October 20, 2016 - UPDATE: Yearwood gets bail Kwame Everton Dashawn Yearwood, 17, ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Wanted man surrenders Police  now have in custody 42-yea ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Teen charged in connection with ‘sex tape’ Police have arrested and formally c ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Teen’s living arrangements worry magistrate Information from a 17-year-old male ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Young cricketers show their mettle Reveria Cottle struck a well-played ... +++ October 20, 2016 - Look to organic farming – UNDP official A senior official of the United Nat ... +++

Another Myrie?

Jamaican woman threatens to sue Immigration over airport treatment

In a case that brings back memories of the Shanique Myrie incident nearly five-and-a-half years ago, a Jamaican woman is planning to sue the Barbados Government over the treatment she received when she visited the island on Saturday.

Twenty-four-year-old Sonya King claims she and her 14-month-old baby were treated inhumanely by the Immigration Department when they attempted to enter the country for a holiday.

King told Barbados TODAY in a telephone interview, she and the baby arrived at Grantley Adams International Airport (GAIA) from Trinidad where she has lived for the past four years, and were denied entry by the immigration officer who told her she should have gone to Jamaica instead.

King’s passport stamped by the Barbados Immigration.

King’s passport stamped by the Barbados Immigration.

King’s baby wrapped in the blanket given to her by Immigration officials.

King’s baby wrapped in the blanket given to her by Immigration officials.

“I went to Counter 3, the immigration officer asked me who I came to, I told him I came to stay at the Meridian Inn. He asked me what was my purpose of my visit and I told him I am only here for a few days.

“I gave him me and my son’s passport . . . he paused for a while and he was looking through my passport and then told me he have to bring me inside to speak to the supervisor. When he brought me inside they put me in some chairs to sit and he spoke with the supervisor,” she recalled.

King said an hour later she was asked to sit outside where she waited for hours.

Hungry, and with a restless asthmatic baby, she asked for hot water to make the child some tea, and something for her to eat.

The Jamaican woman claimed the officer told her he could not help her as the food courts were closed, and advised her to get something from the vending machine for the child.

The 24-year-old complained that things got much worse when she was given a dirty mattress on which to sleep in cold, uncomfortable conditions.

“The blanket was full of hair like other people were using it before. I use it to cover the baby because the place was really cold.”

She said the following morning the immigration officer revealed that she was not welcome in Barbados and would be returned to Trinidad.

“When they bring me outside I change the baby clothes fast and I still asking him for hot water, and he said, ‘there is no time for hot water, the flight leaving at 6 o’clock [and] they waiting for you by the gate,’” King recounted.

However, the circumstances changed after she boarded the aircraft, the Jamaica woman claimed.

She told Barbados TODAY she was escorted off the airplane by a security officer, and the immigration officer advised him to take her to the immigration desk where her denial was reversed and she was granted a two-day stay in Barbados.

King contended that as a result of the treatment she received, particularly the cold environment she and the baby were forced to endure, the child contracted a cold that triggered an asthma attack.

“I was really frustrated how they treat my baby. My baby is asthmatic, my baby was in the cold place and sitting on the mattress and whole day yesterday my son was coughing; whole day yesterday I had to give him the asthma pump.”

The change of heart by Immigration notwithstanding, King said she intended to pursue the matter legally, if only for the
baby’s sake.

“This happen to plenty other people and this has to come to an end. I am seeking to take legal action against them because my son should not have been treated this way,” she argued.

The Jamaican said the incident would not deter her from visiting Barbados again, as she received excellent treatment from the Meridan Inn where she stayed.

Three years ago the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) awarded Shanique Myrie S77,240 in damages after she successfully sued the Barbados Government.

The Jamaican had accused a female immigration officer at GAIA of finger-raping her before she was sent back to Jamaica the following day.

The CCJ ruled that Myrie was indeed wrongfully denied entry into Barbados.

Repeated attempts by Barbados TODAY to reach the Chief Immigration Officer for a comment on the latest incident were unsuccessful.

