Father who ‘choked’ teenage daughter ordered to compensate her
A man who pleaded guilty to assaulting his daughter during a quarrel more than a week ago, was today ordered to reimburse her medical costs.
Waindy Vishensky Taylor told Magistrate Krisite Cuffy-Sargeant last week that during his efforts to get his daughter into his vehicle, he grabbed her and she resisted, but he never choked her.
Prosecutor Sergeant Neville Reid had told the court that the altercation came about last Sunday because Taylor had been repeatedly asking his 18-year-old to remove the remainder of her items from his house, where she no longer lived. The teenager had moved in with her mother two months earlier.
On August 9, Taylor again asked the 18-year-old to remove the clothes, the prosecutor said, and when she told him it was not possible, he began choking her and pushing her to the ground.
However, Taylor had insisted that he never asked his daughter to return for her clothes but had asked her to go back and clean the room she had occupied, which she had “left in a state”.
He also said that on the day of the incident he again told his daughter that he wanted to talk to her because she was “going down the wrong road”, but her behaviour on the day was “aggressive and bombastic”.
However, the youth contradicted her father today, telling the court he had indeed asked her to remove her clothes and when she refused he went into a violent rage and began choking her.
The complainant also had medical bills to substantiate her claim that she had sought medical attention.
Taylor has to pay $200 in compensation by September 2, along with $150 in court costs.