Horror at home

Robbers shoot and kill husband on movie night, spare pregnant wife

A movie night in their living room turned deadly for 47-year-old Andre Hinds when intruders used a crowbar to force their way into his Northumberland, St Lucy home and shot him multiple times just after 10 o’clock last night.

The two armed men then turned their guns at Hinds’ Vincentian wife Jalitha, but she pleaded with them not to shoot, telling them that she was seven months pregnant.

“She say ‘but me pregnant, me pregnant’. Then they say, ‘well you give me what you got, everything’. And she started to hand them everything and then they ran outside and the people next door came to her rescue,” the deceased’s sister Lisa Hinds told Barbados TODAY, repeating what she was told by her sister-in-law about the horror she faced.

Marlene Hinds (left) and her daughter mourning the death of their loved one.
Marlene Hinds (left) and her daughter mourning the death of their loved one.

The men made their escape with an undisclosed, yet small amount of money.

Hinds had attempted to flee from the bandits even while under fire. He managed to make it to the back of the house where he died minutes later before neighbours who had responded to Jalitha’s screams had attempted to assist Hinds. His final words to them were: “They shoot me.”

Relatives said the young wife, believed to be in her 20’s, was not handling the ordeal well and had to be hospitalized for observation after her blood pressure climbed to a startling high.

Andre Hinds was shot and killed by armed bandits at his St Lucy home last night.

“I don’t know how people could be so wicked. You mean they got the money and they still shoot him? I really don’t know how people could be so wicked,” the sister cried as she called for the perpetrators to be caught and made to feel the full weight of the law.

Barbados TODAY understands that the couple had earlier heard “strange noises” and had gone to investigate, but saw nothing. Moments later the men ripped the door and started pushing the husband around, demanding that the couple hand over their valuables. One of the armed men is believed to have been injured during the altercation.

Placing her head on the living room table at her Greenidges, St Lucy home, Hinds’ elderly mother Marlene barely managed to get any words out.

She explained the turmoil within, having to come to grips with the fact that hours after seeing the eldest of her three children at the polyclinic, she was looking at him in a body bag.

“It got me weak and shaky. I falling down when I try to walk. He was the best, not because he was my one, because he respect me to the end. You can go in the district and ask anybody,” a sobbing Marlene said.

Hinds, the father of a daughter in her 20s, was a small farmer who raised livestock on property near his home.

Police carrying out investigations at the scene where Andre Hinds was killed last night.

His mother said she shuddered to think what could have happened to her unborn grandchild and daughter-in-law had there been no money at the house at the time.

“He does keep money there because he like to know he got money because his wife pregnant,” Marlene said.

When Barbados TODAY visited the scene around midday, residents were trying to make sense of the tragedy. Some described the deceased as a mannerly individual who never passed by without saying a quiet hello.

One resident who requested anonymity said she saw Hinds yesterday evening when he stopped to ask how she was doing while she was gardening.

“He was always quite respectful. Once I step out on my gallery and he pull up there he would say hello. Sometimes he would give a joke and go along about his business,” the resident said.

“It was so sad to see his wife walking with a torchlight to somebody house screaming ‘them kill he’. You imagine them see that man wife big pregnant and tek he away from she? What Barbados really coming to though? I just can’t understand how you could go in a man house and kill he,” she added.

anestahenry@barbadostoday.bb

28 Responses to Horror at home

1. Christine Carol-ann Ceecee Waithe
    Christine Carol-ann Ceecee Waithe August 27, 2016 at 12:52 am

I DON’T KNOW
    I just don’t know….

2. Richard Braithwaite
    Richard Braithwaite August 27, 2016 at 12:56 am

The government have to get a grip on
    Gun crime on the island…..
    There seems to be be ,a senseless shooting
    every week …!
    What’s going on.?

3. June Willia
    June Willia August 27, 2016 at 1:25 am

Wicked people don’t want to work. May his soul rest in peace and perpetual light shine upon him, my condolences to the family..