46 Responses to Another Myrie?

1. M Anthony Adamson
    M Anthony Adamson August 30, 2016 at 1:00 am

Who are these immigration officers at the GAIA that – in this case – have brought shame and disgrace to this country?? Who are they????

• miche August 30, 2016 at 7:55 am

You stupid man,,,all it took is the word of another Myrie ,to get you lambasting our officers,,,, you can’t even wait to find out truth from lie..and always ,,you believe the outsiders. stupid man you be

• harry turnover August 30, 2016 at 8:19 am

What shame and disgrace you talking bout ? don’t you know a scam when you see one ? she claimed that she lived in TnT for 4 years ….was she deported ? that case she should have gone back to Jamaica ,why did the Immigration Officer looked at her passport and referred the matter to his supervisor?
      If everything was in order there would have been no need for the matter to be sent higher.
      What dirty mattress and blanket ??…did she expect the Authorities to run and purchase a NEW mattress and blanket ?
      and the Authorities are not there to provide hot water and meals for those who do not meet the requirements for entry.
      Woman are just another Myrie looking fa money… caah ya bumbaclaut…you come here wid a plan ? the reason Myrie got money was due to the incompetence of the Lawyers representing the State…just looking fa more publicity than Myrie.

• Donild Trimp August 30, 2016 at 12:23 pm

M Anthony Adamson, you are an ass. Noncitizens of Barbados do not have an inherent right to enter Barbados, get that in your stupid head.

Immigration Officers in any country anywhere in the entire world can refuse entry to anyone who is not a citizen of that particular country.

When will ignorant uninformed people like you get that in your stupid head?

2. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor August 30, 2016 at 1:15 am

How ya does get a cold again? Cause ya know wunna ppl saying ya does get liverspots from drinkin sweet drinks… Liverspots are fungui and a cold is a virus! Stupse… She barely lookin fa money……

• miche August 30, 2016 at 7:57 am

With persons like Anthony Adamson around,,she just may

• Leroy August 30, 2016 at 10:39 pm

A cold can be caused by a sudden or sustained change in temperature causing your body to react negatively and creating the conditions for a cold

• harry turnover August 31, 2016 at 6:48 am

Nonsense Leroy ! a cold comes from a VIRUS mate. In your case EVERYTIME one uses the shower or go into the sea that too is a sudden or sustained change in temperature and therefore according to your theory NUFF people would get colds.
        What a sudden change in temperature could do is to give an asthmatic and attack

3. Sherlock Holmes. August 30, 2016 at 2:28 am

Finger raping her? What a crude statement to place in this article,however i am of the opinion that this is another calculated attempt to extort the government of Barbados.These Jamaican nationals are often deported from Trinidad and they literally return to their homeland without much fan fare or fuss, they literally do so with their tails between their legs they go back home and beg their Government to impose sanctions on goods coming from Trinidad,but when they come here and are questioned and face deportation it is always about bringing legal action against this country and purely because an idiotic precedent in my opinion was set.Lady i believe you came here with the Myrie incident foremost in your mind as you believe this country is some sort of cash cow for persons like you who go to other countries and when you do not meet immigration requirements you are deported and not a whimper, but as soon as your ilk arrive here everything is wrong in the way you have been handled so it is time for the courts. The sad thing is the local media engage in promoting your stories without at times getting the real hard facts,and by the time real evidence is garnered the bull,no pun intended has bolted the pen.This is happening for me too often,and it needs to be arrested we cannot have persons believing that because of a ruling they can come here and constantly cry foul and then laugh all the way to the bank, this matter needs to be properly investigated on both sides for transparency for i fail to believe that immigration officers in like of the Myrie ruling would be reckless in their handling of such matters when they would be aware that their actions have been already been placed under public and worldwide scrutiny, this story unfortunately is yet to be bought by me.

4. Kay Critchlow
    Kay Critchlow August 30, 2016 at 3:49 am

No matter what you should never ever treat a baby this way these people should hang their heads in shame.

