October 22, 2016 - QEH wants more autonomy The state-run Queen Elizabeth Hospi ... +++ October 22, 2016 - ‘Suspicious’ Four years after fire destroyed the ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Warrens win thriller over Dover Warrens Sports Club Seniors registe ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Neymar staying at Barcelona Barcelona today confirmed that Neym ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Tudor hospitalized Former Cabinet Minister and Member ... +++ October 21, 2016 - Three chasing racing honours Tensions are high with just under a ... +++

Jamaica Tallawahs are CPL champions

Jamaica Tallawahs crushed Guyana Amazon Warriors by nine wickets in a lopsided, underwhelming final here Sunday night, to capture their second Caribbean Premier League title with minimal effort.

The 2013 champions bundled out a listless Amazon Warriors for a paltry 93 off 16.1 overs at Warner Park and then raced to their target off 12.5 overs, to wrap up an uncomplicated triumph in quick time.

Talismanic captain Chris Gayle blasted 54 off 27 deliveries with three fours and six sixes while Chadwick Walton saw Tallawahs home with a sedate unbeaten 25 off 36 balls, which included two fours.

The pair put on 79 off 58 deliveries for the first wicket which erased any doubts of any late drama in the contest which failed to live up to pre-game expectations.

Amazon Warriors had earlier flattered to deceive, collapsing from 50 for two in the eighth over to lose their last eight wickets for 43 runs in a shocking batting display.

Jamaica Tallawahs beat Guyana Amazon Warriors in the CPL final. (Photo: CPL)

Sohail Tanvir, batting at number four, top-scored with 42 off 37 balls with six boundaries but was one of only three batsmen to reach double figures and the only one to pass 20.

Pakistani left-arm spinner Imad Wasim was the chief destroyer, taking three for 21 while seamer Kesrick Williams (2-12) and left-arm spinner Shakib al Hasan (2-25) supported with two wickets apiece.

The early warning signs were there when opener Nic Maddinson (0) and Australian Chris Lynn (7) both perished cheaply to leave Amazon Warriors on nine for two in the third over.

Maddinson nicked the fourth ball of the innings – the first he faced – to be caught at the wicket off seamer Andre Russell and Lynn failed to make an impact, chopping Shakib to cover in the Bangladeshi’s first over.

Sohail and opener Dwayne Smith, who made 17, then put on 41 for the third wicket to revive the innings, and seemingly lay the platform for a later assault.

Smith had faced 22 balls and belted a four and a six when he holed out with teenaged pacer Oshane Thomas to long on in the eighth over.

His dismissal triggered a slide from which Amazon Warriors never recovered. The reliable Jason Mohammed was lbw to the first ball he faced in the ninth over, playing down the wrong line to one from Shakib and Chris Barnwell followed in the 13th over, picking out Gayle at mid-wicket with Imad Wasim.

Two balls later in the same over with no runs added, Anthony Bramble missed a swipe and was bowled, leaving Amazon Warriors desperately in need of a saviour.

None was forthcoming, however. Captain Rayad Emrit lasted one ball and when Sohail finally departed to a catch at mid-wicket off Williams at 91 for eight in the 16th over, all hope vanished.

In reply, it appeared initially as if Tallawahs would take a measured approach to their run chase but this was quickly dispelled when Gayle plundered 17 runs from the sixth over from off-spinner Steven Jacobs and a further 18 from the following over by Australian leg-spinner Adam Zampa.

Source: CMC

8 Responses to Jamaica Tallawahs are CPL champions

1. harry turnover August 8, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Ah wonder how Pollard feel now ? he did ALL within his power so that the Tridents didn’t make it to the final 4 so that Trinbago Knight Riders would make it…but Russell paid put to them reaching the final.

2. BoboTheClown August 8, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Stupid comment ,fool .People that have your mindset are ignorant to the nth. degree. I guess you would say that if other bajans were on the tridents they would have done better. Well name two or even one Barbadian player that was in the top ten with runs or wickets during the CPL. One can’t make a dead horse run. a NAG IS A NAG IS A NAG. So are you …..fool.

• Coralita August 8, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Man Bobo, I cud shake yah lil finger on that comment. Too sweet, well said. I asked a number of people who were the bajans they wanted on the team and they could not answer.

3. harry turnover August 8, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Bobo ya CLOWN where you now come man you getting on like a dawg that just get way, running up and down barking at cars and bicyclists and in general making a NUISANCE of yourself not knowing that there is a law against STRAY DOGS like you.
    Look you like many people just don’t know what is going on in the Tridents set up.I would suggest to you …talk to ANY BAJAN member in the Tridents set up and you a confirmed STRAY would find out WHAT IS GOING ON BEGINNING FROM last year.
    Do you know in previous years there were 4 or 5 BAJANS in EVERY TRIDENTS set up and that was the reason the Tridents were so successful.
    This year Pollard decided to INCLUDE 5 MEDIOCRE TRINIDADIANS in EVERY MATCH…BUT a RECOGNISED STRAY DOG like you cannot even recognised that it was to weaken the team….POLLARD DID NOT EVEN PICK DWAYNE SMITH….know the facts or better yet talk to Ashley Nurse or Jason Holder…they would give a WELL ESTABLISHED STRAY DOG like you CHAPTER AND VERSE and I hope that when ya get the FACTS,ya go and get register and don’t forget to WEAR YA TAG…..ya STRAY DAWG !!

• Coralita August 8, 2016 at 10:57 pm

The only person who behaves like a STRAY DAWG up in these blogs is you. Go and read all your blogs slowly and then sit and ask yourself, self why I does get on so though?

You seem to think people have to agree with you, say the same things you are saying or else you launch your attack. Learn to respect other people’s opinion and learn to agree to disagree and move on.

• harry turnover August 9, 2016 at 6:55 am

Another stray dog reads my post you must be the one in heat.The thing is people like you who find anybody disagreeing with you always seem insecure and cannot back up what you are saying with facts,
        The man called me a fool what you want me to do ? and I replied with FACTS and YOU got a problem wid dat ….wha happen to ya ..a MAN HORNED YA…then I am not the person to get ANGRY with…get a woman and horn he back
        “Even the way you write, screams quarrelsome, angry, shouting, bombastic, noise and I could go on but I am sure you get the picture.”…..AND YOU THINK YOU GINE STOP ME.. ya spitting in the air …go wash ya face and wipe ya mout….and flush it……YA STRAY GOG !!

• harry turnover August 9, 2016 at 7:15 am

Looks as though YOU want ME to agree with that CLOWN. Learn to respect other people’s opinion and learn to agree to disagree and move on.
        In my first post I DID NOT DISRESPECT the CLOWN…he called me a FOOL…he DID NOT agree with me and YOU want me to lie down and play dead…..who is you …Mrs. CLOWN ??
        I does CUSS WHO CUSS ME…..and YOU CUSS ME so I CUSS you back….I didn’t get VEX like you.Maybe this is the avenue to get back at me for HIGHLIGHTING your STUPIDITY in previous posts to think of it….ga long..YA STRAY DOG IN HEAT.

4. Coralita August 8, 2016 at 11:18 pm

The Tallawahs is my team, like it or not I am a Chris Gayle / Andre Russell supporter. Congratulations, man I was rooting for you guys.

Three cheers: hip hip hooray! hip hip hooray! hip hip hooray!