4. Arlene LookingGlass
    Arlene LookingGlass August 27, 2016 at 1:33 am

The big ups don’t care because it’s not landing on their door steps, let some of them get hurt you will see an intense change but as long as it’s the poor guy nothing will be done

5. Grace Jonez
    Grace Jonez August 27, 2016 at 1:44 am

Chaaa boy, r I p bro

6. Christopher Macauley
    Christopher Macauley August 27, 2016 at 1:58 am

im one of them people who is against the death penalty, but when your hear these stories, i want them killed right now…

7. Joceline Blackett
    Joceline Blackett August 27, 2016 at 2:08 am

May his gentle soul rest in peace. Condolences to his family, friends and neighbours. I hope these scumbags will be caught swiftly and justice be served. Pure evil they are.

8. Jada Phenix
    Jada Phenix August 27, 2016 at 2:26 am

Those murderers killed someone whose poor just like themselves… How much money then get? How many committed that murder? Blacks are their own enemies. Barbados needs the death penalty back…not the hangman… The electric chair and burn those cold blooded monsters to death.

9. Tony Webster August 27, 2016 at 2:55 am

What are we celebrating? A number? A trumpet voluntary to announce General Elections? We have indeed achieved significant material and social gains, the but seem to be voluntarily blind at the MANY elephants in the room, ( or giant warts on the fair face of this country), when we allow a few ( and these few are NOT confined to criminals) to disparage, denigrate, and destroy the contributions of the average Bajan, over several generations , post independence. This family has been wantonly, and totally, and permanently destroyed. Just like the St. George family many years back. We have NO assurance , or expectation, that swift justice will follow, and indeed, in a few years, the culprits could be out on bail, and ready to ” roll-over” another innocent family. A horror; a national disgrace, by any view. And still….the guns come.

Yes, to achnowledge tees is inconvenient, and embarrassing, but realities must be faced, and dealt with. And the Truth shall make us MORE free; MORE proud; and MORE industrious.

• miche August 27, 2016 at 6:27 am

Tony,If you have nothing to say,,,Say nothing. You don’t have to comment on every post,,,It is better to keep your mouth shut and be taught a fool,,than to open it,,thus removing all doubt

• harry turnover September 1, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Miche…glad you pulled him up.This guy just comes and says a lot of rhetoric on every topic over and over again.
        It got to the stage that WHENEVER I see Tony Webster I would just scroll down and look for SENSIBLE comments

10. Pat James
    Pat James August 27, 2016 at 3:34 am

Lost for words

11. Ricky best August 27, 2016 at 6:10 am

So sad to hear of my schoolmate death who I haven’t seen in years, my deepest condolences to his wife and family may he R.I.P “Shaggy”.

12. Kim a watchman August 27, 2016 at 6:57 am

Why do people use everything to blame the government? They are not perfect and yes they make some bad decisions but all their decisions are not bad. Barbados had crime when things were good. Crime is not only because of the economy. Things hard for everybody but MOST of the citizens are living as law abiding. It is a man’s wicked heart that would cause him to premeditate such wickedness. This was uncalled for just like many more that have occurred before and those that will follow. Stop fuelling these criminals with the excuse that it is because of government that they do these things.

13. Deborah ifill August 27, 2016 at 7:39 am

Rip cuz I am so speechless sad and hurt a great neigbhour and school mate nice Freind a handsome cuz we love you dearly and will miss you very much words can’t say how we all
    feel

14. just real August 27, 2016 at 7:54 am

The law courts of Barbados #MUST #STOP Giving these animals #BAIL when they take people lives these imbeciles don’t have no care for human lives and they killing person for his /her own things then going to a friends reunion in jail eat three square meals a day off of the tax payers money same people whose lives where cut short money then getting bail and coming out to bear lawlessness thm starting younger and younger as young as 16 and they don’t care have no remorse how are we to feel please and wait on justice that is not for us but thm we need to start hanging these mofos to let thm know taking someone’s life int no joke no game thm playing on Xbox or PlayStation my condolences goes out to his family especially his mother and pregnant wife I know the pain of life lost frm a mother’s point of view just take it one day at a time it doesn’t gets better it gets easier

15. Harry Bradshaw August 27, 2016 at 9:19 am

@ miche…Perfect reply to Tony Webster the stuff he writes makes me shudder that they are more people who think like him living in my beautiful Barbados. The man says nothing positive or uplifting.

16. ejd August 27, 2016 at 9:26 am

Resume hanging. Don’t listen to the AG.