• miche August 30, 2016 at 7:58 am

And you said this because??????These people would use Christ ,far less a baby to get their desire

• harry turnover August 30, 2016 at 8:41 am

Tell she miche !! she like she doan know the extent to which people would go to execute their plan.

• harry turnover August 30, 2016 at 8:37 am

….and how did they treat the baby ?? are you saying that they should have put on water and heat it ? that is NOT their job..suppose they had burned down de place.
      The rooms at the Airport are AIR CONDITIONED…obviously she is going to say it was cold and furthermore they provided her with a blanket when SHE SHOULD HAVE TRAVELED with one and the one provided would have been an additional one
      Furthermore normally it is MUCH colder on an Aircraft…did she complained to the crew ?
      “The baby pampers were soaking wet, I wasn’t allowed to touch my suitcase and the baby started to get sleepy and frustrated,” she said.”
      Then she should have had the necessary baby things at hand in her hand bag and furthermore it was NOT the Authorities fault that the baby started to get sleepy and frustrated….it was through your SCAM…. maam.
      SHAME on you….ya using ya baby to get money ??…go see de baby fadda.

5. Observer August 30, 2016 at 5:43 am

Barbados authority at the airport what’s going on up there what you guy’s did to that lady and child wasn’t good at all thats in humane come on guys that’s a bag stigma,especially a lesson should be learn from pass experience,we have bajans all over the world, Barbados government and tax payers can’t afford that again.

• miche August 30, 2016 at 8:05 am

Observer,you seem to be one of the most one sided persons around,,,you took all the facts from one side and came to the decision that she is Bible mouth Jamaican, authorities at the Airport are devils,,,why,,,,,because she says,,?

• miche August 30, 2016 at 8:07 am

I will like to come to your home, and leave there ,go straight to the police and say that you molested me,,,,and like you,,,they believe me

6. Smiley August 30, 2016 at 7:18 am

This is a fraudulent case I hope it gets no further scam artists if she was in England it would be cold ,the blanket looks fine to me why she as a mother didn’t have one .Barbados wake up don’t be the laughing stock of the world. You were ready to fingerprint us now get ready to defend our borders from these Jamaican scam artists.Sue her instead for extortion.NOT ONE BLIND CENT OF MY TAXES TO YOU MYRIE SISTER.

7. Sue Donym August 30, 2016 at 7:34 am

I can understand the concerns for the baby – feeding, changing, but I’m still perplexed at the part where Ms King is asked her reason for being in Barbados and she reportedly responded that she’s “only here for a few days”.

8. Josh August 30, 2016 at 8:29 am

The immigration officers act as the ‘face’ of the island as they are the first people visitors see upon entry. Whether the officer acted with due cause or not by denying this young lady and her child entry can only be determined once the officer’s side of the story is heard, the fact that the original decision was eventually over turned infers that the rational was flawed. Notwithstanding the appropriateness of the officers decision, there was no need to treat this young lady and her child so inhumanely and that in my view is the central issue of this story. These officers, have too much autonomy and are able to apply their discretion (and perhaps own prejudices) outside of any obvious framework. As a consequence they are acquiring a reputation of being rude and disrespectful which is detrimental to Barbados as the island relies on visitors / tourists for its economic survival. The comments about the immigration staff on the website cited in an article in another newspaper last week bears testimony to this and should be considered a national disgrace.

Of course Barbados has the right to control its borders and deny entry to individuals but it needs to do so in a manner that is fair, consistent, transparent and professional.

• Donild Trimp August 30, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Josh, have you ever traveled outside of Barbados?

An immigration officer can deny entry to anyone who is not a citizen of that country and they don’t have to fair, transparent or consistent about it.

As a matter of fact, an immigration officer can look at you and if he or she decide in their mind they don’t like you, if you are not a citizen, your backside can be sent packing to where-ever the hell your originated from.

• Josh August 30, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I have travelled extensively for your information and my rudest encounters with immigration officials have been in Russia, Dominican Republic and Barbados in that order and I have never been refused entry to any country.

The point is when tourism is your bread and butter you accommodate people and treat them respectably as you are acting as an ambassador for the country.

