Woman expresses fear of accused ‘partner’
Acting Chief Magistrate Douglas Frederick tuesday ordered City businessman Ricky Kenneth Yearwood to surrender his travel documents and to stay away from the residence of Jameelia Wahid.
Yearwood, of 3rd Avenue, Grazettes, St Michael was also ordered to report to the Black Rock police station every Wednesday before 10:00 a.m.
The accused was not required to enter a plea when he appeared before the No 1 District “A” Magistrates Court, charged with entering Wahid’s house as a trespasser armed with a weapon. He was said to be carrying a sword.
He is also accused of damaging a cellular phone belonging to Wahid. The indictable offences allegedly occurred on July 17.
Prosecutor Sergeant Neville Watson objected to bail on the grounds that Yearwood had two previous antecedents of a similar nature and against a female.
“Aggravating burglary is a serious offence. What is so aggravating about this offence Sir, is that a cutlass was allegedly used . . . For the protection of the virtual complainant and her children . . . tempers at this time are highly inflammatory and if the accused is granted bail [he may] interfere with the witnesses in the case,” the police officer said.
However, Yearwood’s attorney Neil Marshall countered that his client’s previous antecedents were dated and he had not offended or found himself before the courts since.
Marshall also stated that his client was a manager at a business shared with Wahid and they had worked “harmoniously” since the incident. The two have a child together.
When Wahid took the witness stand, she told the Acting Chief Magistrate that while the two operated a business together, “we don’t have a business together”. She also stated that while he was a good father of their six-year-old son, she was fearful of him.
“I can’t have Ricky around me because he is too abusive and aggressive . . . since I came from the hospital . . . I spent four days there . . . I have not been able to eat or sleep properly because I am in fear that he is going to come back. I have been going through this for five years now I just can’t do it anymore,” Wahid said.
Meanwhile Yearwood told the magistrate he had worked with Wahid leading up to Crop Over and there had been no incidents since the July occurrence.
After speaking to both sides, Frederick granted Yearwood bail to the sum of $10, 000 with one surety.
The accused returns to court on November 24.