October 24, 2016 - Police probe death at Golden Ridge, St George Police are investigating the sudden ... +++ October 24, 2016 - Possible funding for NGOs The Division of Economic Affairs ha ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Barbados welcomes MV Viking Star The MV Viking Star docked for the f ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Griffith wins BLP nomination in St John   Charles Griffith will repres ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Hudson Griffith withdraws from BLP nomination for St John seat     As supporters of the ... +++ October 23, 2016 - Chelsea thrash Mourinho’s United 4-0 Source: AFP- LONDON, United Kingdom ... +++

Horror at home

Robbers shoot and kill husband on movie night, spare pregnant wife

A movie night in their living room turned deadly for 47-year-old Andre Hinds when intruders used a crowbar to force their way into his Northumberland, St Lucy home and shot him multiple times just after 10 o’clock last night.

The two armed men then turned their guns at Hinds’ Vincentian wife Jalitha, but she pleaded with them not to shoot, telling them that she was seven months pregnant.

“She say ‘but me pregnant, me pregnant’. Then they say, ‘well you give me what you got, everything’. And she started to hand them everything and then they ran outside and the people next door came to her rescue,” the deceased’s sister Lisa Hinds told Barbados TODAY, repeating what she was told by her sister-in-law about the horror she faced.

Marlene Hinds (left) and her daughter mourning the death of their loved one.

Marlene Hinds (left) and her daughter mourning the death of their loved one.

The men made their escape with an undisclosed, yet small amount of money.

Hinds had attempted to flee from the bandits even while under fire. He managed to make it to the back of the house where he died minutes later before neighbours who had responded to Jalitha’s screams had attempted to assist Hinds. His final words to them were: “They shoot me.”

Relatives said the young wife, believed to be in her 20’s, was not handling the ordeal well and had to be hospitalized for observation after her blood pressure climbed to a startling high.

Andre Hinds was shot and killed by armed bandits at his St Lucy home last night.

“I don’t know how people could be so wicked. You mean they got the money and they still shoot him? I really don’t know how people could be so wicked,” the sister cried as she called for the perpetrators to be caught and made to feel the full weight of the law.

Barbados TODAY understands that the couple had earlier heard “strange noises” and had gone to investigate, but saw nothing. Moments later the men ripped the door and started pushing the husband around, demanding that the couple hand over their valuables. One of the armed men is believed to have been injured during the altercation.

Placing her head on the living room table at her Greenidges, St Lucy home, Hinds’ elderly mother Marlene barely managed to get any words out.

She explained the turmoil within, having to come to grips with the fact that hours after seeing the eldest of her three children at the polyclinic, she was looking at him in a body bag.

“It got me weak and shaky. I falling down when I try to walk. He was the best, not because he was my one, because he respect me to the end. You can go in the district and ask anybody,” a sobbing Marlene said.

Hinds, the father of a daughter in her 20s, was a small farmer who raised livestock on property near his home.

Police carrying out investigations at the scene where Andre Hinds was killed last night.

His mother said she shuddered to think what could have happened to her unborn grandchild and daughter-in-law had there been no money at the house at the time.

“He does keep money there because he like to know he got money because his wife pregnant,” Marlene said.

When Barbados TODAY visited the scene around midday, residents were trying to make sense of the tragedy. Some described the deceased as a mannerly individual who never passed by without saying a quiet hello.

One resident who requested anonymity said she saw Hinds yesterday evening when he stopped to ask how she was doing while she was gardening.

“He was always quite respectful. Once I step out on my gallery and he pull up there he would say hello. Sometimes he would give a joke and go along about his business,” the resident said.

“It was so sad to see his wife walking with a torchlight to somebody house screaming ‘them kill he’. You imagine them see that man wife big pregnant and tek he away from she? What Barbados really coming to though? I just can’t understand how you could go in a man house and kill he,” she added.

14 Responses to Horror at home

1. Christine Carol-ann Ceecee Waithe
    Christine Carol-ann Ceecee Waithe August 27, 2016 at 12:52 am

I just don’t know….

2. June Willia
    June Willia August 27, 2016 at 1:25 am

Wicked people don’t want to work. May his soul rest in peace and perpetual light shine upon him, my condolences to the family..

3. Christopher Macauley
    Christopher Macauley August 27, 2016 at 1:58 am

im one of them people who is against the death penalty, but when your hear these stories, i want them killed right now…

4. Joceline Blackett
    Joceline Blackett August 27, 2016 at 2:08 am

May his gentle soul rest in peace. Condolences to his family, friends and neighbours. I hope these scumbags will be caught swiftly and justice be served. Pure evil they are.

5. Jada Phenix
    Jada Phenix August 27, 2016 at 2:26 am

Those murderers killed someone whose poor just like themselves… How much money then get? How many committed that murder? Blacks are their own enemies. Barbados needs the death penalty back…not the hangman… The electric chair and burn those cold blooded monsters to death.

6. Tony Webster August 27, 2016 at 2:55 am

What are we celebrating? A number? A trumpet voluntary to announce General Elections? We have indeed achieved significant material and social gains, the but seem to be voluntarily blind at the MANY elephants in the room, ( or giant warts on the fair face of this country), when we allow a few ( and these few are NOT confined to criminals) to disparage, denigrate, and destroy the contributions of the average Bajan, over several generations , post independence. This family has been wantonly, and totally, and permanently destroyed. Just like the St. George family many years back. We have NO assurance , or expectation, that swift justice will follow, and indeed, in a few years, the culprits could be out on bail, and ready to ” roll-over” another innocent family. A horror; a national disgrace, by any view. And still….the guns come.

Yes, to achnowledge tees is inconvenient, and embarrassing, but realities must be faced, and dealt with. And the Truth shall make us MORE free; MORE proud; and MORE industrious.

• miche August 27, 2016 at 6:27 am

Tony,If you have nothing to say,,,Say nothing. You don’t have to comment on every post,,,It is better to keep your mouth shut and be taught a fool,,than to open it,,thus removing all doubt

• harry turnover September 1, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Miche…glad you pulled him up.This guy just comes and says a lot of rhetoric on every topic over and over again.
        It got to the stage that WHENEVER I see Tony Webster I would just scroll down and look for SENSIBLE comments

7. Harry Bradshaw August 27, 2016 at 9:19 am

@ miche…Perfect reply to Tony Webster the stuff he writes makes me shudder that they are more people who think like him living in my beautiful Barbados. The man says nothing positive or uplifting.

8. ejd August 27, 2016 at 9:26 am

Resume hanging. Don’t listen to the AG.

9. Brewster August 27, 2016 at 4:51 pm

This has bought tears to my ears. OMG what is happening? I hear endless notices of shooting and what not, but no way was I ready for such callousness. This is heart-breaking news to gun down the man in his home with his family. No heart even for a pregnant wife. There is only one sure thing to do when they find them, HANG THEM! RIP My bajan brother and my deepest sympathy to his family.

10. Brewster August 27, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Should read ‘eyes’.

11. Debera August 28, 2016 at 9:51 pm

This make my body shake,the AG needs to be real serious there are monsters around,that poor young lady I could imaging,lord put put your appearance in I ask thee please,and protect us that are close to you amen.

12. kathy-Ann Clarke September 1, 2016 at 3:46 pm

May Andre rest in peace. I hope his wife and the unborn are doing well. Hope she still will have a safe pregnancy. The cold-hearted robbers need to be put up be Nelson statue and castrated, with the whole of Barbados watching. But justice will be served. God is not sleeping.