The fact that these IOs constantly choose to focus their bad treatment upon their Caribbean brethren is a case in point. I very much doubt any white tourist would be treated in this manner.

But the reality is, if there is another 9/11, Barbados who relies significantly on tourism to survive will need the very same said Caribbean islanders they are seeking to alienate and lets not even begin to consider the implications if these same islands refuse to export food and oil to Barbados. There is always a bigger picture and that’s why its important to ensure that the IO’s are trained and operate with integrity. Unlike other countries, it feels like the IO’s here behave a certain way because they can rather than because they have a high level of suspicion or an evidence base.

9. Menace II Babylon August 30, 2016 at 8:31 am

To Sue, I have been in Trinidad with just a haversack and I told them I jus come up for a few days to chill with some freinds of mine? What’s wrong with that, listen I left Jamtown yesterday over in DC for a a while and I will say that is plastered all over the news. Highly embarrassing, may not be to u but it is and always negative. I will say it as the level of professionalism depicted by GIA is disgusting to our neighbours. As a proud Bajan I will admit that some of us we have a cosmopolitan attitude, colonised and extremely xenophobic attitude to our brothers and sisters. If it ain’t Jamaica, it is GT, if not it is TNT or my Vinci family etc. You understand the level of exposure shanique brought you think they will be better prepared. You cannot treat human beings with such disdain. I am a professional Rastafari and I was going home with the kids and was stopped by a very unprofessional woman whose face looked like she did not want to be at work. Maybe it was me as she took and instant dislike. So using my poetic liscence I enquired as I was coming from London, she ignored me and asked me to bring my suitcase, I refused, you want it you move it as the level of customer service was nowhere to be seen. They dug up my luggage whilst causus on the same flight she even broke the screw to smile at a caucus tourist, I lit her on fire, then I poured gasoline on her racist ideology and they called security, good as I in the mood. Listen they smile with causus and wish them a happy holiday whilst using stereotypes, nationalities to single out and victimise. I am a proud Bajan and have gotten into my heated debates defending my country but you set yourself up time and time again by our services which are geared towards tourism is our business lets play our part, the you speak about encouraging the diaspora when your whole tourism package is geared towards caucus visitors.

Disgusted at this behaviour and smiley etc you need to open your sub conscious, you need to drop all that scam artist and negative innuendoes as I can assure you Barbados has the most cocaine not weed, as internationally we are know for fantastic cocaine, and some of the biggest automatic rifles on the block. Look don’t throw stones if you life in a glas but.

Disgusted when I saw that and it was brought to me whilst enjoying a meal at Mobay Proper as my accent is strong …… Tired being embarrassed….

• harry turnover August 30, 2016 at 8:55 am

In THIS case the Immigration Officer WAS NOT disrespectful to the woman.
      Only the Officer and the Supervisor at that time knew why the matter was sent higher.
      Since the Myrie incident Jamaicans have come here UNMOLESTED …some have come here loaded with DRUGS some in their PRIVATES as well….and now this one OBVIOUSLY of concern to the Authorities and you don’t know the FACTS leads an onslaught on the Immigration Officers.
      I, however, agree that some Immigration Officers act as though the Airport belongs to them and are mostly uncouth but as I said YOU don’t know the facts in this case and you are judging all Officers from what happened to you.

• Sue Donym August 30, 2016 at 10:23 am

Hi, Menace II Babylon. Purpose of visit is not the same as expected length of stay. If a visitor is unprepared for that question, she’d have to be a first timer, as that is the most asked first question of anyone seeking to enter another’s country.

An immigration officer examines people’s credibility, sometimes with the simplest questions. Surely a well travelled person as yourself understands that deterring non-genuine applicants is also a part of the Immigration Officer’s duties. There should be no excuses for that. That said, let me add that being uncouth and unprofessional are not what I am referring to, but what country wants to be known for laxness or have their borders treated like a dance hall entrance?

