of projects are yet a distance off,” the BLP Public Relations Officer charged.

Wyndham announced on October 13, 2015 that it would develop the 450-room Sam Lord’s Castle Barbados, A Wyndham Grand Resort which would open in 2018.

Prime Minister Freundel Stuart broke ground in November 2015 at the 57-acre site, promising the new property would create 3,000 local jobs.

Minister of Tourism Richard Sealy, Chairman of the Barbados Tourism Investment Inc Everton Walters, architects and engineers associated with US$200 million project gathered on June 27 this year for the opening phase of the project to construct the Wyndham Hotel and the restore the historic nine-bedroom Sam Lord’s Castle.

At that time Walters had stated that contractors had indicated to the Ministry of Tourism that the demolition process would take 22 weeks and that construction would begin as soon as the architectural drawings were completed around the end of July.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *