October 21, 2016 - Teenager bamboozles England Teenage off-spinner Mehedi Hasan to ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Local weed cultivation on the rise Marijuana cultivation is on the ris ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Pollard vents on his failed UAE tour PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Kie ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Teen faces indecency charge A St George teen who was charged in ... +++ October 21, 2016 - GAIA wage dispute resolution in sight A prolonged and sometimes bitter wa ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Combermere thrash Graydon Sealy Former champions Graydon Sealy had ... +++

Fireworks in court after mother withdraws as son’s surety

COURT TODAY BLOCKA mother and son came to high words in the District ‘A’ Magistrates Court this morning after the woman removed herself as her son’s surety.

Henderson Levere Roberts accused his mother of being a liar and deliberately trying to have him to returned to jail.

Roberts had pleaded not guilty some time ago to seven charges of theft, robbery and intent to rob.

The 29-year-old was granted bail last July under the conditions that he reside with his mother in The Pine, St Michael, surrender his passport and report to a police station twice weekly.

However, when his case was called this morning, his mother told the court she no longer wanted to stand as surety for Roberts since, “he does curse me all the time”.

“He giving a lot of trouble home and people all ‘bout the Pine frighten for him,” the woman told Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant.

“He tell me he would cut off my head and go in prison and sit down fuh me,” she added.

Roberts interjected and boisterously told the court that since he went home a year ago he had not run afoul of the law.

“That is a lie Mam. So why I ain’t cut off she head in a year and I would do it now? Why she ain’t went and report it to the police?’ he asked. “She trying to put me back in jail?”

“You want help Henderson,” the mother responded.

“Wait. I could be giving trouble and I got my ID card to go and report to the police station and I looking fuh work? You could ask at the police station . . . I never miss a day,” he said. Even as the court asked Roberts to be quiet and give his mother a chance to speak, he continued with his outburst that, “just so she come and withdraw my bail and to mek my life more harder than what it is and I change my life? Who send she down here? I ain’t robbing nobody to give nobody no money and go back in jail?” he concluded.

Cuffy-Sargeant remanded Roberts to prison until September 19.

7 Responses to Fireworks in court after mother withdraws as son’s surety

1. Ashanda Coward
    Ashanda Coward August 16, 2016 at 6:08 am

2. Brien King
    Brien King August 16, 2016 at 6:44 am

If his mother is telling the truth about the threats he made against her then he deserves jail but I question why it wasn’t reported to the police, especially when he have to go there so often, that would have been too easy to address, so something fishy there.

Disobedience to your parents and cursing them is wrong, again jail is ok for him on that if true.

But if the man is true in his statements in court against his mother, then the question is, what is her reasons for doing such to him?

• Brien King
      Brien King August 16, 2016 at 7:02 am

I have read it, if he use to do that before, he is confirming that he isn’t doing that anymore. If he states the truth here, whatever the reason is, he wasn’t been given the proper chance to do that which is right, which can bring about bad blood in his relationship with his mother, which it is highly possible it is over between the two.

• Brien King
      Brien King August 16, 2016 at 7:31 am

It is possible, however, seeing that what he deem as injustice being done to him and no one will really hear him, it is understandable that he forcefully tried to get across his point but to no avail.

• Brien King
      Brien King August 16, 2016 at 8:06 am

That is very true but very sad also, the deception of rehabilitation back into society is just what it is, a deception to those it is intended to fool.

• Kingdom Hearts
      Kingdom Hearts August 16, 2016 at 9:31 am

The bail application she signed meant that If he had any encounters with the law and be charged for anything then she would have to pay the amount his bail was for to the court so to avoid her having to pay she did the smart thing by removing herself . Some people put up their homes as collateral to sign bail with a surety for their family .

3. Rose August 16, 2016 at 7:21 pm

It is NOT if he got into trouble it is IF HE FAILS TO APPEAR AT COURT OR REFUSES TO REPORT TO THE STATION as mandated by the magistrate.