10. Sherlock Holmes. August 30, 2016 at 8:36 am

The thing is this the summer and outside during the day and nights are so bloody hot, if that room is air conditioned why did you not speak of having the officers turn it off, or reduce it’s temperature ? These days and nights are at time very hot this is another fraudster at work and another thing who for a sensible mother would place a baby on a bed with so much hair,as you put it or even soiled sheets,without first trying to remove all of these things that would be detrimental to child? A mother with genuine concern for their child would have tried to remove anything from that bed that would pose a problem to the child even if it meant clearing a small area on the bed that would in her opinion pose a problem to her child. I now have to ask is this room air conditioned and if so why did you not request that the unit was turned down to a level that made you and your child comfortable, right now it is so hot at nights that i myself wished i was in the comfort of some air conditioned breeze, lady if you are having problems with financial support in anyway for yourself or …..who knows, Barbados is not and will not be the ATM for those who come here and try to take advantage of a previous ruling by a court, which has seemingly left the gate open literally for those who have believe that we are bullied into forking out cash at every time someone cries foul on our immigration officers. We cannot allow our immigration officers to feel as though they are powerless when it comes to executing their duties either,it will create an situation where they will become timid in dealing with these people who it is clear have this agenda,i say to the officers of immigration do your jobs, they go to countries like England and the United states of America if they can really get there and when they encounter the immigration officials from those countries they comply to the fullest and if they are detained and sent back it is no major story to report to the press, heck they are sent back from Trinidad weekly and it is no big deal. We must not cower in fear because of these allegations our borders must be protected from those who bring drugs here, and those who come here with the Myrie precedent foremost in their minds to achieve personal financial gain by crying foul at every chance they get, it must not be allowed to happen.

11. Sherlock Holmes. August 30, 2016 at 8:50 am

Menace who cares and what is a professional Rastafari? These people are mendacious and as you have so rightfully put it the Myrie case has thought them a lot, it was not only a wake up call for our immigration officers so to speak.

12. harry turnover August 30, 2016 at 9:11 am

Myries’ MAIN grouse was that someone FINGER RAPED her.That was THROWN through the window.
    It was proven that Myrie LIED up front but to the SURPRISE of MANY the people at the CCJ BELIEVED her on other matters and awarded her damages BECAUSE according to some Treaty Bdos acted wrongfully in denying her entry.
    The Jamaican Lawyers knew that there would have been no case with regards the finger raping issue so they proceeded with the “denied entry”.
    This woman apparently came here with the knowledge that her stay will be questioned,that she would have been detained overnight and with a baby that people might believe her. that is why she is so INTERESTED in going ahead with the case saying it is ONLY for the baby’ sake ALTHOUGH her stay is now approved.

13. Josh August 30, 2016 at 9:53 am

Her stay was approved AFTER she was detained and made to sleep on a mattress on the floor. She was then put on a plane to be deported and then taken off and told she could stay for two days. I’m sorry but anyone, irrespective of their birth origin, would complain after being subjected to this type of treatment – I sure would, especially if I were travelling with a child.

There is a problem with the way the Bajan Immigration Officers behave which is compromising Barbados’ desire to be a destination of choice for anyone. Burying ones head in the sand and continually blaming the recipient of the poor behaviour is not helpful in this regard. In particular, determining one’s motivation to visit a country based on prejudicial and stereotypical views with little evidence to support those assertions is the reason we are here again and will keep returning to this point until immigration staff are properly trained and held accountable.

Have a read of the comments on the following website and then tell me you’d be rushing as a tourist to visit Barbados.

• Marva August 30, 2016 at 11:52 am

The first three will make you lose the points you are trying to score… being charge duties an issue; how much was the person bring in, what type of things etc…
      2. being deported from the US and denied entry, was he a Barbadian national?
      real doh… these top two lick you up.

• Josh August 30, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Maybe, you should go on and read the rest of the comments and arrive at a more balanced perspective.