17. A Bourne August 27, 2016 at 9:47 am

I’m reading this in the UK, from Bajan parentage, and it saddens me each day to hear of the crime, particularly of life lost, in the process of petty theft in Barbados. Barbados was an Island of so much hope and prospects’ and now the whole of the Caribbean is being hit by the same scourge of gun crime. Condolences to the family and friends. Such a sad loss.

18. Hawkeye August 27, 2016 at 10:17 am

This article is much too long man, get to the point. don’t write a book. At the end of the day, if or when they catch these hitmen cause I think that’s who they really are. Nobody would pump so much bullets in a man unless they want to make sure he’s dead.
    Any these killers are going to spend a few months in prison awaiting trial, released on bail, and here we go again. Time will tell. Remember we don’t hang murderers no more in Barbados. It’s so inhumane. Let’s keep them in Dodds luxury resort for a few years, feed them three square nourishing meals a day at the tax payers expense, then let them out after Durant the acclaimed real son of God says they are model prisoners, they don’t deserve incarceration any longer

19. ANGELA August 27, 2016 at 10:35 am

it seems to me that these guys are brain washed and changed into killer machines and all for what MONEY , I always heard my mother say the love of money is the root of all evil and it seems to be very true they saw that lady big pregnant and still killed the bread winner and father of that child without thinking how can someone in they right mind do such cruel things ,these same young ppl was babies also if they father had been killed and they mother could not support them some of them might be dead now or raised in a home how would they feel when they grow up and heard this , all I can do is ask god to visit them , haunt them don’t let them rest until they give up themselves he made them he knows how to deal with them , RIP IN PEACE SIR ,and to your wife I pray god would strengthen you and keep you and that baby and give you a safe delivery it hurts I have been there I hurt for all the children who lose they parents AMEN

20. Drewboy August 27, 2016 at 11:58 am

It’s sad that the AG and some others don’t realise when he said no hanging under his watch gave these people the motivation to commit crime, whether we admit or not it’s fact. The court system may put them back on the streets with something call BAIL, with total disregard for the family of the victim. Someone once said, “officer i aint got no cxc’s so i rod somebody to go jail and learn a trade wanna doan punish criminals” (end quote) we expect officers to work day and night to catch these people and within a week they back on the streets, the powers that be in knowing that criminals only rob the poor pays little or no attention to it simply because they know they will not be targeted. one guy one lady and a cell phone and it was a national disgrace, what about the death of our people ???

21. Andy Inniss August 27, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Reading about the horrible murder of the young man is very chilling to think what is the island coming to I am a Barbadian living abroad and alway telling folk here in the USA how great Barbados is and very little crime and now we are reading this tragedy make me feel very sorry for the family I wish them well and quick recovery with God blessing.

22. Brewster August 27, 2016 at 4:51 pm

This has bought tears to my ears. OMG what is happening? I hear endless notices of shooting and what not, but no way was I ready for such callousness. This is heart-breaking news to gun down the man in his home with his family. No heart even for a pregnant wife. There is only one sure thing to do when they find them, HANG THEM! RIP My bajan brother and my deepest sympathy to his family.

23. Brewster August 27, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Should read ‘eyes’.

24. Noothercheektoturn August 28, 2016 at 10:55 am

Firstly sincere condolences to the family of Mr. Hinds who was taken so brutally from them. In such cases I have no problem with the death penalty if guilt is proven 100%. If a dog bites someone it is put down. If an animal attacks a human whilst defending it’s territory we hunt it down. If however some sub human form of our species , without provocation ,without conscience, takes another’s life then surely this thing should be put down. Not in a brutal and vengeful way, but in an humane way just as you would put down a rabid dog.

25. Debera August 28, 2016 at 9:51 pm

This make my body shake,the AG needs to be real serious there are monsters around,that poor young lady I could imaging,lord put put your appearance in I ask thee please,and protect us that are close to you amen.

26. kathy-Ann Clarke September 1, 2016 at 3:46 pm

May Andre rest in peace. I hope his wife and the unborn are doing well. Hope she still will have a safe pregnancy. The cold-hearted robbers need to be put up be Nelson statue and castrated, with the whole of Barbados watching. But justice will be served. God is not sleeping.