October 26, 2016 - Wanted man bulletin Police are seeking the assistance o ... +++ October 26, 2016 - School feeding programmes could help fight NCDs A food and nutrition official has i ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Government has run out of options – Arthur Government’s fiscal policy is inf ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Sick airline A top official of regional airline ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Teachers back away from court threat The Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT ... +++ October 26, 2016 - Beacon supports regulatory move Beacon Insurance Company is giving ... +++

NUPW accuses Kellman of deception

The war of words over the appointment of a human resources manager at the National Housing Corporation (NHC) has taken a stunning twist with the National Union of Public Workers (NUPW) accusing Minister of Housing Denis Kellman of deception.

The NUPW Friday issued a point-by-point rebuttal of the claims made by Kellman on Wednesday after approximately 30 NHC workers staged a brief work stoppage to protest the new hiring.

The union said at the time that the employees had felt aggrieved that Assistant Human Resources Officer Polla Blackman, who had acted in the position for a year – without pay, according to the NUPW – was being overlooked in favour of someone who the union said today was the wife of Kellman’s nephew.

When the concern was raised with the minister on Wednesday he sidestepped the issue, saying that the fact that the two shared the same last name did not mean they were related.

Kellman had also said the newly-appointed executive had emerged as the top candidate during the interviews and was most qualified for the position.

However, in its release today, the NUPW said the minister had sought to deceive the public on his relationship with the new manager.

“The Minister sought to convey that it was a coincidence that the person appointed as Human Resources Manager carried the surname Kellman. He failed to state that the person is the wife of his nephew. This is certainly misleading and seeks to evade the union’s claims of nepotism,” it said in the second of seven points challenging Kellman.

In defending the hiring, the Minister of Housing thanked Blackman for acting in the position for a year,  but contradicted the union’s claims that she had not been compensated.

“I can assure you that the young lady would have been paid for a year in that said position and she was interviewed,” he said on Wednesday.

However, the NUPW today said there was no truth to the Kellman’s assertion.

“ The Minister claimed that Ms Polla Blackman, Assistant Human Resources Officer of the NHC was given a handsome package for acting.  Ms Blackman has not been paid any monies to date for acting over a year as Human Resources Manager,” it stressed.

The union also took issue with Kellman’s claim that the appointment was an attempt by the NHC to comply with the guidelines set out by the Employment Rights Tribunal in its recent decision against the National Conservation Commission, saying the Tribunal did not dictate the method for filling vacancies at the NHC.

It also challenged the minister’s argument that the new Human Resources Manager was employed to put the provisions of the Employment Rigts Act in place and that he was surprised that the workers had walked off the job.

Having previously dismissed the interview process as a sham, the NUPW again argued that Blackman should have been confirmed in the job without having to compete for it.

“In response to the Minister’s comments on defending the selection of the person based on using the interviewing process, the NUPW is not questioning the process but rather the decision to use that process. This is based on the fact that the post of General Manager and Deputy General Manager were filled by the incumbents without advertising the positions. Equally, the Union is advancing that it would be reasonable and fair to extend the same accommodation to Ms Polla Blackman given the fact that she has been acting over a year as Human Resources Manager and is suitably qualified to fill the post,” it maintained.

“The NUPW concludes that presenting the facts and issues surrounding the recent action taken by NHC staff and given the persistent failure of the management of the Corporation in addressing the grievances of its employees, there is clear justification for pressing demand on having their grievances resolved.”

On Wednesday workers employed at the NHC followed through on a threat made last month to walk off the job on the first working day after the Crop Over weekend if anyone outside of the organization had been appointed to the position of Human Resources Manager.

However, following a brief meeting on the compound with NUPW acting Assistant General Secretary Wayne Walrond, they returned to work.

9 Responses to NUPW accuses Kellman of deception

1. Brien King
    Brien King August 6, 2016 at 3:35 am

This employment appears questionable should there be truth to what the NUPW is stating here.

2. Winnie Meade
    Winnie Meade August 6, 2016 at 6:21 am

That not right it no fair at all now see what the union going to do let see if the union got anny kick left

3. realist August 6, 2016 at 12:16 pm

I called it right a few days ago. I surmised that the person had the interview questions beforehand and I was totally right. Shame on you Mr. Kellman, shame on you and the in-law. God does not sleep and all parties involved should await the justice or misery that is going to stem from this one.

4. BaJan boy.. August 6, 2016 at 1:35 pm

This @Brien King is the most ignorant look just leave it there. Kellman is a total disgrace and this is more than enough for him to resign or be dismissed but then again he is a Stuatt pit bull tie short and do as he likes just like Denis Lowe.

• Coralita August 6, 2016 at 2:00 pm

And your party the BLP is perfect and no one in their families whether biological or inherited has ever been employed in any of the ministries they held.

By the way, did you ever call for any of them to resign or be fired?

5. Coralita August 6, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Does the employment rights act states that if you acted in a position you MUST be appointed in said position and that no one outside of the organisation can be appointed in the position if they are more qualified?

Just asking for information. Somebody who knows the ACT, please enlighten me.

6. BaJan boy August 6, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Coralita like Kellman you’d seem not to have any sense of decency,and no knowledge of what prevails in the work enviormnment. It has absolutely nothing to do with the BLP since as far back as I can remember they always tried to ensure decent and fair play. You and Denis Lowe , Denis Kellman,Freundel Stuart and Chris Sinckler got this poor country in the gutter. We know they can’t take out as that is consistent with who they are.

• Coralita August 7, 2016 at 12:19 am

You listen to me, I see your posts all the time and they are always partisan as hell, so partisan they stink. Don’t come up in here all of a sudden trying to play the decency card as it doesn’t gel with the character you put out there.

You don’t know one hell about me, so carry you dirty partisan so and so to the curb. I am not and never was dependent on any government Bs nor Ds for anything. I worked hard as hell and schooled my two children to be independent and they are on their own and they are not dependent on any government either. We pay our way. I work for a reputable and stable company and I take care of my business. I pay my taxes, I am a law abiding citizen. I contribute positively where I can. I’m carrying on the values instilled in me by my parents (HARD WORK). So you come back and clarify for me how I put Barbados in the gutter.

I am not tied to any one of the major political parties in Barbados like you are as I have voted for both and favour none. I don’t have any type of relationship with any of the politicians, none of their lackeys has ever come to my house and will never be welcomed at my house. So for the final time, carry your tail to the curb.

I live a very positive life and I don’t get caught up in the dome and gloom and hum drum negative spewing like you and the likes of you. I am not a complainer and those close to me can vouch for this. I also steer my children away from the complainers mentality and urge them to be thankful for every day God gives them. I do what works for me and I mind my own business and you know what? IT IS WORKING FOR ME!!!!! I am healthy and happy.

• Coralita August 7, 2016 at 12:28 am

The BLP really got your balls tied up in a knot, so much so you can’t even think correctly. If you really think you can mamaguy intelligent people to believe that the BLP full of angels and that they never did anything questionable, you can die trying to convince yourself. Both parties have messed to hell up in many areas, that is why they are voted out as the people see fit. “They always tried to ensure decent and fair play”. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. There is none so blind as those who cannot see.