14. Marva August 30, 2016 at 11:21 am

Was this baby taken to the doctor following this asthma attack? How are we to substantiate that claim/ The baby looks comfortable in the picture… allowing his picture to be taken rather than fretfully clinging or reaching out for his mum.
    I read in the Jamaica observer where she said (and I quote)
    “I flew from Trinidad to Barbados and when I got to the airport (Saturday night) I could feel the hostility before I even stepped up to immigration.” From whence did it stem?
    Did she come with a negative attitude which soiled her approach to the officials or did she know of an issue that would make her questionable? We flying into other countries with positive expectations, excitement to see a new place etc. Maybe with our excitement a little checked due to the possibility that wherever we go in the world, that country can question us and refuse us entry. But she felt hostility in other words she brought it with her.

15. Sam Pillie August 30, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Some immigration officers need to be re-trained, fired or transfer from the Airport for real.

In April 2014, after the government said that we should encourage foreigners to invest in Barbados, I invited a very wealthy person to Barbados after they showed interest in investing three million $US here. This person owns a HVAC company, an industrial laundry and two hotels in Africa.

Upon arrival to Barbados on a British Airways flight a female supervisor in immigration refuse her entry and told her that we don’t need people like her here in Barbados. After I waited for a while and not seeing my guest depart from the arrival hall, I saw a immigration officer I knew and explain the situation, his reply was that the female supervisor on duty is a very rude person and he cannot speak with her, and that I should not mention his name because she would fire or transfer him.

This prospective investor was turned away and sent back on the British Airways flight because of a tired and rude immigration supervisor. The investor then wrote a letter to me asking why should they invest in a country with such rude immigration officers and went on to explain everything that happened while speaking to immigration upon arrival. I then took this letter to my parliamentary representative who agreed that this should have never happened and that he would deal with it through the minister responsible.

This investor was so very disappointed that they wrote a letter to the Attorney General and the Minister of Foreign Affairs copying me, and up to this day no one in Government have responded.

So when I hear things about immigration treatment, nothing surprise me and I sometimes wonder when will some of the (RUDE) immigration officers be trained, transferred or FIRED, because it does not look good for a country who’s main foreign exchange earner is tourism.

16. Menace II Babylon August 30, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Blessed luv sue, sister from another mother your point is appreciated

@Sherlock, I am a Rastafarian that chose to study long and hard to go after my Bachelors Degree. I am assimilated into babylon and contemplating if to further it but my interest is in farming. Love the sheep, cow and farming with a level of passion. Unmeasurable. I am extremely comfortable trodding though the bush, bare back and barefoot but equally in my John Varvatos and Gieves & Hawkes. Can stand in high court, magistrates or youth court and fly the flag of Rastafari. Good enough explanation for for you?

Did England and America sign the The Treaty of Chaguaramas?

Is Barbados a part of the 28 European Union?

Is Barbados a part of the Schengen Agreement?

Answer is a resounding no. Countries look out for their members and any signed agreed agreement to move freely, it does not apply to Caricom, Akebullan or any of the latter where negroes are predominant or better yet using the insulting term of third world countries.

We are quick to jump at the how Amerikkka and London reacts when there is nothing in place to protect us. Anyone would think as a Bajan you are guaranteed entry. We get sent home too. Would Britain refuse a Polish person entry? Maybe a german? Would America refuse a Canadian or some one from Hawaii? Criminality of course but with no justified means … No

You know how much bajans lock up in London for high quality cocaine? You know how much man I personally no doing 12 and some 32 for double murder. Do a Google search,. You know how much caught at JFK or Ronald Regain with liquid cocaine We cannot be so literal and visual. Is that how cocaine gets in the island? By couriers swallowing mainly weed? Listen, Before i used to work within the hospitality industry as a butler in my 20,s and a Wine Sommelier wasted two years of studying which is of no use to me other than selecting a nice wine at dinner.

I have done my time on the new plantations in Mariners and exquisite villas and I overheard a lot and witnessed too much. Barbados is not know for weed. You need to understand this and recognise internationally we are know for fantastic cocaine. Some of you are extremely visual. Guided by media which directs your strain of thought.

