Lightning strike kills more than 300 reindeers in Norway

STOCKHOLM (AP) — More than 300 wild reindeer have been killed by lightning in central Norway.

The Norwegian Environment Agency has released eerie images showing a jumble of reindeer carcasses scattered across a small area on the Hardangervidda mountain plateau. The agency says 323 animals were killed, including 70 calves, in the lightning storm Friday.

Agency spokesman Kjartan Knutsen told The Associated Press it’s not uncommon for reindeer or other wildlife to be killed by lightning strikes but this was an unusually deadly event.

“We have not heard about such numbers before,” he said Monday.

He said reindeer tend to stay very close to each other in bad weather, which could explain how so many were killed at once.

“I don’t know if there were several lightning strikes,” he said. “But it happened in one moment.”

Knutsen said the agency is now discussing what to do with the dead animals. Normally, they are just left where they fall to let nature take its course, he said.

Thousands of reindeer migrate across the barren Hardangervidda plateau as the seasons change.

26 Responses to Lightning strike kills more than 300 reindeers in Norway

Maria Paul-Car August 29, 2016 at 3:54 pm

What will Santa do now?

5. Travis Stoute
    Travis Stoute August 29, 2016 at 5:14 pm

WHY???????

6. john browning August 29, 2016 at 5:15 pm

ReindeerS? Where did you learn this word? the plural of reindeer is reindeer.

7. Curious August 29, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Reindeers?????

8. Gloria Springer
    Gloria Springer August 29, 2016 at 7:00 pm

O deer

9. Horace McDonald
    Horace McDonald August 29, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Yet another Caribbean travel experience gone bad.

Barbados immigration officers at the Grantley Adams International Airport are being highlighted by Sonya King who traveled to the island recently.

King in an interview with the Jamaica Observer recounted what she describes as a horrific ordeal endured by herself and her 14-month-old son Kaleb Joseph Saturday night leading into early Sunday morning, when they sought entry into the country.

See Excerpt Below:

She explained that she has lived in Trinidad & Tobago for the past four years, but decided that she wanted to visit Barbados along with her son, for the experience.

“I always hear people talk bad about Barbados immigration system but we have a saying in Jamaica that ‘puss and dog don’t have the same luck’, so I put the negative behind me and pursued the trip,” King stated.

I flew from Trinidad to Barbados and when I got to the airport (Saturday night) I could feel the hostility before I even stepped up to immigration. I went up to the immigration officer and explained my purpose for visiting and having my baby with me. The very moment the immigration officer heard my accent and viewed my passport, my situation changed for the worst,” she said.

“The officer stamped ‘denied entry’ in my book and he went further by saying that I’m going back on a Caribbean Airlines plane as soon as one is available and they will also call the authorities in Trinidad to deport me to Jamaica. When I asked what was the issue they said I should not have come there, I should have returned to Jamaica first. They asked for my marriage certificate, I showed them and they asked to see a return ticket and my sister sent it through WhatsApp and I showed them,” King went on.

But, according to King the real nightmare began when she was refused water to make tea for her baby and her suitcases were taken from her and her son and herself were “forced to sleep on the ground on a dirty mattress and sheet which was covered in hair.

“By this time it was about 3:00 am (Sunday morning) we still had nowhere to sleep and the baby was getting fussy. A kettle and a microwave was in full sight of me and I asked them for some warm water to make some tea for the baby and they said they can’t help me. The officer that was there asked if I had money and said I should put money into the vending machine and give the baby a juice.

“The baby’s diapers were soaked and the diapers in my handbag were already used up and they wouldn’t allow me to get my luggage to change him. Eventually we were forced to sleep on the ground on a dirty mattress and sheet which was covered in hair. My baby is asthmatic and he started coughing because he was cold. I felt like a animal, lower than dirt,” King said.

Moreover, she said when the flight back to Trinidad came and she was escorted by a security officer to the plane, a change of fate occurred, as the immigration officer informed the security to take her back to the immigration desk, where her no ‘entry stamp’ was cancelled and she was granted two days stay in Barbados.

But, despite being eventually being granted access to Barbados, King said she is calling on the foreign affairs ministers of both countries to intervene, as what she described as the inhumane behaviour towards Jamaicans by the Caribbean Community (Caricom) family was “unacceptable” and needed immediate attention.

There was no immediate response from Barbados Immigration.

10. john browning August 29, 2016 at 8:13 pm

The plural of reindeer is reindeer!

11. Lisa De Souza