They have a job to do and it’s appreciated but the methodology behind it. Barbados practices xenophobia to the art of a PHD, we could publish papers on the correct way to stigmatise, ostracise and visibly violate the rights of our Caricom neighbours . We got so good at it that it is passed through generational links to keep it solid. We have to establish a fair way of working with Caricom. Either that or pull out or go it alone which has surely been debated behind closed Doors. I will say that our land is flat and vulnerable to extreme weather, I hope we dont need assistance from our neighbours.

It is embarrassing as a seasoned traveller to see how we treat our own. How much Jamaicans you know Sherlock? Do you visit them? Do they visit you? I hope quite a few as you seem to be an intelligent person. Don’t know if you m/f? You can not stigmatise a nation cause of a few bad apples. Barbados full of sodomites and regionally I have heard the on,y straight man is Nelson. Are we all sodomites? No. Now spent 5 days, as I needed to come DC and sort some family stuff, and all I plead ain’t push my hand in my wallet once. Pure love and food. I know it’s there but the typical vibe of Yardie mentality was not present. You bajans have this thing all is criminals and it is enough to make me puke. I was surrounded by engineers, principals, nurses, soildiers, and people from MOCA who investigate corruption in politics, police and soldiers. Upright farmers with over 400 heads of cattle and farming my thing so I learnt a lot in the bush. Not everyone that comes to our shores has unscrupulous intentions. If true I want she sue us, if not dismiss it but it is a known fact you treat Caricom members with disdain. This ain’t new. So don’t act all shocked.

I was enjoying a meal at Mobay proper as I speak and socialise with everybody. Whilst tucking into my meal a stranger who heard my accent walked up, front age observer wha gwan Baje? Ah so unnatural wanna treat woman and pickney? I was like again, cuz I hope it ain’t true was all I could say. You cannot continue to violate people with no viable proof or audit trail not because of their nationality.

I will say again that not every Jamaican comes with unscrupulous intention to our 166.

So it don’t matter Sherlock what is a professional Rastafari.

What matters is that Barbados practices and encourages inter generational xenophobia. It is not on.

I pray you never need help from a neighbour.

17. Joy August 30, 2016 at 3:35 pm

How many Jamaicans are let in to Barbados for every one
    denied entry? The statistics will show that thousands enter each year with no problem so to cry xenophobia is absolute nonsense.

18. BoboTheClown August 30, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Why are people so ignorant ?If indeed this woman and baby were denied entry to Barbados and held overnight pending deportation next day ,why weren’t someone realize that there was a baby involved that needed to be taken care of.In any other Country some empathy and thought would have been given regarding the welfare of the child . If indeed her story is believable ,the Officer or Officers involved should face some form of training in how to treat situations differently. There is no reason the Child should have been denied a change in diapers.I would think that any sensible person would have allowed the mother to take Diapers from her Suitcase even if it was under the watchful eye of an Officer. And to deny her that priviledge if it indeed happen is down right mean.
    Why was she allowed to stay in Barbados after being held overnight and not only that ,after boarding a flight next morning was somehow deemed admissible? Something smells here .
    Maybe someone came to their sense and suddenly realized that there were no legal grounds for refusing this lady and her baby entry. I ‘ll be listening ,because the real truth might come out one day soon.

19. Sheron Inniss August 30, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Bobo I agree with you.

20. harry turnover August 30, 2016 at 5:36 pm

” I flew from Trinidad to Barbados and when I got to the airport (Saturday night) I COULD FEEL THE HOSTILITY BEFORE I EVEN STEPPED UP TO IMMIGRATION. I went up to the immigration officer and explained my purpose for visiting and having my baby with me. The very moment the immigration officer heard my accent and viewed my passport, my situation changed for the worst,” she said.
    That extract was taken from the JAMAICAN OBSERVER.That is what that scam artist told them.See those words in bold letters ….that is evidence enough to show it was all a PLAN.
    She want to SUE ? let her sue…..she’ll be a dead duck in a hurry !

21. Josh August 30, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Harry, do you work for immigration? You sound like you do.

• harry turnover August 30, 2016 at 7:51 pm

Don’t see the connection mate…..and I am not a Lawyer either BUT those words in bold would be meat and drink for a Lawyer even one that is fresh out of Law School….a sort of malice aforethought ??
      …and who said she was MADE to sleep on a mattress on the ground ?…at gunpoint ? What would you like the Authorities to do with persons who come with HOSTILITY in their veins and to embarrass and make a mockery of YOUR Country…..provide four poster beds and furnished rooms with Multi Choice channels?
      Josh,you sound like someone who is easily fooled .Ever heard the term ” all that glitters is not gold ” ?

22. Sherlock Holmes. August 30, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Turnover you and i seldom agree but i give you full marks for your keen observations as one who has been in law enforcement for many years you too have made some very keen observations, by the way menace i love farming too, i have sheep and cows, but i know Jamaicans are very patriotic and yes i had the occasion to interact with them on varying levels and they stick together stronger than super glue, something which is sadly lacking among us Bajans, we would sell each other for pottage and i do not and will not subscribe to that. I see fraud all over this case and Mr Turn over has eluded to some already, this is a poor fabrication that is calculated and intended to extort money from this country period and i done with that.

• harry turnover August 30, 2016 at 8:55 pm

…and I too give you full marks for your in depth observations Sherlock ,well done again.It is a pity some others can’t see this as a case to extract more money from Barbados Authorities.

23. harry turnover August 30, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Sonya King …there are over 300,000 ILLITERATE Jamaicans running bout Jamaica and overseas and you sound like one ah dem.
    You got a baby…….common sense should have kicked in and alerted you that if one is traveling at home or on a plane one should have an adequate amount of PAMPERS and a bottle of warm baby milk in your HANDBAG….nabody en tell you dat ?you doan know that the same way you does travel with your stuff for when that time of the month is near…..the same goes for a baby.
    …..and the baby en just born,therefore YOU KNEW THAT so doan come wid dat mumbo jumbo Bull SH8 blaming the Immigration for not warming water nonsense and if you didn’t like the blanket…YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD A PROPER ONE….FOURTEEN FRIGGIN MONTHS AGO….wha ya do wid de money de child fadda gi ya.. ya buy bleach ??

24. Clarence Edwards August 30, 2016 at 10:24 pm

People need not to rush to judgement; this sounds to me like some smart scheme on the part of this young lady to try her hand at obtaining some easy cash; given the previous incident with Shanique Myrie. We need to allow the authorities to conduct their investigation and then we can either criticize or praise the results. While the claim by the young lady could be genuine, I am not convinced that this is not a concoction on her part, using the baby as a ploy to derive sympathy. Women are exceedingly clever at manipulating these kinds of schemes; let’s not rule that out.

25. Sheron Inniss August 31, 2016 at 8:58 am

If it is a scam and the lady wins some money the Bajan taxpayers have to foot that bill. If she is being truthful the same applies. Immigration is a sensitive area, but sometimes a little common sense can go a long way in resolving touchy situations. I do not believe in comparing bad with worse or looking at what other countries do. I think our airport should have a decent holding cell so that when such incidents occur there can be no finger pointing. But what happen to the cameras? I still think it was an error, if the story is true, to be inhumane to that baby. Asthma is not easy to deal with. Funny enough in all my years of travelling I was treated sh*tty at our airport. That was my worse experience. Makes me go hmmm.

• harry turnover September 2, 2016 at 7:47 pm

“If it is a SCAM and the lady WINS some money the Bajan taxpayers have to foot that bill.”
      What are you saying maam ?? the COURTS is the ONLY entity to declare it a SCAM…are you therefore saying that BDOS still has to fork out money although the evidence WAS PROVEN TO BE A SCAM ???
      …….and if the child is ASTHMATIC she should have had the Ventolin and Becotide Inhalers with her ALL THE TIME.
      That is what the DOCTORS AND NURSES SAY ALL THE TIME as they contain the SAME MEDICINE the Hospital uses in their nebulizers .

26. Joy September 1, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Now that the Ministry of Defence and Security has published the statistics showing only 3% of Jamaicans have been denied entry to Barbados, maybe the people who are quick to cry xenophobia will look for another argument.